Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Had the opportunity to watch this the other day but ended up watching The Croods 2. It was a fun movie and when trying to decide between the two, I ended up choosing the movie I felt would be more fun.

Just watched it, and I was very disappointed. Gal Gadot is amazing, and Chris Pine and her still have great chemistry. But the movie feels tonally off. It doesn't even come close to the first movie, which also had a lame finale with a CGI villain. It also surprised me that although the movie is set in the eighties, it never feels like it.

They do surprisingly little with the time period, and several of Chris Pine's reactions seem weird. He's never seen a train before? Seriously? He's not from the dark ages, they had trains in his time period. And which US President was that supposed to be? If you are going to have your movie be set in the 80s, you've got to show that president. I
They combined a few different WW villians for the movies version of Lord, but my understanding is that he's supposed to be like Gordon Gecko or J.R. Ewing oily/greasy of the 80s,and yeah the president is meant to be Reagan,

and as for the 80s..the film doesn't play up the glamour of the 80s or how so many great things came from that era. Instead, it shows the 80s as a time where people were senselessly greedy and resentful of one another. isn't that how it earned the nickname The "me" decade? Also his hair...is that a helmet or actual hair?

And honestly, Pedro looks like he's enjoying himself towards the end, i think he might have chipped a tooth on that podium.

A shrinking violet who is reborn via supernatural means as feline-themed enemy. Am I describing Catwoman from Batman Returns or Barbara?

I think it was supposed to be someone LIKE Reagan. There was even a jar of candy in the background, which I assume was a nod to Reagan’s jelly beans

That looked nothing like Reagan imo. Didn't talk like Reagan either. It is like they didn't even try.

and as for the 80s..the film doesn't play up the glamour of the 80s or how so many great things came from that era. Instead, it shows the 80s as a time where people were senselessly greedy and resentful of one another. isn't that how it earned the nickname The "me" decade?

This is a wonderful point. The movie doesn't seem to like the 80's very much, when this could have been a wonderful opportunity to explore a different era. It feels like a missed opportunity.

It seems to me like they could have had so much fun with Diana showing the 80's to her WWI era lover, and showing him how the war is remembered now. WWII isn't even mentioned!

I also feel like the nonsensical detour that the movie takes to Egypt is redundant, since the plot curves back to the USA in the end.

Last edited:

I think it was supposed to be someone LIKE Reagan. There was even a jar of candy in the background, which I assume was a nod to Reagan’s jelly beans

There were a few video games in the arcade that were after 84. If you’re gonna make a big deal about the date, like putting it into the title, then I’d hope at least someone should have checked these things. But again, that’s my chief complaint. Not just the date, but so many things just wrong that could have been solved by a simple google search first. It’s lazy.
Writing up TV tropes? lol Honestly,with everything else in the movie,it feels like you're the guy who just wants to keep pouring fuel on the fire despite it already being good enough lol

Does anyone remember the motivations of the first movies villains or was it just for the evulz? As a Dad, I can see Lord's motivation for his actions, wanting his son to be proud of him.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It also surprised me that although the movie is set in the eighties, it never feels like it.
It...what? There are movies from the 80’s that feel less like they’re set in the 80’s.
The movie doesn't seem to like the 80's very much, when this could have been a wonderful opportunity to explore a different era. It feels like a missed opportunity.
Ah, so it’s just that it’s not especially nostalgic about the 80s?

Thank god. I mean, a missed opportunity to what? Do what every other of a thousand nostalgia pieces set in the 80s do, and glamorize a decade that wasn’t actually that great? That would have been a wasted opportunity, and has been in a thousand other works. The opportunity to actually bother to say literally anything at all about the 80s other than “lol look at the famous thing you all remember from back then.”
Does anyone remember the motivations of the first movies villains or was it just for the evulz? As a Dad, I can see Lord's motivation for his actions, wanting his son to be proud of him.
Destroy the pesky mortals, maybe? Waste of a great actor.

Someone said soemthing about Pascal being cheesy and not much else in the first act and I just...what movie did they watch? I felt for him more than any other DCEU villain so far. Right in the first act.

Sacrosanct

Legend
you're being nitpicky considering the movie's number of other issues.
I have issues with everything else as well. But these are not nit picky. One or two continuity issues? Fine. But this film is loaded with them, and for a blockbuster movie budget, it’s not acceptable. On top of the other issues, and this is just a meh film at best IMO

Someone said soemthing about Pascal being cheesy and not much else in the first act and I just...what movie did they watch? I felt for him more than any other DCEU villain so far. Right in the first act.
I don't think I will ever be able to get the mental image of him as Agent Peña from Narcos out of my head and the stach he had lol.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases