World of Darkness is also coming to TV!

It's not just Dungeons & Dragons, or this week's announced Scion TV show, that are getting the live-action treatment. The World of Darkness is getting a TV and movie franchise too! According to Deadline, Paradox Interactive (owner of the World of Darkness) and The Witcher and The Expanse studio Hivemind. Writer-producer Christine Boylan said "“The World of Darkness story universe is...

It's not just Dungeons & Dragons, or this week's announced Scion TV show, that are getting the live-action treatment. The World of Darkness is getting a TV and movie franchise too!

Vampmasq.jpg

According to Deadline, Paradox Interactive (owner of the World of Darkness) and The Witcher and The Expanse studio Hivemind.

Writer-producer Christine Boylan said "“The World of Darkness story universe is deliberately and unapologetically inclusive and diverse. It has always made a point of including equal gendered characters, protagonists and antagonists of every race, and representation of all creeds – bringing a female and diverse audience to gaming like nothing prior. Its games and fandom are a place where women, POC, and the LGBTQI community feel welcome and we are very proud to bring these stories to life.”

The developer, Eric Heisserer is the showrunner for Netflix's current Shadow and Bone series.

k.jpg

It's not WoD's first appearance on TV. Back in 1996, a short-lived 8-episode series called Kindred: The Embraced was broadcast.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Many people don't get to the lord or to the core of movie on the first pass.
I think it's probably fair to assume you are a much more hardcore Underworld fan than the general audience is. (I'm that way with the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, myself.)

On a superficial level, the way that most audiences will engage with the movie franchise, it looks almost exactly like oWoD as she was played, if not how Mark*Rein*Hagen may have intended it. Sexy vampires in fetishwear fighting hulked out werewolves in the most glitzy and glam way possible.

Yes, there was deeper lore involved, especially later on, possibly due to the eventually realized danger of litigation, but someone sitting in the theater with their bucket of popcorn could reasonably assume they'd just seen an oWoD movie, which is why a financial settlement eventually (apparently) occurred.

I disagree with and frankly find your posts rude. I really don't care to continue this conversation, I guess you win?

If you want to personalize this, then fill your boots. The discussion as it stands doesn’t require much analysis, with equal frankness. Regardless of any loose connection with Romeo & Juliet - it really is loose - and regardless of how flippant the original description given of Underworld was, it was pretty much on point for 99.9% of people watching the Underground movies.

Last edited:

My own it'll-never-happen adaptation dream would be Demon: The Fallen. This seems to be the really unloved latecomer among the original World Of Darkness, but I'd rate it as my second favourite, or absolute favourite if we're not counting the anniversary edition of Changeling.

Introduce the characters as regular humans living regular lives....who all die near the end of the first episode and then make a "miraculous" recovery. But they're changed somehow, and we see them pulling together fragments of memories from the demon that's now living in that body. Build things up slowly (who are these creatures, why are they here?) over the first season as they establish contact with each other, compare notes and realise who they are and what's happened while they were imprisoned in Hell, all while beginning to spread their influence, recruit thralls and deciding if they want to follow the tormented drives of their monstrous side or embrace the human life they inherited. Then bring in the Earthbound cult.....

Mine's Geist: the Sin-Eater, because ' Undead PI whose clients are ghosts and whose partner is a SUPER ghost' writes itself.

Azuresun

Adventurer
I think it's probably fair to assume you are a much more hardcore Underworld fan than the general audience is. (I'm that way with the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, myself.)

On a superficial level, the way that most audiences will engage with the movie franchise, it looks almost exactly like oWoD as she was played, if not how Mark*Rein*Hagen may have intended it. Sexy vampires in fetishwear fighting hulked out werewolves in the most glitzy and glam way possible.

Yes, there was deeper lore involved, especially later on, possibly due to the eventually realized danger of litigation, but someone sitting in the theater with their bucket of popcorn could reasonably assume they'd just seen an oWoD movie, which is why a financial settlement eventually (apparently) occurred.

As I recall, the big sticking point was the term "Abomination" for a werewolf / vampire hybrid, used in WoD to describe the same thing.

Stormonu

Legend
Shouldn't this be "Another World of Darkness TV Show?" They already did one in the late 90's or 00's that didn't get a second season, as I recall.

And it should be noted that Vampire was heavily based/influenced by the Anne Rice novels, and as I recall she went a couple rounds with White Wolf before things were settled.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
And it should be noted that Vampire was heavily based/influenced by the Anne Rice novels, and as I recall she went a couple rounds with White Wolf before things were settled.
I think that was healthy for the game line. Although I liked the early Vampire Chronicles (before Lestat traveled in time with the Devil and drank from Jesus and I am sorry, but that's all 100% true), the game line really flourished when lawyers forced it to go in different and interesting directions.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads