• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WizKids Yawning Portal new set

teitan

Legend
Have they? I thought they won the contract for the D&D line in 2014 and released the first set in 2015? Their minis are totally different to the 20 or so D&D miniatures sets released before then and Dungeon Command. Are you sure they’ve been supplying the 20 years?
I believe it was before that, like late 4e era but I could be wrong. Around the time WOTC quit doing the D&D minis but definitely not 20 years by any means at all. The last WOTC set was 2011, ten years ago. Yeah, looking at Wikipedia Wizkids released their first set in July of 2014 so this July will be 8 years. Pathfinder Battles launched in 2012, so that hasn't even been ten years and I left the game store I ran in 2008 and Reaper had already started doing their Pathfinder miniatures (which they DO still do releases for periodically today) even before 3.5 was officially cancelled.

It's already begun.

Want the upcoming monster compendium? Too bad, you gotta buy it in a boxed set with books you already own.

It's a timed exclusive. That's a damaging and predatory practice from video games here, now from WOTC themselves. I think that ship has already sailed.
That's part of why I'm concerned. I'm willing to give them a chance on that one because maybe it's a global supply chain issue, but it's concerning, and if it gets repeated, that's going to be a sign the ship has sailed for sure.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Want the upcoming monster compendium? Too bad, you gotta buy it in a boxed set with books you already own.
Assuming you are referring to Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Universe, which is one of the three books in January's Rules Expansion Gift Set, your above statement is misinformation. It was announced during the same event that the Gift Set was announced that Mordenkainen Presents would also be available to purchase separately later in 2022. You will not be obliged to purchases the Gift Set in order to get a copy.

Jahydin

Hero
Assuming you are referring to Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Universe, which is one of the three books in January's Rules Expansion Gift Set, your above statement is misinformation. It was announced during the same event that the Gift Set was announced that Mordenkainen Presents would also be available to purchase separately later in 2022. You will not be obliged to purchases the Gift Set in order to get a copy.
I think you missed the last sentence maybe?
It's a timed exclusive. That's a damaging and predatory practice from video games here, now from WOTC themselves. I think that ship has already sailed.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Regarding Warlock tiles, I quite like them and think they're a good value. I do enhance them with stuff I craft myself, but they're very good. I would say they aren't as good as Dwarven Forge, but they are noticeably cheaper - and the degree to which Dwarven Forge is more expensive is not commensurate with how much better they are (if that makes sense). In other words, I would say that Dwarven Forge is like 25% more expensive than Warlock while only being like 15% actually better than Warlock.

teitan

Legend
Regarding Warlock tiles, I quite like them and think they're a good value. I do enhance them with stuff I craft myself, but they're very good. I would say they aren't as good as Dwarven Forge, but they are noticeably cheaper - and the degree to which Dwarven Forge is more expensive is not commensurate with how much better they are (if that makes sense). In other words, I would say that Dwarven Forge is like 25% more expensive than Warlock while only being like 15% actually better than Warlock.
I’d argue it’s more like 50% with the magnets, the various LED lighting systems, more durable plastic, the attention to detail in the paint schemes, modularity and overall value. The knock against DF is it isn’t as easy to store as Warlock Tiles. I like my warlock tiles. The Town tiles are a much better value and more practical than similar DF sets while the dungeon tiles are on par with DF for just the core DF Dungeon but DF destroys Warlock tiles in function, bells & whistles and extras. Warlock is overall extremely generic. What expansions are available add a good value but it could do with a decent set of risers instead of the small handful in the expansion pack that forces you to spend a couple hundred to get enough to support a small set up.

The DF cavern tiles are without a doubt superior to the upcoming warlock cavern tiles just looking at previews and are marginally more costly. Sturdier to boot.

The overall cost for a decent set is about the same for Dungeons & Caverns. The harder plastic of warlock I question if it will stand up to wear and tear. I kind of dread the inevitable wilderness tiles for Warlock because so far Wizkids has shown themselves to be stingy on paint apps and a good wilderness tile requires a lot of detail especially to make embankments work and their themed battle mats are expensive compared to other brands of similar designs and DF embankments show the potential of such designs using their metal terrain trays used with their magnet systems.

What I do line about Warlock is that it is so compatible with Dragonlock and Openlock but I really hope someone makes a 3D printable clip that magnetizes the tiles instead. That would be more beneficial and increase their usability. I like to put mine on metal sheets so that I can pull them out to put on the table for set piece battles.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Yes - I'm just so used to automatically applying clips that I actually forgot they didn't come with the Warlock sets. That's definitely an issue.

darjr

I crit!
Keep your eyes open on the whole neato bells and whistles with Warlock tiles.

And it’s just a matter of time before third party Warlock accessories show up in gaming stores. The 3D print files market has a lot of them already.

teitan

Legend
Keep your eyes open on the whole neato bells and whistles with Warlock tiles.

And it’s just a matter of time before third party Warlock accessories show up in gaming stores. The 3D print files market has a lot of them already.
Oh for sure but for the price right now you’d think they’d be there 🤔 but I think outside of this Yawning Portal thing that Warlock Tiles are a good price.

darjr

I crit!
@teitan I’m a bit surprised it hasn’t happened yet. But it’s a weird model, not minis really, but terrain. My bet? Fat Dragon tries it next year. Look for a Kickstarter.

Remove ads