Worlds of Design: "Your Character Wouldn't Do That"

The Mighty Jingles (on YouTube) described what he really disliked about Far Cry 5 New Dawn (video game). The game took away player control at vital junctures. I wonder how often this happens in RPGs, and offer some reasons why it does. With a poll!

How often do you, as GM, tell a player or all the players what his/her character does?

The Mighty Jingles (on YouTube) described what he really disliked about Far Cry 5 New Dawn (video game). The game took away player control at vital junctures. I wonder how often this happens in RPGs, and offer some reasons why it does. With a poll!

handcuffs-2081861_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.​

I watch a few YouTube channels regularly, some about games, some about cooking. So I watched The Mighty Jingles’ review of Far Cry 5 New Dawn (video game). Jingles was dismayed that the game took away player control at vital junctures. In one particular case (there were several), the protagonist found the ultimate bad guys - and walks in without his weapons. He stands there passively and gets handcuffed and hung from the ceiling. And does absolutely nothing. (No, not magic or some kind of psychic slavery.) Later, once the villains are defeated and are making a tiresome speech, he can’t even fire a gun to shut them up.

This is closely related to player agency (which I discussed previously). How much opportunity do the players have to significantly affect the outcome of the game?

The specific question for RPGs: how often does the GM tell a player what his character does, that the player might not want to do? I’m not talking about involuntary reactions to events such as “your character falls unconscious” or “your character exclaims in surprise.” I’m talking about the kind of thing that happened to Jingles.

I recall watching an RPG session where the GM told the players that their characters were running after someone (whether they wanted to or not). I later asked him about it, and he said he didn’t normally tell characters what to do, but there was a time problem to getting the session done, so he hurried the players along in the easiest way available. I wouldn’t like it, but I see the point.

Typically, though, I think this “involuntary action” is part of telling a story. The author of any story must control what happens in order to express what they have in mind, to reach the intended conclusion. If they don’t control the action, how can they be sure they get where they want the story to go? So in some campaigns, say where the GM is telling the players a story, there might not be much player control (Player Agency) to begin with.

This depends on who is playing. Traditional hobby games players usually want to feel they control their own fate, that success or failure is up to them. On the other hand, RPGers who prefer an overarching narrative may not mind being constrained by the story. Other gamers fall somewhere in between.

I personally hate being “Led around by the nose,” that is, I want to be in control as much as possible. If I want to “consume” a good story, I’ll read a book by a professional storyteller, not rely on today’s GM. But I know of many people who disagree with that. If you want the players to write their story from your situation (as I do), you are unlikely to tell them what their characters do.

So I’d estimate that, generally speaking, the more the session is about storytelling, and the less about opposed game playing, then the more likely it is for the GM to say “your character does <such-and-such>”, the more the GM has characters do things the players might not/would not have their character do, in order to continue to control the story.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). I have the feeling that some people will read this and say, “of course I do, frequently”, while others will say, “I (almost) never do that.” The trick is to make sure that the GM and the players all like whatever style the GM uses.

This brings up another topic, how often the GM provides hints to the players about what they “should” do, but lets them make the choice. That’s for another column.

Let’s have another poll to see what readers do.

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Abstruse

Legend
More often than not, it's not telling a player what their character would do but what their character would NOT do. Here's an example with minor spoilers from the Lost Mines of Phandelver when I ran it a couple years ago.

The Mayor of Phandalin in the adventure is kinda sorta working with the evil company of mercenaries that's taken over the town. The players figured this out with a high Insight check and I explained the situation - He's responsible for the safety of the citizens of the town and, if he were to openly oppose them, he would jeopardize that safety. He would love for them to be removed one way or another, but he himself can't risk doing it himself or giving any support to anyone who tries for fear of the backlash on innocent citizens.

That's when the Paladin tried to murder him and the rest of the party joined in.

So yes, I told them "that is not what your character would do" because the character understood what was going on even if the player was confused over what I was telling them (assuming that "working with" meant he was part of their organization) and was so gung-ho about slaughtering this poor guy trapped between a rock and a hard place that the entire group kept shouting over me as I tried to correct the misunderstanding.

Once I calmed them down and got them to understand that he's not a bad person, he's just trying to do his best to protect the people he's responsible for when all he has are bad options, I asked them if they still wanted to murder the mayor in broad daylight and they realized that probably wasn't the best idea.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I normally run games in the Realms where I know the world better than my players do.

I may occasionally point out that something about the character's origin means that they will probably think something about a situation but I then point out that it's up to them how their character responds. I never remove agency but I might provide some character-specific lore that might help them make a choice.

aramis erak

Legend
I often run settings with rather alien cultures. While I don't actually use the wording Mr. Pulsipher uses, I'll often make certain players understand why their action is setting–inappropriate and that their character would know that. If they insist, I let them.

The scene in that Far Cry review sounds like a bit that annoyed me in the Fallout 3 DLC "The Pitt", where the main character, who by this time is basically an invincible god of battle, somehow gets knocked out in a cutscene by an unnamed mook with a truncheon who doesn't even take him by surprise

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
My hatred of cut scenes extends vastly beyond just that they railroad the player though. I despise any cut scene that portrays something in a way that the fiction is vastly different than the game play.

I use them to show things off screen for the most part, for instance to show what's happening with a villain that the PCs don't see but where I want the players to know about something. This means that they can't specifically affect it and thus it does not undermine the PCs. One needs to be OK with fourth wall breaking, though.

I very much agree about cut scenes that are way out of balance with what should be possible in game play, though. The scene you mention in ME2 with Jack is, as you say, a good example of the portrayed abilities being out of line with the actual in-game abilities.

Last edited:

Jay Verkuilen

I'm probably one of the rare people to answer "More than once per session." but only because its a big grey area.

Agreed. I marked myself as rare, but I had a hard time deciding how I should rate myself. I tend to be a bit more directive to keep the pace going, although it may sacrifice some player autonomy in the process.

Player autonomy is good but there are times when allowing too much of it can be a fast road to boredom. Some players, for instance, seem to be unable to resist going off on their lone agenda that does not involve the rest of the party, whatever that is, and need to be pulled back. Others seem to have an uncanny ability to misunderstand what's going on. Finally, not to put too fine a point on it, but most meta-gaming needs to be curb-stomped.

I frequently control the characters to speed the game along and keep a pace. If an adventure says that halfway up the road to the haunted castle the players can find an abandoned shack and get a rope and 2 healing potions if they check it out without there being a monster, trap, or other entanglement I just narrate that to them and give them the items. I don't pause and go to realtime while the players super paranoidly explore the shack and take up 45 minutes of real time for the equivalent of an RPG jump-scare.

Agreed, exploring everything can get really, really tedious. I think some players tend to assume that everything the DM presents must somehow be relevant and others use it as an opportunity(?) to exercise/indulge in rampant paranoia.

Similarly I try to speed up when the party splits and goes their separate ways to interview 3 NPCs and go shopping and visit the pub. I'd rather say "After a half hour of talking to the priest of Torm you are sure he doesn't know anything useful about the vampires." than play out a 20 minute real time conversation that gives the players nothing.

That's another good example of a way to cut to something more consequential. Some players are much better at avoiding the kind of time sinks than others, so they don't need it, but there are players who just seem to fall into every time sink imaginable, be it checking for every possible trap or talking to every possible NPC.

Lastly, I like the concept of starting some stories In Media Res where the players start in a pickle. A lot of the old D6 Star Wars adventures were written this way as an homage to how Star Wars begins. It can be great at starting off with a good pace and I do use it sometimes for other games. Whenever I do so I always reassure the players that "if you start captured and without weapons you will eventually get your stuff back" even though i'm pretty sure they trust me enough that they aren't going to wonder about it.

Yes, this is a good use of the kind of narrative technique and can open up things in a useful way. I've used "In Media Res" quite a bit as it can be very effective to bring the group of characters together right away. It's pretty much the only way to run a capture story, for instance, because in my experience PCs pretty much never, ever surrender, so I'd want to start things off with that out of the way.

IME ive only ever done this when someone was metagaming. Which happens so rarely i cant even put a reliable 1/x (where x is number of game sessions) on it. I tell all players who've never played under or with me or dm'd for me before at the beginning of when any of those 3 happen for the first time that if i ever find out they metagame on purpose they will never sit at a table with me again. Its one of the few things i give no second chances on. The moment i identify a metagamer that i believe knows what they are doing (and due to the previously described context assuredly knows its not tolerated) i eject them from the group with no chance of return. It has worked excellently for me as i have had few such players ever pop into existance and getting rid of them quickly has prevented the rot from ever taking root in any of our tables. Scorched earth policy on that one has resulted in a very happy unblemished circle of rp'ing friends. I just dont give it a chance and voila! Prevention is the best protection. The rare instances i have done the thing the OP describes of course only apply to the accidental metagaming that is somewhat inevitavly going to happen occasionally. Everybody makes mistakes. Its only when its intentional or repetitiously negligent at least that it becomes a completely hateable and preventable blight.

Jay Verkuilen

The scene in that Far Cry review sounds like a bit that annoyed me in the Fallout 3 DLC "The Pitt", where the main character, who by this time is basically an invincible god of battle, somehow gets knocked out in a cutscene by an unnamed mook with a truncheon who doesn't even take him by surprise

The end of Fallout 3 was like that too. My PC had gotten to 100% Rad Resistance between items and perks. He could literally not care about rads! Yet, evidently, not so.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'll say "do you really think X is a good idea?" or "may be you could..." or for the wayward player "yeah, you go do that - now what are the rest of us doing?" but never outright usurp control of the PC

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads