Worlds of Design: Same Humanoids, Different Forehead

Fantasy role-playing games, like the Star Trek television series, can sometimes suffer from a...

Fantasy role-playing games, like the Star Trek television series, can sometimes suffer from a lack of differentiation between humanoid species with only slight tweaks to their appearance.

archer-3617532_960_720.png

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

From Go to Risk

Fantasy role-playing games can suffer from a plague of the notion that everyone must be the same. Humanoid species—dwarves, elves, halflings, etc.—are often just funny-looking humans. Alignment becomes a convenience, not a governor of behavior.

Consider games that have no differentiation. All pieces in the game Go are the same and can do the same thing. That’s true in Checkers as well until a piece is Crowned. And all the pieces in Risk are armies (excepting the cards). Yet Go and Checkers are completely abstract games; and Risk is about as abstract as you can find in something that is usually called a war game. One defining feature of abstract games is that they have no story (though they do have a narrative whenever they’re played). They are an opposite of role-playing games, which have a story whether it’s written by the GM or the players (or both).

Differences become more and more important as we move down the spectrum from grand strategic to tactical games and as we move to broader models. Role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons are not only very tactical games in combat (“skirmish games”), they’re usually meant to model a life we think could exist, though it does not, just as most novels model something we think could happen, in certain circumstances (the setting). As such RPGs encompass far more than an abstract or grand strategic game ever could.

The same applies to RPG species. The appeal of RPGs is that species are not the same, dragons are not like goblins, who are not like hellhounds or even hobgoblins, one species of aliens is not like another and not like humans, and so on. Having species that are different, even if they are humanoid, is a shorthand means of giving players an easy means of creating a character.

Same Actors, Different Makeup​

When it comes to humanoids, species differentiation doesn’t necessarily mean statistical bonuses. From a game design perspective, designers generally want sufficient differentiation to give players an opportunity to implement their strategies. (I’m not talking about parallel competitions, where players follow several “paths to victory” determined by the designer; players are then implementing the designer’s strategies, not their own: puzzles for practical purposes.) At the same time games should be as simple as possible, whereas puzzle-games may be more complex to make the puzzle harder to solve.

If statistics alone don’t differentiate species, then the onus shifts to the game master to make them culturally more nuanced. This goes beyond characters to include non-player characters. Monsters, for example, are more interesting when they’re not close copies of one another. Keep in mind, an objective for a game designer is to surprise the players. Greater differentiation helps do that, conformity does not.

On the other hand, one way to achieve simplicity is to limit differentiation. Every difference can be an exception to other rules, and exceptions are the antithesis of simplicity.

Differentiation Through Alignment​

Alignment-tendencies are another means of differentiating species. Alignment is a way to reflect religion without specifying real-world gods, but even more it's a way to steer people away from the default of "Chaotic Neutral jerk who can do whatever he/she/it wants.” (See "Chaotic Neutral is the Worst") Removing alignment tendencies removes a useful GM tool, and a way of quickly differentiating one character from another.

Keep in mind, any game is an artificial collection of constraints intended to provide challenges for player(s). Alignment is a useful constraint, and a simple one. On the other hand, as tabletop games move towards more a story-oriented and player focus, species constraints like attribute modifiers and alignment may feel restrictive.

Removing these built-in designs changes the game so that the shorthand of a particularly species is much more nuanced … but that means the game master will need to do more work to ensure elves aren’t just humans with pointy ears.

Your Turn: How do you differentiate fantasy species in your game?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
For me, the issue is that typically we get humans having a multitude of cultures, while other PC races are monocultures, or a handful of cultures differentiated by subraces. Some settings take the step of outlining human cultures as giving set bonuses or clear cultural cues but its not the norm.

I think it's because they didn't want to introduce the idea of subraces with humans, especially in the current climate. But having Calimshite humans mechanically different from Waterdhavians humans in the same way wood elves differ from high elves wouldn't be out of place, especially since we do away with racial characteristics. And it would explain subraces as cultures for all the other races, making explicit that they are the same types of creatures.

I am not sure humans are so "polycultured" in settings. They (supposedly) make up a little less than two-third of the population of Waterdeep. I wouldn't describe the Waterdeep culture as "human" but cosmopolitic. Breland and Aundair differ from each other culturally, but Breland is 44% human, Aundair 51%... it's difficult to say that human cultures are more varied, when human cultures seem to be predominently integrating lots of non-human. Perphaps more than elven or dwarven cities (and even then... The Mror Holds population is 65% dwarves). Unless there is a strong social segregation within the societies, there is a good chance they are influenced by external elements, much like the US is not "England" and Belgium is neither Netherland nor France despite sharing an official language with both (and Germany as well).

Sounds Interesting, but those kind of mechanical changes would sadly never fly for modern audiences, because they restrict character options (now I can't play my dwarf archer, etc). People want everyone to be equally good at everything now.
Yet, I have seen only praise with Tasha's, that introduced racial feats. If you're not elven, your archer won't be as good at firing an arrow with advantage than an elven one that could take the feat on the way to 20 DEX. So, maybe it's the way to go? Have a group of feature specific to a fantasy race, so obviously those traits are seen only in them, but not in all of them -- so your dwarf doesn't have to be a smith, but most dwarves smith will take the Dwarven Forgemaster feat reducing the time and cost to forge magic weapons and armors by half -- so there is a mechanical reasons dwarves are known for it. And yes, it's a blessing from their god, so even if you're adopted from birth, you can't take it. But you can speak Dwarvish, because that's cultural, not racial, and comes from your subrace/cultural background.

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
But those are setting elements. How do you differentiate them in the core rules?
The heritage/culture divide, like what Level Up is doing. You get half your (non-class/background) stats from your heritage and the other half from your culture.

(Edit: Also those Ancestry & Culture books from Arcana Press)

Faolyn

(she/her)
Sounds Interesting, but those kind of mechanical changes would sadly never fly for modern audiences, because they restrict character options (now I can't play my dwarf archer, etc). People want everyone to be equally good at everything now.
People want PCs to be able to be good at anything. PCs are exceptional individuals, since they're among the few willing to travel into the wilds and confront the horrors there.

Have a race of dwarfs whose skeletal system makes them poor archers, but allow for that the dwarf equivalent of double-jointedness that allows for a PC to be a good archer.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
People want PCs to be able to be good at anything. PCs are exceptional individuals, since they're among the few willing to travel into the wilds and confront the horrors there.

Have a race of dwarfs whose skeletal system makes them poor archers, but allow for that the dwarf equivalent of double-jointedness that allows for a PC to be a good archer.
But if you give a race restrictions, especially physical ones, why would an individual member of that race not be subject to them? If you're fine with dwarves in general not using bows, except you, why are you playing a dwarf? Exempting yourself from a hard racial restriction eliminates the purpose of playing that race.

But if you give a race restrictions, especially physical ones, why would an individual member of that race not be subject to them? If you're fine with dwarves in general not using bows, except you, why are you playing a dwarf? Exempting yourself from a hard racial restriction eliminates the purpose of playing that race.
Yep. If I chose to play a human, I chose to play a flightless species. Should I be able to just choose for my human to have wings because PCs are special and aarakocra have wings?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Then why are we having this discussion? If everyone want to be equal, then there is no difference and it just means we can have bumpy foreheads, your dwarf archer is just a bearded short archer. It is the Happy Meal and no need to explore ROLE playing and challenging players in their game.

:( (I am feeling I am too old for this) :(

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Then why are we having this discussion? If everyone want to be equal, then there is no difference and it just means we can have bumpy foreheads, your dwarf archer is just a bearded short archer. It is the Happy Meal and no need to explore ROLE playing and challenging players in their game.

I think we're having this discussion because, despite things clearly moving in that direction, not everyone agrees with the current trend, and those of us who don't want to make our objections heard, even if we're just shouting into the wind.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think there was a very good question asked in the very first post. How do you differentiate humans? What makes humans special?

I've actually seen a few things that take that question seriously, and I ended up devising two methods. One which works for the game, and one that doesn't, but still seems to be true.

1) Humans will sleep with anything. Seriously, look at the list of "half-human" beings, it is insane.

But more seriously, my other idea. Humans are adaptable and volatile on a mystical level. If you have a dwarven family settle down next to a mote of elemental fire to use as a forge, in a generation or two, they will still be dwarves. If you have a human family settle down on the other side of that mote, then their kids are going to be born as Fire Genasi, Pheonix Sorcerers, and otherwise infused with the strength of elemental fire.

Humans who live on hallowed ground over the generations become Aasimar. They don't need a celestial parent, they just absorb and express ambient celestial energy. Shifters are humans exposed to primal powers. Maybe the family who tends the graveyard are born with the ability to see ghosts and speak with the dead.

This is sort of the case already, I'm just thinking of making it explicit. Humans are the most common sorcerers, they just spontaneously show up with magical abilities and end up adapting to their environment to a powerful degree that the more "static" races simply can't match.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Because someone has a good idea for a dwarf character, and that good idea also has them using a bow. That's a perfectly decent reason for a dwarf to use a bow.

In the real world, there are plenty of humans who do things that humans "shouldn't be able to do." I just watched a brief video of a guy parkouring up a wall. Humans, in general, do not run up walls. And yet some people do. A bow-using dwarf is like that. The average dwarf, in this setting, physically can't use a bow, but a few have managed to train themselves into doing so.

Faolyn

(she/her)

Role-playing is playing a role you decide for your character, not just playing a racial stereotype that somebody else came up with.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads