Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

Sacrosanct

Legend
They were fueled up for the 4th July celebration display event.
A museum fuels up its donated jets for 4th of July? Does that actually happen? As a former aviation crewchief myself, there's a lot of checks and prep work (preflight checks) that have to be done with any aircraft before you can just take off.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A museum fuels up its donated jets for 4th of July? Does that actually happen? As a former aviation crewchief myself, there's a lot of checks and prep work (preflight checks) that have to be done with any aircraft before you can just take off.
I assume people stealing planes ignore the checks on account of the fact that they’re stealing the plane?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I assume people stealing planes ignore the checks on account of the fact that they’re stealing the plane?
What I'm getting at is that you can't skip them. There are plugs and blocks placed everywhere on an aircraft until right before you take off when the pilot does their pre flight check. and in the case of many aircraft with turbine engines (like the UH-60s I crewed), you have to kick on the APU before starting the engines. There isn't a self respecting air crewmember who would leave an aircraft alone without any of the safety features in place. It's be a huge violation of the FAA rules for one, not to mention just general safety.

Again, I get that with my background, I'm probably picking up on things that most people don't even notice. And it's not limited to this movie (I could only make it 5 minutes into that movie with the Rock, San Andreas I think). I just wish big budget movies would at least talk to a consultant first.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What I'm getting at is that you can't skip them. There are plugs and blocks placed everywhere on an aircraft until right before you take off when the pilot does their pre flight check. and in the case of many aircraft with turbine engines (like the UH-60s I crewed), you have to kick on the APU before starting the engines. There isn't a self respecting air crewmember who would leave an aircraft alone without any of the safety features in place. It's be a huge violation of the FAA rules for one, not to mention just general safety.

Again, I get that with my background, I'm probably picking up on things that most people don't even notice. And it's not limited to this movie (I could only make it 5 minutes into that movie with the Rock, San Andreas I think). I just wish big budget movies would at least talk to a consultant first.
Try being a doctor, lawyer, cop, physicist, martial artist, soldier, hacker, or, well, anything! Movies be movies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They're almost all trainer aircraft. For an instructor and trainee pilot.

The tandem seating arrangement is used in fighters, to keep the slim aerodynamic profile Side-by-side shows up in trainers, and anything big - cargo and bomber aircraft, f'rex - where being slim isn't a major design issue.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
RE drive-ins, there's a nearby town where I live, Newberg, that has had a drive in for decades, and is pretty popular.

As for the movie, I found it meh, for many of the same reasons everyone else did. I liked the first, but this one ranks towards the bottom of DC movies (which isn't a high bar).

As a veteran, I also got bugged by things many probably didn't catch, like how a fighter jet can't fly to Cairo from the US, let alone make it back in a few hours. Or how when the MK-19 fired grenades and went to slow mo, the entire grenade, including cartridge, was shot through the air from the barrel.
you in Portland also?........my friends are now about 50/50 on it, rather than 70/30 saying the movie is bad.....we'll see if I pony up for it or not.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Apparently based off of the Panavia Tornado from what I could find, but moved it to a side by side instead of tandem seating. Also, a weird choice because what is a plane doing at the Smithsonian fully fueled ready to go that has only been in service 4 years at that point? (the tornado came into service in 1980 and saw its high point during the first Gulf War).

Then again, in the video game scene there were video games not invented yet in 1984, and Steve (WWI pilot) wouldn't have any idea how to fly a modern jet, and it would be impossible to fly to Cairo, and MK19 grenade launchers apparently fire the entire cartridge in 1984,...and...and... 🤷‍♂️ You'd think with that budget, they could afford to at least talk to a military consultant first.
I've seen lots of people complain about the jet, but you're the only one I've seen who've noticed the grenade launcher thing. I'd guess it's something along the lines of the scraping sound they add when pulling a sword from a leather scabbard. Doing it right is realistic for those in the know, but would be confusing to the average moviegoers.

Ryujin

Legend
The tandem seating arrangement is used in fighters, to keep the slim aerodynamic profile Side-by-side shows up in trainers, and anything big - cargo and bomber aircraft, f'rex - where being slim isn't a major design issue.
Also Grumman A6 Intruder ground support/strike aircraft. Only other one that I can think of at the moment.

Remove ads