• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Working on a point-buy Class system!

Slit518

Adventurer
I am working on a point-buy class system. However, I am not quite sure what point values everything should be worth.

I will upload a PDF version of what I have so far, if anyone wants to take a look at it. And for any of you "crunchers" out there, if you want to guage the appropriate point values for said class features, go ahead.

View attachment D&D 5e Point Buy Class.pdf

Elon Tusk

Explorer
So for 30 points I can take:
Wild Shape 3/long rest,
Rage 3/short rest,
3 extra attacks,
an animal companion,
unarmored defense,
a d10 hp,
and indomitable.

Or, for 30 points, I can take 5 tool proficiencies.

Last edited:

discosoc

First Post
It's not really something that can be balanced in d&d... The "value" of any given ability isn't measured in absolute terms, but rather in relation to the other stuff that ability is going with (or not going with).

*edit*

The only way it could be balanced is if you group the abilities into classes or roles, and having each character choose their base role at creation. So the "fighter" could access d10 hd cheaper than the rogue, but gaining spell slots would be more expensive for him than if a "wizard/caster/striker/controller/whatever" role were to purchase it. I still think balancing that would be a nightmare, but it's the only way I can see it happening.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
There's a lot of 'package deals' and 'grandfathered in' stuff in D&D class design, and there are some things that are arguably over- or under-valued.

If you could come up with an objectively-correct point-buy system, you'd only discover that different classes add up to different totals.

dave2008

Legend
So for 30 points I can take:
Wild Shape 3/long rest,
Rage 3/short rest,
3 extra attacks,
an animal companion,
unarmored defense,
a d10 hp,
and indomitable.

Or, for 30 points, I can take 5 tool proficiencies.

Wild Shape 3/long rest = 4
Rage 3/short rest = 12
3 extra attacks = 18
an animal companion = 4
unarmored defense = 4
a d10 hp = 5
and indomitable = 2

= 49

PS _ I'm not suggesting the values are correct (that's why he is asking for help), but your math was off

Slit518

Adventurer
To be fair, I haven't listed requirements yet. Some of these things will have requirements. For example, Extra Attack would have a level 5 requirement, Extra Attack 2 a level 10, etc...

Xeviat

Hero
Generally, each level is balanced against an ASI, in theory. There's a few ribbon levels.

I wouldn't do point buy, but 5E could be simplified into talent trees. Also, with some effort, all characters could be balanced around the same hit dice if you played with things (warriors would want higher con, ranged characters could get away with lower con).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There's a lot of 'package deals' and 'grandfathered in' stuff in D&D class design, and there are some things that are arguably over- or under-valued.

If you could come up with an objectively-correct point-buy system, you'd only discover that different classes add up to different totals.

I have to agree with Tony. And not only are there package deals, there are things that aren't together because they are too good. When you see people talking about taking a 2-3 level dip just to get a class feature because how it reacts with what you have, being able to just combine both of them at "normal" prices in a point-buy gets very powerful.

If you want more flexibility, I'd suggest something more like Chinese menu design. "One from column A, one from column B." So options that are very powerful to take together or you want niche protection on can be in the same column and you only get one of them.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
How about you get 10pts per level. 20 pts at 1st level.

Then you just have to work around cost of every ability/ASI/skills/feature.

I.E. +1 to an ability would cost 4pts

one skill prof would cost 2pts.

One caster level(whatever the class) would cost 8pts

Extra attack would cost 10 or 15 pts,

1 HP per level would cost 4 pts

Tool or language would cost 1 pt.

armor prof would cost 4 pts per category.

Martial weapons would cost 4 pts

Expertise 4 pts per skill,

Unarmored defense 4 pts,

Paladins divine grace 12 pts,

etc...

Remove ads