Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

Sacrosanct

Legend
RE drive-ins, there's a nearby town where I live, Newberg, that has had a drive in for decades, and is pretty popular.

As for the movie, I found it meh, for many of the same reasons everyone else did. I liked the first, but this one ranks towards the bottom of DC movies (which isn't a high bar).

As a veteran, I also got bugged by things many probably didn't catch, like how a fighter jet can't fly to Cairo from the US, let alone make it back in a few hours. Or how when the MK-19 fired grenades and went to slow mo, the entire grenade, including cartridge, was shot through the air from the barrel.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
As a veteran, I also got bugged by things many probably didn't catch, like how a fighter jet can't fly to Cairo from the US, let alone make it back in a few hours. Or how when the MK-19 fired grenades and went to slow mo, the entire grenade, including cartridge, was shot through the air from the barrel.

I enjoyed the movie. But the jet scene bugged me in so many ways. Stealing a jet? WW1 pilot able to just grok how to fly a modern fighter? Someone who doesn't know what fireworks are (and, um, they were around back then) deciding to steer into them? Flying to Cairo on a single tank of fuel??? And the timing was way, way, way off both ways.

I mentioned this to a friend yesterday and he was like, "It's an action movie. Are you counting the bullets in the gun?"

Ryujin

Legend
I mentioned this to a friend yesterday and he was like, "It's an action movie. Are you counting the bullets in the gun?"
Answer: No, but you should at least hear the casings hit the ground.

Been hearing similar comments, and more, about the movie. At this point I'm on the fence as to whether I watch it now, or just wait for it to hit Netflix/Prime/Hulu instead. The comments are coming from people whose opinions frequently mirror my own.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah. I noted all those issues with their stealing a jet, and then... just didn't worry about it.
I had a number of issues with that scene that I just didnt worry about too. However, I did google to find out if side by side seater jets existed. I was glad to find out they do, although it seems weird as hell.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I had a number of issues with that scene that I just didnt worry about too. However, I did google to find out if side by side seater jets existed. I was glad to find out they do, although it seems weird as hell.

They're almost all trainer aircraft. For an instructor and trainee pilot.

*Edit the only exception I'm aware of is the F-111, where they are side by side so that both people can share the radar screen

I did wonder what jet it is, fridge horror kicks when you realize that some of those wishes were to get out of an abusive environment.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I did wonder what jet it is, fridge horror kicks when you realize that some of those wishes were to get out of an abusive environment.

Apparently based off of the Panavia Tornado from what I could find, but moved it to a side by side instead of tandem seating. Also, a weird choice because what is a plane doing at the Smithsonian fully fueled ready to go that has only been in service 4 years at that point? (the tornado came into service in 1980 and saw its high point during the first Gulf War).

Then again, in the video game scene there were video games not invented yet in 1984, and Steve (WWI pilot) wouldn't have any idea how to fly a modern jet, and it would be impossible to fly to Cairo, and MK19 grenade launchers apparently fire the entire cartridge in 1984,...and...and... 🤷‍♂️ You'd think with that budget, they could afford to at least talk to a military consultant first.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Apparently based off of the Panavia Tornado from what I could find, but moved it to a side by side instead of tandem seating. Also, a weird choice because what is a plane doing at the Smithsonian fully fueled ready to go that has only been in service 4 years at that point? (the tornado came into service in 1980 and saw its high point during the first Gulf War).

Then again, in the video game scene there were video games not invented yet in 1984, and Steve (WWI pilot) wouldn't have any idea how to fly a modern jet, and it would be impossible to fly to Cairo, and MK19 grenade launchers apparently fire the entire cartridge in 1984,...and...and... 🤷‍♂️ You'd think with that budget, they could afford to at least talk to a military consultant first.
They were fueled up for the 4th July celebration display event.

Remove ads