• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's Largest Dungeon in actual play [Spoilers!]

spacecrime.com

First Post
PaulofCthulhu said:
Our group is perhaps taking a different approach to recording the journey/doing a review: audio

The best part is that you guys are British, so your adventures sound all cultured to stupid Americans like me. :)

Seriously, sounds like you all are having fun!

cheers,

Chris Aylott

doseyclwn

First Post
Hey all, I posted this in one of the yahoo groups, but I figured I'd post it over here as well (hopefully reach more folks as well).

First off, Kudos to an awesome product. I swore after RTTTOEE that I wouldn't run another big ass dungeon crawl, but this made me change my mind. Secondly, I run several bi-weekly groups in the Richmond, VA area and am about to start running WLD this comind Wed. I have a slight problem, though... the party I'm gonna start on it is level 4 already, and I don't wanna skip some of the area A goodness. Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be MOST appreciated.

Also, how do you introduce new characters into the dungeon (like if new players join or old players have their characters die)?

CrimsonScribe

First Post
PaulofCthulhu said:
Well, I posted this info in the other WLD thread, but this may be a more appropriate place. Our group is perhaps taking a different approach to recording the journey/doing a review: audio

World's Largest Dungeon audio session 1 over at www.rpgmp3.com

That's pimped enough for now I think.

Paul

I'd just like to say that I spent my afternoon listening to both recordings and I couldn't turn it off. I hope it doesn't take you much longer to get more installments hosted, as it is a refreshing change.

P

PaulofCthulhu

Glad you like it. Session #2 has already been recorded and should be up within the week, and session #3 is due for recording October 4th. There's also photos, PDFs and maybe some video too. It's a lot of fun to do. :)

Paul

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
doseyclwn said:
1. I have a slight problem, though... the party I'm gonna start on it is level 4 already, and I don't wanna skip some of the area A goodness. Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be MOST appreciated.

2. Also, how do you introduce new characters into the dungeon (like if new
players join or old players have their characters die)?

1. The scaling up of monsters is in the room description. Follow that. I plan on doing that as my PC's are level 3/4 and will prolly smoke through it if I don't. Just follow the advice in the room.

2. Why the Lantern Archons of course! When one PC dies and then the player builds another one, I plan on having the LA say: "Incoming gate traveler, uniting with current forces" and then disapear and in 1d6 rounds later appear with the PC in tow. I kill 2 birds with one stone. When they ask "Why is he here? Why do we need him" the LA just responds: "To defeat the demonic forces one must have all available assets at ones disposal." I force the party together, whether they stay together is a whole nother option.

Another recourse is to find them as prisoners. This whole place is a prison, what's one more person captured and bound and then found. Granted they won't have their stuff so that will suck, but them's the breaks.

twofalls

DM Beadle
I personally dislike the prisoner theme, but only because its so overdone. I've made provisions for each of my players to have a backup character that can be brought in through a sorcerous link when thier primary dies. After that... they play monsters! The Savage Species book makes this a simple matter and it encourages interaction with unlikley denziens of the dungeon when any encounter is a potential recriutment opportunity! I have six players, each with two characters, and when all twelve of those characters die, the game ends and the players loose (yes, this is an rpg you can actually loose). Its generated a level of play that they haven't experienced before and they are clamoring for more.

We have a very intense Forgotten Realms game that we established and have been running for two years now. The characters have just reached 12th level and the amount of prep time needed for sessions has increased for me a great deal, so we picked up the WLD to act as filler for when I haven't had time to get the next session fully prepped. Well, I have a session ready to go next game but more than half the group voted to play in the WLD rather than the regular game at our next meet. That says a lot.

CrimsonScribe

First Post
I started my preparations this afternoon by redrawing the maps for the players using 25mm grids on 250gsm cardstock (keeping the 5ft scale because at 10ft I would be lucky to get a single room from a sheet of cardstock). Even at 25mm per 5ft I only got 5 rooms out of an A2 sheet of card stock (yes, A1 is huge by comparison but it still had to be done).

I'm planning on not using the dead Titan and there not being a fissure in A1. Instead my players will literally fall through the ceiling as a result of an earthquake. This means that they will be the first new entrants into the dungeon for possibly hundreds of years. Now I either have to change the backstory for Longtail or develop whole new encounters, as technically the kobolds, Orcs and Troglodytes never entered the dungeon. Seeing as I want to keep the whole fiendish look and feel (it is a demonic prison after all), I'm going to need new encounters.

I intend to run with the Kyton idea as put forward by Jim, so I spent yesterday looking through my monster books (MM1, MM2, MM3, FF, MoF, ToH, CC1) for appropriate low level demonic nasties that would be of weak enough will to fall for Achsyyx's covert ploy, but I came up blank (or should I say I ended up with so many posibilities I couldn't decide what to use).

I think I will replace the orcs with Deurgar tribe led by a Durzagon. A "natural enemy" of the Deurgar would be ideal to replace the troglodytes, but I'm not sure of what yet. Seperating them will be the "neutral" race that acts as a natural buffer, though their ranks will be decimated because it was their leader that opened the portal and promptly fell before the Kyton and his demoinc brethren that now roam the halls.

So what I'm after is two appropriately low level races of intelligent beings (not just wondering monsters), one of chaotic evil alignment and the other of neutral evil. If anyone wants to make some suggestions, please don't hesitate.

nerfherder

Explorer
spacecrime.com said:
The best part is that you guys are British, so your adventures sound all cultured to stupid Americans like me. :)
Cultured? With all those softy-southerner Yorkshire accents? ;)

Hehe! Seriously though, I'm going to try & convert them to WAV so I can burn them to CD to listen to on the way to work.

Each of the two files are too long to fit onto CD. Also, it would be nice to split each file into Tracks, so I know where I'm up to. Do you have any suggestions of where to split each file up (preferably times)?

[Edit] OK, I've compiled the 1st CD, breaking it up into the following tracks. I've hidden them with spoiler tags, for obvious reasons:
00:00:00 Pre-game rambling
00:06:33 Introducing PCs
00:11:20 Adventure begins
00:24:18 The cave
00:34:44 Door into darkness
00:42:54 Large room and a cough...
00:56:32 Heavy smell of stale air
01:08:58 Dead Orc

Cheers,
Liam

Last edited:

twofalls

DM Beadle
Kyton/Imp/Portal Encounter

I designed the Kyton to replace Longtail by doing several things. I lowered his SR to 12, made him vulnerable to silver weapons, made his control chains ability a move equivalent action, and then allowed him to control as many chains as he could see in a darkened room (60'R). I gave his control chain ability a +1 to hit bonus and 1d3 pts of damage per chain, then in every 5' square of the room I sunk 2 chains into the ceiling which hung down to within 3' of the floor. He had fast healing 5 which is strong against a low level group and prolonged the battle. With that I imposed a -2 to hit modifier upon every large weapon or missile weapon used in the room becouse of interferance with the chains. I was careful to describe the many razors and spikes set throughout the chains, and that the room stunk of carrion. Small bits of rotting flesh and wet blood caked the chains and from one was suspended RatTail's head, torn from his shoulders and pierced top to bottom with a spiked chain... goggles still on his head. :) The floors all about were stained with wet blood and unreconizable chunks of flesh from many flayed victims.

Then I made the portal active. When the Kyton entered the room from RatTail's lair I made it pulse to the Devil's heartbeat, this was a clue to the players that it would stop being active if they could kill the devil. Then every d3 rounds it disgorged a menace. I varied the menace strength depending upon the fortunes of the players who were close to the portal. The first was a Darkmantle that gave those fighting near it severe headaches... then a rat swarm, then a Lemure, and finally a giant fiendish rat as the fighters there were being worn down.

Keep in mind that the party that fought this battle was 6 PC's strong and all were at level 2 (and they hit the room early, I had intended them to all be level 3). The biggest danger was the chain control. An unlucky PC, who didn't pay close attention to where he was fighting could be hit by 18 chain attacks (the square he was in, plus 2 in each surrounding squares). They figured out that by using a wall, and standing close together they minimized the number of these attacks they suffered. Even so, the wizard died to them. The Kyton had to keep moving to avoid being flanked, and even at 2nd level the PC's were inflicting serious harm upon it.

In the end they dropped the Kyton, finished off the last portal creature and had exhausted the Priests heal spells and all thier healing potions save one. I'd kept Achsyyx out of the battle for two reasons. One, because he would have tipped the scales and the party may all have died, and two because the Imp had direct orders to keep the portal open and so he stayed hidden (and thus alive) to watch over his charge.

I was later told that the fight recalled to some of the players a movie called Hellrazor. I don't watch horror flicks, and I was dissapointed a bit that the creativity of my encounter which I'd thought of as rather original and cool was used in a movie... but it was an intense and enjoyable fight regardless.

P

PaulofCthulhu

nerfherder said:
Cultured? With all those softy-southerner Yorkshire accents? ;)

Hehe! Seriously though, I'm going to try & convert them to WAV so I can burn them to CD to listen to on the way to work.

Each of the two files are too long to fit onto CD. Also, it would be nice to split each file into Tracks, so I know where I'm up to. Do you have any suggestions of where to split each file up (preferably times)?

[Edit] OK, I've compiled the 1st CD, breaking it up into the following tracks. I've hidden them with spoiler tags, for obvious reasons:

Cheers,
Liam

Neato!

Hey, most of us are Northern. I married a roleplayer from Guisborough and the Half Orc is from Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Hal is uploading session #2 this week, with a few more photos to boot.

Paul

Paul

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads