WorldOfDarkness.com Closing Down?

White Wolf has had a terrible year. As a result, they're issuing apologies, recalling books, changing the management, being absorbed into parent company Paradox, advertising for a new Brand Manager, and now... it looks like they're closing down WorldOfDarkness.com.

White Wolf has had a terrible year. As a result, they're issuing apologies, recalling books, changing the management, being absorbed into parent company Paradox, advertising for a new Brand Manager, and now... it looks like they're closing down WorldOfDarkness.com.

wod.png

The message below went out to subscribers of White Wolf's online book reader service. Thanks to Distant Shore for the scoop!

Duz9DgJWoAYYQoZ.jpg-large.jpg

Badvoc

Explorer
Yeah, 5e has really been struggling ever since they started pandering with their "trans acceptance in the core rules" and their "gay characters in their adventure books", and all that multiculturalism everywhere. Unlike World of Darkness, those guys smartly defied the oversensitive politically correct masses, and now they're reaping the rewards, earning both acclaim and monetary riches for their trouble.
WoTC handled this in the best way possible IMO - presenting the fact that a given NPC is / was in a same-sex relationship as just another part of their background. No real fanfare: "This is just another fact about this particular guy, and not even the most notable fact". I like that. Usually, it's mentioned simply because their relationship is somehow relevant to the part they play in the adventure.

I mean, in some of the hardback adventures, there are casts of hundreds of NPCs. It's not unreasonable for one or two of them to be gay. In a world full of dragons, undead, magic and gods knows what else, two dudes being happily married is hardly noteworthy.

The one misstep they've made in my opinion, and it's a minor one, was they they tried too hard to defy stereotypes in Dragon Heist. I though the results were clumsy.

Ultimately, Wizards have made a big effort to widen the appeal of 5e (and by association, RPGs in general). They should be applauded. I never thought DnD would be a mainstream hobby again, let alone one that appears to now have an appeal way beyond its traditional demographic. They've demonstrated that you don't need controversial writing to make your game inclusive.

5ekyu

Hero
I recieved my email notice about my subscription cancellation, and subsequent refund (for the back catalogue library) this morning too.

It isn't a surprise - this is what White Wolf being dissolved means. The Onyx Path will continue, with their own business and licences. Not sure what they'll do with with the V5 license while they tailor the content to their own fanbase - but it's there anyway.

For me, however, Helmgast's Kult: Divinity Lost now becomes the default flagbearer for the 'modern horror, aimed at mature audiences' schtick. The new edition is incredible, but considering the hullabaloo with White Wolf this year, I'm hoping it remains a more low key release within the wider RPG community, notwithstanding it's own censorship issues before it's release.

"notwithstanding it's own censorship issues before it's release."

For one who wasn't paying attention - can you drop a link or a word about those issues so i can see what they were?

Thanks either way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

For one who wasn't paying attention - can you drop a link or a word about those issues so i can see what they were?

Thanks either way.

There’s a link in the original article, above.

5ekyu

Hero
There’s a link in the original article, above.

i was asking about the KULT issues - was that covered in the article? i know the WoD ones.

nevermind thanks

i just googled KULT and censor and got enough.

shoulda just done that rather than asking - doh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks either way.
The link is difficult because it was during Kickstarter discussions. It may be on the Kickstarter comments section if you can access them. In a nutshell, the Kult: Divinity Lost campaign was delayed (for about two years in total). One of the main delays lay in the problems they had with getting the book's original content - mainly in the imagery, I think - through to USA distribution. The retail release had to have images removed/replaced, while Kickstarter backers eventually got the uncensored version (which I have). I haven't been able to check the difference, but I think the writing itself is unchanged.

5ekyu

Hero
The link is difficult because it was during Kickstarter discussions. It may be on the Kickstarter comments section if you can access them. In a nutshell, the Kult: Divinity Lost campaign was delayed (for about two years in total). One of the main delays lay in the problems they had with getting the book's original content - mainly in the imagery, I think - through to USA distribution. The retail release had to have images removed/replaced, while Kickstarter backers eventually got the uncensored version (which I have). I haven't been able to check the difference, but I think the writing itself is unchanged.

thanks... wonder if they will pdf out the uncensored for purchase at drive thru or other.

Well, Modiphius have been having a hell of a ball recently regarding the RPG market. Hopefully they will be able to do the same with the World of Darkness (or Chronicles of Darkness).

And that they can relaunch WOD dot Com. Really hope I can still cash in those trial months in the future.

However.... what about the "Trinity" RPG line ("Trinity"/"Aberrant"/"Adventure")? The Kickstarter for the core rulebook for the remade line (core rules and then expansions for different parts of the timeline a la WOD/COD) went through, but does anybody knows if this will affect it?

And do you guys think this will affect online availability of the books? I really want to try to buy the other COD (the "regular" books, not quite as interested on the specific monster lines at the moment) and the "Trinity Universe" line in the future, when it's affordable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks... wonder if they will pdf out the uncensored for purchase at drive thru or other.
My understanding is no.

Speaking as someone who has the uncensored version, if it's just the imagery I think it is, then I don't think you are missing too much. I am generally opposed to censorship, but the real value of the Kult game is in the text (which is also strictly for adults, but largely because of the concepts presented, rather than profanity).

I think that new White Wolf has been treated unfairly in many ways. A lot of the hatred towards them has been pure speculation. I am afraid that Modiphius will only create a bland game.

I agree with previous speakers. KULT: Divinity Lost from Helmgast is the only pure horror RPG on the market now. And no, I do not mean edgy.

5ekyu

Hero
My understanding is no.

Speaking as someone who has the uncensored version, if it's just the imagery I think it is, then I don't think you are missing too much. I am generally opposed to censorship, but the real value of the Kult game is in the text (which is also strictly for adults, but largely because of the concepts presented, rather than profanity).
Agreed. If its just fig leaves and naughty bits - dont care.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads