• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Woo-Hoo! Heading back to playing D&D in person soon! (for the first time since February 2020)!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
One week and counting until my first face to face D&D game since February 22, 2020!

So Excited Hype GIF by TV Land

Richards

Legend
Likewise, our two 3.5 campaigns have been on COVID hold but we're planning on starting back up on Saturday, 29 May 21 with my "Dreams of Erthe" campaign and then the following Wednesday night for my son's "Raiders of the Overreach" campaign. We're all looking forward to it!

The Wednesday campaign's normally pretty much weekly, while the Saturday one is tentatively every other Saturday but that seldom works out that way. It may well be weekly for a while, in any case - I have over a dozen adventures already prepped for that campaign. (It gave me something to do while we weren't actively playing.)

Johnathan

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Before the pandemic I had one group that met every week in person. During the pandemic I've been playing with two groups.

However, during the pandemic folks in both groups moved further away. My group that started online will never meet in person (we are too spread out now). It will be interesting to see what happens with my other group, though. We are friends first and a group second, and gathering together has always been a big part of that friendship. But with players moving further away, I'm not sure we will be going back to all in-person games!

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
My second vaccine dose is Monday. Tentative plans for an outdoor, in-person game on the evening of May 15.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the pandemic has actually caused a massive INCREASE in the amount of D&D I'm playing, all of it online, both as a pro DM and with friend groups. My current schedule:

Every other Monday - DMing Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage 6:30pm-8:30pm (friend group)
Every Tuesday - Pro DMing Curse of Strahd 7pm-9pm (they are now level 7 & in the castle; game started in-person but moved online in March 2020)
Two Saturday evenings per month, 6pm-10pm - player in Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus (recorded for ongoing podcast.)
2-3 Sundays per month 11am-3pm - pro DMing Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden (transitioned last week after completing Lost Mine of Phandelver)

I also run paid and free one-shots maybe a couple times per month.

It's pretty clear to me that from now on, online games will be the rule, not the exception, for me. The Strahd group will likely continue indefinitely, but players relocated during the pandemic and in-person games will be a few times a year at most. For the podcast, it's obviously better for recording quality if everyone works from their home studios. For Rime of the Frostmaiden, players are in New Jersey, Florida, and Copenhagen.

The one group that could most easily return to in-person is the Mad Mage group (which is the one that will be meeting up next month) - but that particular adventure is just WAY easier to run on Roll20 anyway. Even when we do play in person, I am considering using a big projection screen in the backyard to show the Roll20 map.

I think that at this point my in-person games are likely to be more special occasions or at client request.

dave2008

Legend
Most of my primary group is young and healthy. So they can't even schedule appointments yet. I'm looking at late June, at best, for an in-person session with them.
Not sure where you live my 18 & 20 year sons both got there second shot last week. Your young and healthy group might be eligible. Here (Ohio), anyone 16 and older can schedule to get the vaccine.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Not sure where you live my 18 & 20 year sons both got there second shot last week. Your young and healthy group might be eligible. Here (Ohio), anyone 16 and older can schedule to get the vaccine.

Same in NY and PA - but Umbran's post is was from before that was the case.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Like I wouldn't know the dates for my state? I wrote that in March - almost exactly a month ago, in fact. In my state, they opened the door to everyone 16+ on April 19th.

aco175

Legend
My group has not stopped meeting, but we are all family that live in close proximity. My father has his vaccine through being old and my brother through the Veteran's Administration (VA). I put in with the VA for one and could register through the state page, but am not that worried and can wait if others need it first. My son is not 16 yet and cannot get it in Massachusetts, yet.

Remove ads