World of Darkness is also coming to TV!

It's not just Dungeons & Dragons, or this week's announced Scion TV show, that are getting the live-action treatment. The World of Darkness is getting a TV and movie franchise too!

Vampmasq.jpg

According to Deadline, Paradox Interactive (owner of the World of Darkness) and The Witcher and The Expanse studio Hivemind.

Writer-producer Christine Boylan said "“The World of Darkness story universe is deliberately and unapologetically inclusive and diverse. It has always made a point of including equal gendered characters, protagonists and antagonists of every race, and representation of all creeds – bringing a female and diverse audience to gaming like nothing prior. Its games and fandom are a place where women, POC, and the LGBTQI community feel welcome and we are very proud to bring these stories to life.”

The developer, Eric Heisserer is the showrunner for Netflix's current Shadow and Bone series.

k.jpg

It's not WoD's first appearance on TV. Back in 1996, a short-lived 8-episode series called Kindred: The Embraced was broadcast.

I'm here for the inevitable What We Do In The Shadows mash-ups...

Excited Fx Networks GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

But seriously, I wonder how it will differentiate itself from True Blood, which even has a reboot coming. True Blood strip-mined WoD, which strip-mined The Vampire Chronicles (which also has a TV series in development).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
But seriously, I wonder how it will differentiate itself from True Blood, which even has a reboot coming. True Blood strip-mined WoD, which strip-mined The Vampire Chronicles (which also has a TV series in development).
It's hilarious how much everyone involved in True Blood insisted they didn't know anything about the World of Darkness, when everything about it screamed otherwise, down to every supernatural type having their own massive societies that somehow managed to stay hidden from the world and each other while simultaneously being all over the damned place.

Also the horniness. And also the extreme draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaama.

The easiest way for this show to differentiate itself from True Blood, though, would be for the lead actors to have plausible Southern accents.

"Beeyul!"

"Suh-keh!"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hopefully this turns out better than the video game.
I wonder if the original plan was that they launched around the same time. The question is what will happen now as the video game is basically on hold.

I also wonder which lore they will use, old or new Wod, or mix it as desired, and what parts they will use (Vampires, Werewolves, etc.).
Onyx Path isn't mentioned anywhere above, so I would assume this is oWoD.

Onyx Path isn't mentioned anywhere above, so I would assume this is oWoD.
It is, it was confirmed at some point.
It's hilarious how much everyone involved in True Blood insisted they didn't know anything about the World of Darkness, when everything about it screamed otherwise, down to every supernatural type having their own massive societies that somehow managed to stay hidden from the world and each other while simultaneously being all over the damned place.
It was astonishingly implausible that no-one knew, yeah. There's also the amazing episode where they're all wearing black leather and have rocket launchers and machineguns and stuff which seemed like a direct VtM "trenchcoats and katanas" parody.
Doesn't really need to differentiate itself from True Blood, given that show finished in 2014 (and most people stopped watching it a while before that).

Realistically it's bound to be set in a big city and be a lot more wilfully edgy than True Blood (and the supernatural powers more supernatural).

Ixal

Hero
Is known from which perspective it will play? Although I think it can only be humans or vampires as they are the most popular in and outside of VoD and also vampires are still the most accessible to an audience unfamiliar with WoD.

See also, as @ko6ux mentioned, Underworld. While World of Darkness wasn't exactly 100% original either, there have been so many properties that came out since it was released that were clearly cribbing notes from it.

Also the horniness. And also the extreme draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaama.

The easiest way for this show to differentiate itself from True Blood, though, would be for the lead actors to have plausible Southern accents.

"Beeyul!"

"Suh-keh!"

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases