• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wood Shape and Crafting?

Hecateus

First Post
What effect does the spell Wood Shape have on Crafting wood items? ...as far as skill checks and such.

The Context: A Druid in our party has Craft: Wood, and the Wood Shape spell. He would like to make a Masterwork Staff, but this is ludicrously difficult at level 3. Can Wood Shape be cast to make this task easier?

jgsugden

Legend
Hecateus said:
What effect does the spell Wood Shape have on Crafting wood items? ...as far as skill checks and such.

The Context: A Druid in our party has Craft: Wood, and the Wood Shape spell. He would like to make a Masterwork Staff, but this is ludicrously difficult at level 3. Can Wood Shape be cast to make this task easier?

There are no specific rules on this issue, at least as far as I know.

IMHO: Faster, yes. Easier not much. I might give him a +2 bonus on checks and allow him 1 staff per casting, but I wouldn't allow it to be too easy. Heck, a character might give up adventuring at 3rd level if he could easily sit home and make three 300 gp masterwork quarterstaffs every day.

OTOH: It is just a masterwork staff for a 3rd level character. If he has trouble crafting one, you should just throw one into an upcoming treasure hoarde. By 3rd level, every character should have a masterwork item or two (in most campaigns).

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Hecateus said:

I had my druid takes ranks in craft:shaping specificly... but craft wood is cool too. I would give healthy bonuses, and moreso, allow him to shape the same staff several times to get it up to masterwork level. However, the only catch would be that he would have made the staff masterwork for him. That is, he has balanced the staff perfectly to his hand placement, swing and strength and gets a +1 bonus to attack when using it. For anyone else its just another peice of wood. At higher levels, if he uses the staff as his primary weapon and contiues to increase his crafting skills I might be inclined to add additional bonuses.

But I'm a soft touch for that flavor idea.

Kahuna Burger

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads