• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worm that Walks - Why not undead?

Valen

Explorer
The Monster section in the Epic Level Handbook is just awesome. While there are lots of gems in there, one of my absolute favorites has to be the Worm That Walks. I was considering using the worm as a villain in my non-epic game, a "spontaneously" formed worm that walks created from the remains of a mage that the party had killed in the past, now driven by an unsatiable desire for revenge, yaddah, yaddah.

When reviewing the template, however, it got me thinking... why is the worm that walks monster typed as an ooze instead of undead? It would seem that the undead type would be more fitting as the worm is formed from the spirit of a dead mage (perhaps even raised by a spell). If it were an undead, the wtw (worm that walks) wouldn't have to break the "no int" rule for oozes; it would have more hp (which fits its more difficult to harm because its amorphous traits), retain most of the immunities it enjoys as an ooze (save immunity from polymorphing).

It also seems that thematically, the wtw is more of an undead, as it is at best a restless spirit, has a frightful presence, and no real body (it can discorporate at will).

Am I missing something in my thinking? Is there a reason why the ooze type is more suiting than the undead?

Along those lines, any ideas for converting the wtw from an ooze to an undead? I have a paladin and a cleric in my campaign and they are always itching for new and unusual undead to fight.

I am thinking for my campaign, keeping the wtw template the same, including all of its special attacks and qualities (engulf, frightful presence, spell casting, blindsight, etc), but change the following:
1. Change type from ooze to undead and adjust hp and HD accordingly.
2. Remove ooze traits and replace with undead traits.
3. Give the wtw turn resistance, say +4

Any thoughts? Is the turn resistance too high/low? Do you think the CR would change?

I just thought I'd kick this out to you guys for ideas. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Because the worm that walks, while formed from the spirit of a dead mage, is NOT the spirit of an arcane caster....look at page 228 in the ELH.

It is the "evil memory of an arcane spellcaster whose will and personality have survived the dissolution of his body and transferred themselves to the worms or maggots that devoured the corpse."

The creature (or creatures since it is a conglomeration of maggots) is a living (as living as an ooze can be) creature that just holds the spirit (much like any other living creature with a spirit.

Undead Pete

First Post
Grazzt said:
Because the worm that walks, while formed from the spirit of a dead mage, is NOT the spirit of an arcane caster....look at page 228 in the ELH.

It is the "evil memory of an arcane spellcaster whose will and personality have survived the dissolution of his body and transferred themselves to the worms or maggots that devoured the corpse."

The creature (or creatures since it is a conglomeration of maggots) is a living (as living as an ooze can be) creature that just holds the spirit (much like any other living creature with a spirit.

Took the worms right from my mouth ;)

Valen

Explorer
Thanks for your responses, I really dig the insights.

There is certainly no d-earth of help here.

I can always find the dirt I need on these boards.

Everyone here is bury helpful.

And I'm not done mud-dling around yet.

:D

Now, before I finally lay this thread to rest, I think I'll add just one bore pun (Consider the above puns as the meat and this pun as the grave-y).

Of course if you want me to continue to pun-ish everyone...
:p

dreamthief

First Post

Hmm.. very Swamp Thing. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads