Worlds of Design: What the Future Holds for RPGS - Part 2

Even self-proclaimed “Futurists” and science fiction authors have weak track records in forecasting the future, and I’m neither! In this concluding part, I discuss trends in actual play, and in the economics of RPG publishing.

What is the average length of your RPG sessions?

Even self-proclaimed “Futurists” and science fiction authors have weak track records in forecasting the future, and I’m neither! In this concluding part, I discuss trends in actual play, and in the economics of RPG publishing.

helmet-5724641_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

“We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done.” - Alan Turing

Actual Play?​

What about trends in actual play? Surely, aspects of computer role-playing games (CRPGs) will continue to influence tabletop play as their popularity and reach are massive. Many of these arise from the zeitgeist, ranging from fast level rise, to ever-present “loot drops.” In my experience of two large university game clubs and the sixth largest community college in the country, those who come to such tabletop game clubs spend more time altogether playing video games than tabletop games. (Yes, I formally polled the university groups.)

Something I can’t judge is the length of RPG sessions. I’d have said average length was 4-6 hours, but I see so many playing just 2-4 hours that I wonder if the games are affected by a perceived need to do so many other leisure activities, that is, “lack of time”. I also wonder what the proportion of one-session-and-done adventures is, compared to the proportion that continue to the next session. I’d expect more of the former if I didn’t also think the sessions are getting shorter.

Are tabletop games getting shorter? As CRPGs and other media compete for their time, there's less time for everything else. In this hectic world, we could make a case that modern “short-termism” has affected tabletop RPGs; if so, that effect will only become more pronounced. Is there a movement in RPG fandom to make the games simpler and less time-consuming? And how much are CRPGs less time-consuming, in the sense that you can play for 15 minutes, an hour, whatever time you have, then leave it til later to continue? CRPGs are in one sense simpler, too, because you don’t have to keep records, keep track of things.

The Economics​

Unfortunately, RPGs tend to be "prisoners of capitalism,” so we more or less inevitably get more and more rules until a game becomes so complex that it starts to collapse under its own weight, and we move on to a new edition. The publisher of D&D is fighting this trend, but how long will that continue?

Between capitalism, crowdsourcing, and saturation of the market, we're not going to see a return to those halcyon days when a typical print supplement by a third party not specializing in RPGs might sell 11,000 copies. The biggest companies can prosper in the current climate but it's extremely hard for little companies to make a living. Yes, a small company can sell 500 or even 1,000 copies of something, but that's not enough to make a living. People can do these kinds of things as a hobby but having to earn a living another way (games just a hobby) takes an enormous amount of time and energy.

The rare full-time RPG professionals have a hard time making ends meet, and that’s surely going to continue. See Owen K. C. Stephens’ tweets as compiled by Morrus. Freelancing by “creatives” in all disciplines has been hard hit in this century, in part because there are so many people willing to produce creative material for free (and post it on the Internet), in part because of competition from PDFs sold directly to gamers.

RPG material has become such a commodity that it is now "work for hire", that is, the freelance author receives a lump sum (rather than royalties) whether the product sells poorly or well. This is anathema to many creative people (including me, it’s why I stopped writing for Dragon and White Dwarf magazines long ago). Nor do full-time employees of a publisher receive royalties.

What will the future hold? We can hope that even as the economics have changed, creatives will find a way through other avenues (Kickstarter, Patreon, DriveThruRPG, etc.) to keep the hobby alive. Certainly, with the pandemic and more people staying at home, RPGs have a golden opportunity. But can they take advantage of it? We'll find out in 2021.

Your Turn: What do you think is going to happen to tabletop RPGs in the future?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
Covid has led to me playing more, but shorter, sessions. Playing online needs more concentration to keep track of what's going on, and that's tiring. CRPGs have never interested me, nor most of the people I play with.

Two things:
1) Both for myself and people I play with, the session length preferences vary between online and offline play. At the table, I prefer longer sessions (4-5 hours) - to a certain extent because of the necessary driving, but mostly because I do not get exhausted so quickly. For online sessions, I am quite happy if we close after 2 - 2.5 hours. So a shift to shorter play time might also be the result of an increased number of online games (even pre-COVID).*
2) Selling rule extensions is one way to keep cash flowing, but IMO not the only one. One alternative is selling a lot of setting material (this has apprently gone out of fashion for D&D, but is still very much alive for e.g. The Dark Eye). The other one you mentioned: selling adventure path content like WotC currently does - even though I'm not the biggest fan, the model seems to work out quite well for them.

*I also think RPG streams/videos are much easier to consume if they are shorter, but it seems there are enough people who are happy to sink 4 to 5 hours per week into watching shows like CR, so I will admit that this might just be me being old :)

Unfortunately, RPGs tend to be "prisoners of capitalism,” so we more or less inevitably get more and more rules until a game becomes so complex that it starts to collapse under its own weight, and we move on to a new edition.
I'd like to contest the idea that somehow we all just move over to a new edition.

When 2nd edition came out, a LOT of D&D players stuck with 1st edition. I knew people playing 1e well into the 2000's

When 4th edition came out, many or most D&D players stuck with 3rd edition or 3e derived games like Pathfinder. There are plenty of people still playing 3.x games to this day.

When 6th edition comes out, I have no doubt that people will keep playing it. I'm sure getting players used to using official online web portals for character sheets and such is part of a long-term strategy to push players to 6e by discontinuing online support for it, but I think the people that would affect would also be the ones most likely to switch over just because it's what's new and "supported".

However, it's hard to tell and see these folks who stick with older editions or older games. They get pushed aside by companies because they aren't spending money anymore, and they often feel unwelcome online in fan communities that are always obsessing over the newest, most marketed thing.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
During pandemic, have played many more sessions, with avg time being ~3 hours per session. Could be because it's a lot easier to jump online to play; combined with the lower exhaustion threshold when playing via zoom or google meet.

Post pandemic, expecting my game times to go back up to 4+ hours on avg; as we'll want to maximize time together once we make the effort to get together - but that same thing will also perforce reduce qty of sessions.

pemerton

Legend
@Aldarc had a good thread recently on "next-gen" RPG: here's the link.

I don't know if there was full consensus, but I think there was at least a widely-shared view that PbtA and FitD-influenced games will continue to be one site of cutting edge design.

I'm hoping to run a play test session of Orbital soon - a GMless sci-fi game in a PbtA style designed for single-session play.

EPW

Villager

Actual Play?​

What about trends in actual play? Surely, aspects of computer role-playing games (CRPGs) will continue to influence tabletop play as their popularity and reach are massive. Many of these arise from the zeitgeist, ranging from fast level rise, to ever-present “loot drops.” In my experience of two large university game clubs and the sixth largest community college in the country, those who come to such tabletop game clubs spend more time altogether playing video games than tabletop games. (Yes, I formally polled the university groups.)

Something I can’t judge is the length of RPG sessions. I’d have said average length was 4-6 hours, but I see so many playing just 2-4 hours that I wonder if the games are affected by a perceived need to do so many other leisure activities, that is, “lack of time”. I also wonder what the proportion of one-session-and-done adventures is, compared to the proportion that continue to the next session. I’d expect more of the former if I didn’t also think the sessions are getting shorter.

Are tabletop games getting shorter? As CRPGs and other media compete for their time, there's less time for everything else. In this hectic world, we could make a case that modern “short-termism” has affected tabletop RPGs; if so, that effect will only become more pronounced. Is there a movement in RPG fandom to make the games simpler and less time-consuming? And how much are CRPGs less time-consuming, in the sense that you can play for 15 minutes, an hour, whatever time you have, then leave it til later to continue? CRPGs are in one sense simpler, too, because you don’t have to keep records, keep track of things.

The Economics​

Unfortunately, RPGs tend to be "prisoners of capitalism,” so we more or less inevitably get more and more rules until a game becomes so complex that it starts to collapse under its own weight, and we move on to a new edition. The publisher of D&D is fighting this trend, but how long will that continue?

Between capitalism, crowdsourcing, and saturation of the market, we're not going to see a return to those halcyon days when a typical print supplement by a third party not specializing in RPGs might sell 11,000 copies. The biggest companies can prosper in the current climate but it's extremely hard for little companies to make a living. Yes, a small company can sell 500 or even 1,000 copies of something, but that's not enough to make a living. People can do these kinds of things as a hobby but having to earn a living another way (games just a hobby) takes an enormous amount of time and energy.

The rare full-time RPG professionals have a hard time making ends meet, and that’s surely going to continue. See Owen K. C. Stephens’ tweets as compiled by Morrus. Freelancing by “creatives” in all disciplines has been hard hit in this century, in part because there are so many people willing to produce creative material for free (and post it on the Internet), in part because of competition from PDFs sold directly to gamers.

RPG material has become such a commodity that it is now "work for hire", that is, the freelance author receives a lump sum (rather than royalties) whether the product sells poorly or well. This is anathema to many creative people (including me, it’s why I stopped writing for Dragon and White Dwarf magazines long ago). Nor do full-time employees of a publisher receive royalties.

What will the future hold? We can hope that even as the economics have changed, creatives will find a way through other avenues (Kickstarter, Patreon, DriveThruRPG, etc.) to keep the hobby alive. Certainly, with the pandemic and more people staying at home, RPGs have a golden opportunity. But can they take advantage of it? We'll find out in 2021.

Your Turn: What do you think is going to happen to tabletop RPGs in the future?
As for length of play sessions, for my group it's really about all of us having day jobs and families. So we have a weekly online game which during the workweek limited to about 3 hours and very rare (4~6 times a year) in-person games on a weekend which can run to 10 hours. Back in high school/college we would game more like 8 hours every weekend, plus a 3-hour session during the week.

Retreater

Legend
I think the pandemic has shown me that it's better to have regularly scheduled games in shorter sessions. At this point, I'm gaming so much online that I don't expect to return to in person games. This can be good because I can curate my game with players I want to play with instead of whoever is local.
I expect this is a similar experience for others. So I think the future of the hobby is VTT.

Aldarc

Legend
@Aldarc had a good thread recently on "next-gen" RPG: here's the link.

I don't know if there was full consensus, but I think there was at least a widely-shared view that PbtA and FitD-influenced games will continue to be one site of cutting edge design.

I'm hoping to run a play test session of Orbital soon - a GMless sci-fi game in a PbtA style designed for single-session play.
Thanks for the plug. My thread, however, does deal more with the game design future and speculating based off recent trendsetters.

I do think, however, that the first bit of this article regarding shorter play sessions or campaign lengths is something that a number of recent games have considered, as quite a fair amount seem built for one-shots or ≤10 sessions of total play. The Cypher System has 6 character tiers. Shadow of the Demon Lord is designed for 10 adventures/sessions corresponding to 10 character levels. In a number of other level-based games, 10 levels seems to be the new norm rather than D&D's 20. A number of other games in that Next Gen thread don't exactly seem oriented towards long campaigns either. So I think that the market is cognizant of this trend.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads