Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

I can't imagine going to a theater right now, but I'll be happy to check it out on streaming. Pixar's Soul is also coming to Disney+ on the same day.

One wonders if this represents the breaking of the floodgates, if we'll see Black Widow, Dune, and others released in a similar model? I think it unlikely (Marvel has said "we're focusing on the TV series right now"), but if there's enough revenue, maybe?
We may have an answer on black widow Black Widow Is Going Direct To Streaming, Revealed In Leaked Promo

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
@Sacrosanct : I feel for you, and I hope your partner's illness is short. But the fact her temperature is below normal implies to me that she may have something other than Covid-19. That might affect your thinking about how she got it? But I'm a nobody on the internet, so you should certainly do what you think best.

As for the movie, I'll certainly try and see it in cinemas, since I'm lucky enough to live in Australia. Through luck and good management we've managed to mostly get rid of the bastard disease. (cross fingers!)

GreyLord

Legend
With the Vaccine around the corner, as long as theaters can survive till then, I would have thought they would have triedt to push it back until at least May. If we can get the vaccine and it is effective, I think people may be sick enough of being cooped up that the theaters will have a rush on them like nothing else.

PS: Unsure, we'll see...Black Widow may be a simultaneous release in both Theaters and streaming. Streaming may be better/cheaper for families while theater would be cheaper for the individual.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Yes, I think that there will be pent-up demand for movies in theaters once the vaccines have had their expected effect.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
With the Vaccine around the corner, as long as theaters can survive till then, I would have thought they would have triedt to push it back until at least May. If we can get the vaccine and it is effective, I think people may be sick enough of being cooped up that the theaters will have a rush on them like nothing else.

If you are correct, I daresay that, for movies that are actually good, a theatrical re-release would still do the trick.

Sell you the movie now, for streaming. Put it in a few theaters so that you can be up for awards this year. When the theater experience is a viable option again, release the movies again in theaters and get your money a second time.

Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For stuff that goes streaming like Wonder Woman, I’ll do my part to see them and help make them a success.

Definitely. Quality content right now can be hard to come by. And, I daresay that it can be a bit of shared experience for people around the holiday - even if they aren't all physically together, they can watch and share thoughts afterwards, which is a goodness.

While it could certainly happen, there are a number of other reports indicating the opposite of this. Of course, Disney could certainly be keeping their cards close to their proverbial chest. My feeling is that trying to hold off until going to a movie theater is a thing again will involve waiting for a long darn time. Even with a vaccine, I suspect that Box office takes will remain lower for years to come. Even after a vaccine, people aren't going to be coming out in numbers like before.

Remove ads