Spelljammer Working on a Collection of Custom Spelljammer Ships

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I am almost certain there is a scorpion Spelljammer ship, but am not sure. That said, I made this anyway...

Atsuko Mizumi is a kitsune pirate captain aboard the Sasori, which is Japanese for scorpion. Her crew consists entirely of yokai (Japanese folklore shapechangers), which include such beings as kitsune, hengeyokai, and tanuki, as well as more rarely a same-bito (shark shapechanger). Their ship is fast and maneuverable, though lightly armed and armored. It hides in the terrain of moons in ambush, eyeing for passing ships to raid.

sasori.jpg

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
After reading about someone's homebrew Spelljammer setting based on mezoamerican culture, that inspired me to try this - especially since I wanted to create sails from scales or feathers, so this is perfect. And since I went all Japanese on the last illustration, I decided to celebrate another civilization.

The Quetzalcoatl is an Olmec Royal Armed Sloop with 3 ballista. The helm is upsidedown - on the other side of the gravity plane, in the mouth, where the pilot sits on a cushioned blanket rather than a chair.

quetzalcoatl.jpg

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Somebody asked if I'd do a Stargate inspired pyramid ship, but as a ziggarat, since I did the quetzalcoatl. Simple enough (the pyramid, gates and towers were existing models in my 3D program, and I purchased the Mayan Calendar, because I wasn't going to model that!)

Temple of the Moon, Olmec Imperial Dreadnought Flagship, with 4 catapults. This vessel accompanies the Olmec fleet at war and for important ceremonies. The emperor with his family, entourage and guards, along with his high priest is actually on their way to the system PItz ball court championships being held on the Chacoan world. The emperor's son is leading the vanguard aboard a Quetzalcoatl armed sloop, seen in the distance. The Mayan calendar is the sail.

mayan-temple-ship.jpg

back in 2E days, I think most DMs created varieties of SJ craft, if they used that setting. Mine was the Hydra, an incredibly clumsy ship that had 5 'heads' on the front, all mounted on long 'necks' that moved around. Each head had a ballista mounted in it, and whoever was mounted on the helm in the ship could make the heads move around and point in any direction needed. Can't remember just how the PCs took it down, think they just basically outmaneuvered it; it was kinda slow.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I planned on doing 12 ships, at least, and I've got 12 ship illustrations done, but it doesn't feel finished to me... so I'm doing 3 more Spelljammers. Since I did 2 Mezoamerican ships, and I've done 1 Japanese ship with the Sasori scorpion pirate schooner, I thought I'd do one more, more official Japanese ship, and one more larger ship.

This is the Jade Dragon, the Shogun's Imperial Battleship, with 3 ballista, and a trebuche. The dragon head and the Japanese castle are purchases. I modeled everything else. I didn't put legs on the dragon, and am considering that, but the first time I used simulated jade with a slight translucency - it was set higher, but I lowered it, so it would show the exterior details better.

Two more to go... then the deck plans for all.

jade dragon.jpg

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
This is the Hellspawn, a Mephistophelian Patrol Ballista Boat, so a small ship, slightly larger than the Sparrowhawk (the first ship I created and already did deck plans for). This ship has 2 ballista mounted, one of the head, and one on the arch of the back. I needed an evil craft for something other than pirates... enjoy!

hellspawn.jpg

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I must have tired when I posted my art count, I counted one of character illustrations as a ship, so I still needed one more Spelljammer. I hadn't done a fish ship yet, and this is something I'd already created as a starship sized monster for my Starfinder setting, and it fits for something odd...

This is Deep Space Angler, a Sahuagin Carrier-Cruiser, with a trebuche on it's back, and a ballista on a plank at the gravity plane in it's mouth that can be extended or retracted into the tail section, to give the ballista a 300 degree firing arc. That huge maw is the carrier space, able to hold up to two small spelljammers or one medium sized spelljammer. While the gravity plane seems misplaced, everything below mouth floor to the tail is sea water, a labrynthine pool for sahuagin life. Lacking sails, it's bulk is it's primary "sail" with it's fore, mid and tail fins to give it some modicum of maneuverability. This is probably the slowest Spelljammer known, but it's an "airport" that moves slowly, that is it's military purpose.

Now I got 15 - need to map..

Attachments

• angler-cruiser-carrier.jpg
    angler-cruiser-carrier.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 68

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Final Spelljammer ship and illustration is complete. This is Lolth's Handmaiden, a dreadnought class drow spelljammer ship, although this one is slightly larger than a true dreadnought. It was built by a drow noble house, making it's escape from an underdark city and taking it's family and possessions into Spelljammer space. They have located a large astral spider nest along the fringe of the Outer Wilds and will be establishing a drow city there. You could consider this a colony ship of sorts, one built for an entire noble house... enjoy! Now mapping ensues.

drow house colony ship.jpg

Remove ads