D&D 5E Worst Classes Level 1.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
AC's can be equal so for sake of comparison that's the simplest. That means 2 skills vs 3 skills and 1 at disadvantage. That comes out even. The rest of the rangers benefits are ribbons and aren't big enough to make a difference.

I was assuming that the ranger trades in their scale mail for a chain shirt as they are the same price. This lowers AC by 1 but lets you use Stealth without disadv.

This gives rangers +1 skill, +1 language, and 2 ribbon abilities over everyone but rogues, bards. and ritualists.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I was assuming that the ranger trades in their scale mail for a chain shirt as they are the same price. This lowers AC by 1 but lets you use Stealth without disadv.

This gives rangers +1 skill, +1 language, and 2 ribbon abilities over everyone but rogues, bards. and ritualists.

Why try to make the comparison more muddy than it needs to be? The more things that align on them the easier they are to compare. If using the 16 AC armor essentially makes the AC and skills even then why choose the other option for the comparison?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
That's your prerogative of course, but I disagree. With backgrounds, any class be decent at pillars where the class lacks. The focus is on classes.

If you want a Cleric who is better at exploration, play a Druid. ;)

Totally agree on the Druid part. Druids are much better at exploration than clerics. Much better than Barbarians too.

I think your definition of class is much different than mine. When I talk about class in a discussion like this it is about what kinds of characters can be created of class X. Most people here seem to be on that same page. I'm really not sure what purpose talking about something different and more abstract than that serves?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Why try to make the comparison more muddy than it needs to be? The more things that align on them the easier they are to compare. If using the 16 AC armor essentially makes the AC and skills even then why choose the other option for the comparison?

Because scale mail is suboptimal except in pure combat campaigns.

And if you're playing a pure combat campaign, the ranger is obviously going to be bad as half the class is tied up in noncombat aspects. The monk, like the fighter and barbarian, will top rangers in pure combat campaigns. It's 2nd or 3rd last in raw combat.

But in wholeness of 3 pillar campaigns, rangers are a solid middle of the pack at level one.

Monks at this level are roundly inferior to Fighters. Less damage, less AC, less HP. Indeed they're inferior to most classes.
Ruin, too be fair, you have never liked Monks in almost any edition. Not 1e, 3e, not 5e...not sure how you felt about 4e monks. The position you have advocated previously was:
“Player’s that play Monks do not mind being mechanically inferior”.
The whole "u can do stealth" thing is like a ridiculous claim people who've never actually played D&D but read the rulebooks would make, because it's obviously not a particularly good idea in practice due to the extremely high failure chance (unless your DM is doing some softball stuff).
This is such an outstandingly bad argument, it is almost impressive. 😇

Take any published 1st level adventure.....Are there opportunities to use Stealth in Cragmaw Cave in the Phandolin starter adventures...Yes.
How about the Sunken Citadel....yes as well
How about Palace of the Silver Princess or Keep on the Borderlands .....shockingly, also a yes.

Ruin, I enjoy your posts.., I enjoy the verbal flourishes you perform.

*Typically*when you get snarky/rude adjacent, Ruin, you seem, either To be trying to rhetorically distract from a position with evidentiary weakness or you are irked.

You started your post in snark mode.....
.....................So do you just hate monks, or do you recognize that Monks are not far behind a Rogue at 1st level in terms of DPS? 😁.

(Intent of post is good natured jocularity, just to be clear, in case I failed to convey that)

LOL, folks the difference between any class at 1st level is around 1-2 points....Being Lucky at 1st level is the most important thing for any character at 1st level. 😀

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
Anyone can have those skills thanks to backgrounds, and the barbarian has no real incentive to pump wisdom unless they are a niche eagle barb. That's why I rate barbarian so low.

The Barbarian should have had the same Favored Terrain ribbon ability as the Ranger, come to think of it... Maybe the Rangercould have the US features instead and the Barbarian keep the terrain. Just to make them a touch better at exploration since, as you say, they have no incentive to pump wisdom.

If you want a Cleric who is better at exploration, play a Druid.

Or a Nature Cleric who, at level 1, gets a Druid cantrip, access to some of their spell, and one of their skill. I'd probably pick Produce Flame, but if you don't mind the lack of attacking option, Druidcraft lets you predict the weather.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The Barbarian should have had the same Favored Terrain ribbon ability as the Ranger, come to think of it... Maybe the Rangercould have the US features instead and the Barbarian keep the terrain. Just to make them a touch better at exploration since, as you say, they have no incentive to pump wisdom.

Or a Nature Cleric who, at level 1, gets a Druid cantrip, access to some of their spell, and one of their skill. I'd probably pick Produce Flame, but if you don't mind the lack of attacking option, Druidcraft lets you predict the weather.
LOL it is funny you mention Nature Cleric as that was my alternative to the Way of Tranquility Monk I am making today. I actually took Shillelagh for that build along with PAM for the feat. Very nice combo really.

Remove ads