WOIN WOIN Fustrations

noldona

Villager
Disclaimer: My rational mind is sure there is a lot going on behind the scenes that I am not privy to, so the following rant is based upon how things appear to be to my emotional mind.

WOIN is really starting to annoy me and I haven't even played a real campaign in the system yet. I backed the kickstarter for the system and so far am annoyed by two main issues. The issues don't really have anything to do with the systems themselves, but more about how they are being managed.

First, while I understand it takes time to write and publish books, the fact that content which was promised in the kickstarter back in early 2014, namely the very vital bestiaries, haven't been created yet. While more content for a system is nice, I wish the content that would pledged and paid for would actually be finished before other content which isn't vital to actually playing the campaign. These bestiaries are one of the things to attracted me to this system. Other generics systems like GRUPS does not provide these which forces the GM to take on the task of build all of the enemies themselves. This is very time consuming and one of the reasons D&D is so attractive as a system.

Second, it's also annoying that O.L.D. appears to be treated like a second class citizen. There have been at least 4 new alien races articles on E.O.N.S. but only 1 new fantasy race article. Don't even get me started on how the N.O.W. system is being treated. I like sci-fi as much as the next person, but I really backed this system for the O.L.D. The generic system with specific stuff for medieval fantasy was one of the draws of this system for me. Other generic systems seem to lack information on running fantasy games (GURPS) or are unbalanced between the fantasy and the sci-fi stuff (RIFTS). WOTC attempted and failed to do something with the d20 Modern and d20 Future books. A well balanced system that is equally fantasy, modern, and sci-fi is something that is really needed. I think WOIN can fill this void, but only if it puts equal focus on O.L.D. and N.O.W. as it does on N.E.W.

Publish the promised bestiaries so a campaign can actually be played (and I want a real bestiary, not the limited list available on the site) and treat each system equally but publishing content for all of them in equal amounts. Since I know it can be a while before the bestiaries are published, some sort of conversion chart to allow the easy conversion of the monsters from the D&D Monster Manuals (don't care if its 3.X ed or 5th ed) into WOIN would be helpful to make this system usable.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The bestiaries are in development. You can see many of the monsters stats and art in the online bestiary. The books are due out in 2019.

OLD v1.2 is just finishing layout and will be out very soon. Just proofreading left to do.

There are conversion documents for monsters etc. in the downloads section on this very site. Here's the d20/WOIN conversion guide:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1341

(There are also ones for other systems).

There’s definitely more than 1 fantasy race on EONS. Off the top of my head, there’s Danuki, three types of Nymphs, Minotaurs, Goblins, Deva, Deeplings, Fauns, Gremlins, Spriggans, Revenants, Night Elves, and three new types of Dwarves.

Hoping that info helps with some of your frustration! :)

Last edited:

easl

Explorer
There have been at least 4 new alien races articles on E.O.N.S. but only 1 new fantasy race article.

I subscribed until about #75 so I don't know what's been published after that, but this should get you started:

#2, #4, #22, #39, #65, #71 - total of 14 new fantasy races
#7, #9, #12, #26 (sort of), #28, #61, #69, - total of 22 new fantasy careers
#19 - cross-genre race/monster
#70 - race-building engine for designing your own races

Since I know it can be a while before the bestiaries are published, some sort of conversion chart to allow the easy conversion of the monsters from the D&D Monster Manuals (don't care if its 3.X ed or 5th ed) into WOIN would be helpful to make this system usable.

At one point Morrus posted a DIY monster-scaler which allowed you to take the creatures described in the on-line, free bestiary and scale them up or down in grade. While sure, your PCs might get tired of bigger and bigger wolves, this does allow you to tune generic encounters to whatever grade your PCs happen to be playing at. I can't find it now, but then again I'm lazy and didn't try very hard before posting this...

I am very thankful Morrus publishes so much the web site for free. I kinda hate it when RPG publishers save their great stuff for supplement after supplement that you have to pay for. I understand the economics of it, but I still don't like it. I'd much rather have 20 free monsters that I can scale up or down and reskin as needed, vs. a collection of 100 I have to pay $25 for. Though I certainly wouldn't mind a cross-system monster conversion article like the one you requested. All the flexibility of everyone else's stuff, without having to spend $20 for yet another system's variant of 'goblin.'

Last edited:

M3woods

Explorer
Let's not forget the WOIN Monster Creator. This has been a major help in designing a good starting point for new creatures and NPCs. I have it bookmarked and use it often.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/dnd_view_block.php?id=2032

As for supporting material, I have at least 3 projects in the pipeline for N.O.W., 2 for O.L.D., and 2 for N.E.W. under my Orbital Decay brand. Once I finish 2 projects that absolutely MUST be completed soon I'll begin releasing products on a semi-regular basis.

Last edited:

Randeth

Explorer
OLD v1.2 is just finishing layout and will be out very soon. Just proofreading left to do.

I'm definitely looking forward to this. I got very confused when reading an EONS article that mentioned Vital Defense which is totally missing from OLD. :)

I want to get a hardcopy but am holding off until 1.2 is out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I got very confused when reading an EONS article that mentioned Vital Defense which is totally missing from OLD. :)

In the meantime, VITAL DEFENSE is used for constitutional attacks - poisons, that sort of thing. It's just like the other three defences, but it's based off END, and you can use the survival, or fortitude skills.

Let's not forget the WOIN Monster Creator. This has been a major help in designing a good starting point for new creatures and NPCs. I have it bookmarked and use it often.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/dnd_view_block.php?id=2032

As for supporting material, I have at least 3 projects in the pipeline for N.O.W., 2 for O.L.D., and 2 for N.E.W. under my Orbital Decay brand. Once I finish 2 projects that absolutely MUST be completed soon I'll begin releasing products on a semi-regular basis.

Hey Morrus, what's in the pipeline for NOW?? Just curious!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases