D&D General Worlds of Design: A Question of Balance

Some people think that every character class must be equally balanced with every other class, but why is that necessary? Are they competing with the other players in a co-operative game?
Some people think that every character class must be equally balanced with every other class, but why is that necessary? Are they competing with the other players in a co-operative game?
aquestionofbalance.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay
The Destination or the Journey?

When approaching a discussion of class balance, it's worth asking the question: is an RPG session a destination or a journey? Or to put it another way, is an RPG session "mental gymnastics" or an "adventure"? I think the latter in both cases. Consequently, shouldn't character classes be about different ways to succeed, not about "power" (or whatever it is that has to be "equal" between each character)?

The concept of asymmetry--different starting capabilities and assets on each side--is very important in some kinds of games, like historical strategy games. It's hard to sensibly reproduce history symmetrically, in which all players start at the same level of power; for an example of how this is handled in a board game, see Risk. There's good reason for this. One of the easiest ways to achieve "balance" in a game is to make it symmetric, with everyone beginning "the same."

The need for symmetric play has spilled over in video game design, with all classes being balanced against each other, even in single-player. That style of game development has influenced modern tabletop games for similar reasons: keeping all players equal smooths out the game's design. But I think something is lost in forcing symmetric design in a tabletop role-playing game.

What's Class Balance, Anyway?

The first problem is that "class balance" is a fungible metric. Presumably, all classes are "equally powerful" but what does that mean, really? If play is all about the individual, the game turns into a competition between players to see who can show off the most. For games where personal power is important, this can make sense--but I don't find it conducive to the fundamentals of teamwork Dungeons & Dragons was built on. If D&D is about cooperation, flattening out every character's power implies that they're in competition with each other.

When the game is about the success of the group as a whole, about co-operation, then there may be compensations for playing a less powerful class. In fact, some of the classes by their very nature are inherently unbalanced for a reason. Jonathan Tweet's most recent article about The Unbalanced Cleric is a perfect example. And there are opportunities for creativity in how your "less powerful" character copes with adventuring.

Variety is the Spice of Life

There's also something to be said for the variety that comes from characters of differing capabilities. It doesn't matter to me if some characters are more powerful than others, whether it's because of class, or items owned, or something else. Different characters with different power levels creates a form of interesting play.

Here's a real life analogy: The soccer striker who scores a lot versus one who makes many chances/assists and helps the team maintain possession. But in a profession where it's so hard to score, the one who scores a lot will usually be regarded as a better player ("more powerful"), or at least the one who is paid more. Yet both are equally valuable to the team. And offensive players tend to be more highly regarded than defensive players.

Magic is Not Balanced

Then there's the issue of magic. In earlier versions of D&D, magic-users did much more damage than anyone else thanks to area effect spells (I tracked this once with the aid of a program I wrote for a Radio Shack Model 100!). In a fantasy, doesn't it make sense for the magic users to be the most powerful characters? Heroes in novels, who often don't wield magic, are exceptions in many ways: without a lot of luck, they would never succeed.

Designers can avoid the "problem" of character class balance by using skill-based rules rather than rules with character classes. You can let players differentiate themselves from others by the skills they choose, without "unbalancing" them. And shouldn't each character feel different? There are certainly archetypes that character classes often follow, yet those archetypes exist for reasons other than "play balance!"

Still, won't magic use dominate? A GM/game designer can do things to mitigate the power of magic. For example. magic can be dangerous to use, and the world can be one of low rather than high magic, e.g. like Middle-earth more than like The Wheel of Time.

The Value of Combined Arms

In the only RPG I've designed--which is intended for use with a board game, so that simplicity is paramount--I use a classless system. But for a bigger game such as D&D, multiple classes help provide both differentiation and opportunities for cooperation ("combined arms"). And I enjoy devising new character classes. Whether you need a dozen or more classes is open to question, however. Nor do they need to be "equal."

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
B/X D&D has great balance. Every class can do things the others can't, which means they're forced to rely on each other. Fighter's fight monsters. Thieves scout. Magic-user provide are there to help the party escape otherwise unwinnable situations. Clerics turn undead and clean up after wounds and ailments. Two fighters, a mage, a cleric, and a thief is a great party who all serve to cover each others' weaknesses.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder if the author is more than willing to always play a commoner with no special abilities, in a party of upper-level characters? Or maybe play a game in which you are a low-level character among a party of high-level NPCs who do everything meaningful?

No?

Well, then idea that "this is supposed to be collaborative" and "are they in competition" doesn't really dismiss the issue, does it?

Broadly speaking, players are not usually in competition, but most of them would like their fair share of focus time - moments where they get to be awesome, when their actions are seen as central to the action in the game. Nobody comes to the table to sit on the sidelines and not meaningfully contribute.

It is, in theory, possible for a GM to force sharing of focus time in a highly imbalanced game. But a balanced game makes sharing focus a bazillion times easier.

NotAYakk

Legend
It is, in theory, possible for a GM to force sharing of focus time in a highly imbalanced game. But a balanced game makes sharing focus a bazillion times easier.
Why do you define balance as equal focus?
He didn't define balance as equal focus. He did so very explicitly in the very text you quoted. He stated balance makes sharing of focus easier. That doesn't define balance as equal focus. If I say "eggs make baking cookies easier", that doesn't mean I define eggs as chocolate chip cookies!

Why would you quote something someone says, then immediately ask "why are you saying something you didn't say?"

My first RPG character was a magic-user in Basic D&D. I was very excited to play a character I envisioned as Gandalf or Merlin wading through foes with blasts of arcane death.

The reality is that I hung out in the back of the party doing nothing for 90% of the fights. Once or twice a session I got to yell "I cast Sleep!" and roll a handful of dice. Then I went back to lurking behind the Fighters. Now, Sleep was a powerful spell so I probably contributed just as much to the success as anyone, but this fact didn't make it any less boring. Needless to say, it wasn't long before I kamikaze'ed my Magic-User and rerolled a Dwarf.

The argument "its not a competition" misses the point. I can "win" in a game but if I am overshadowed or not contributing 90% of the time it is not going to be a positive experience.

practicalm

Explorer
A lot of how people will see balance will depend on the goal of their RPG playing. Are you interested in the story, then characters are balanced if they can contribute to the story in the ways they want to succeed. Are you focused on combat, then the players will want to look at damage per round. Are you interested in the character development, then players might want characters that can do unique things.

Session zero should be helping to identify the players' and GM goals for the campaign, and help choose the system and characters to help make those goals fun.

I think the Buffy the Vampire Slayer game had some interesting mechanics to help balance the slayer versus the Scoobies.
Also, one of the best times I ever had was joining a game of over powered characters with a fairly mediocre half elven fighter cleric who had fun failing as much as having fun succeeding. I had fun making a silly character when everyone else was building characters that had the most pluses.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
My first RPG character was a magic-user in Basic D&D. . .

The reality is that I hung out in the back of the party doing nothing for 90% of the fights. Once or twice a session I got to yell "I cast Sleep!" and roll a handful of dice. Then I went back to lurking behind the Fighters.
This is needed to frame the discussion. Despite Mike Mearls's assertion...
« Playing DnD is an exercise in collaborative creation »
These are the words of M Mearls in the preface of the PHB.
D&D is also about combat, and lots of it.* My suspicion is that "class balance" doesn't come up much if it's not in a D&D context, and it's not very useful to apply it across the board (no pun), anyway.

So, is class balance needed in D&D? As ninjayeti points out: yes. A D&D player isn't going to have much fun if his or her character doesn't do something interesting or productive, in combat, as often as the other PCs do. A DM is free to take the focus off combat (and away from the concept of class balance), but then you'll have an entire class (pun intended) of PCs scratching their heads, wondering why they're playing fighters, barbarians, monks, etc.

No, they're trying to have fun in a co-operative game (called D&D that revolves, more or less, around combat).

*This point is based on Attacking, to this day, being a required skill for all classes. Sure, they renamed attack bonus to proficiency bonus, and made it a tool proficiency instead of a skill proficiency, but it's still there. Also, all classes steadily gain hit points, which is a measure of how many (much) physical attacks a character can sustain.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads