World Cup Thread?

66f3u9b3pc1a1.jpg

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I'll take a shot and say England 3-0, USA 1-1-1 Wales 1-1-1, Iran 0-3. Would USA and Wales play again or both advance? How does it work?

Best case in England vs USA is another draw. How does that impact the standings?

delericho

Legend
I'll take a shot and say England 3-0, USA 1-1-1 Wales 1-1-1, Iran 0-3. Would USA and Wales play again or both advance? How does it work?

Best case in England vs USA is another draw. How does that impact the standings?
Quite often these tournaments throw up what would seem strange results in the third set of matches, because everyone is working through permutations.

If in the next matches England beat the US and Wales beat Iran, then going into the third match England would have already qualified and only need a draw or better to top the group, while Wales would need a draw or better to qualify. And both teams would be keen to avoid bookings and, especially, injuries. Under those circumstances, they might well play out an incredibly tedious 0-0 draw for mutual benefit.

(It's also true, as we saw with Scotland at the Euros last year, that the other British nations seem to do disproportionately well against England. So even if they do go for it, it wouldn't be entirely shocking for Wales to get something against an England that is, on paper, considerably stronger. So it could also turn out to be a really exciting 0-0 draw for mutual benefit. :) )

Remove ads