Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

Zardnaar

Legend
Disney has announced 10 new MCU and Star Wars shows.

Without directly saying it looks lovely he the focus won't be on movies.

So yeah theatres huh?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
So yeah theatres huh?
Before the pandemic, the general performance and reception of the Disney-era Star Wars films was not great. They had cancelled plans for any more Han Solo films, the Boba Fett movie, and the Obi-Wan movie, as well as a rumored new trilogy by Rian Johnson. Disney was clearly taking a break from Star Wars films in theaters long before Covid 19. So I would not take this as a solid data point regarding the future of theaters. Time will tell. Let's look at how theaters are doing in August 2021.

ccs

41st lv DM
Disney has announced 10 new MCU and Star Wars shows.

Without directly saying it looks lovely he the focus won't be on movies.

So yeah theatres huh?

For SW this isn't really news. Disney told us nearly a year ago that for SW the focus for the near future was going to be tv/streaming.
And we already knew they had a bunch of Marvel shows planned.
But even without such statements, why do you imagine they went to all the expense of building thier own streaming service? Surely they were planning on filling it with more than just thier back catolog....

Zardnaar

Legend
For SW this isn't really news. Disney told us nearly a year ago that for SW the focus for the near future was going to be tv/streaming.
And we already knew they had a bunch of Marvel shows planned.
But even without such statements, why do you imagine they went to all the expense of building thier own streaming service? Surely they were planning on filling it with more than just thier back catolog....

No their plan is to turn it into the same size as Netflix by 2023.

It will make as much money as everything else combined by that point.

That's gonna accelerate movie geddon.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well splashed out to see A Christmas Gift from Bob.

They spent a lot revamping a while ago so bought cheeseburger meal and a beer at the theater.

Atm got whole theater to ourselves so see who busy it is. Wouldn't mind coming back for WW84.

ccs

41st lv DM
Just found out the local Cinemark is actually open.
Last I knew it was completely closed except for private $99 group parties (good if you've got enough people to justify the cost, not so good for groups of 1_2...)
I ran into the one manager at the grocery store.
I guess their turnout for anything has been super low. Like 20 people for the same evening showing last sat. And low single digits for anything during the day.

So maybe I will get to see WW on the big screen vs adding HBOmax just yet.
I'll just wait until the 1st/2nd week of Jan & hit an early- mid afternoon showing on a Tuesday or something.
If there's even 5 other people that day there'll still be an acre of space between any of us.:)

Zardnaar

Legend
Just found out the local Cinemark is actually open.
Last I knew it was completely closed except for private $99 group parties (good if you've got enough people to justify the cost, not so good for groups of 1_2...)
I ran into the one manager at the grocery store.
I guess their turnout for anything has been super low. Like 20 people for the same evening showing last sat. And low single digits for anything during the day.

So maybe I will get to see WW on the big screen vs adding HBOmax just yet.
I'll just wait until the 1st/2nd week of Jan & hit an early- mid afternoon showing on a Tuesday or something.
If there's even 5 other people that day there'll still be an acre of space between any of us.:)

I noticed my one was offering rent a theatre private group bring your on game console $250 NZD ($175 approx). Only 2 hours though.

Or hire a theatre up to 20 friends and watch some older movies.

Ended up with 6 people in it but it wasn't a AAA or even new release.

Apparently it's made less than 100k and it was a great movie so it's sad.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Finally info on when we in the UK can watch it via digital on-demand rental services (doesn't say which).

January 13th. That's nearly 3 weeks after the US, so I still predict this will be the most pirated movie in history.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And Roku and HBO have worked out their differences, so Roku-users can now get HBO Max, so that WW1984 (and all the other WB films coming up) will be accessible.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, they really need to figure out a better strategy for getting these streaming offerings to people outside the US. These days, people aren't prepared to wait 3 weeks and get it completely spoiled (while not being able to discuss it with their US-based online friends until it's too late). With an entire year with all of their movies? They'll lose so much money worldwide to piracy unless they come up with something better.

Remove ads