• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

Desrimal

Explorer
Wait, who elected you to determin what people are trully hurt for? And more, does it really need to get to the point where people are trully hurt by something for a company to want to change the direction their are going to take their product? Can't people just be annoyed, offended, lose interest in buying the product because of this for the change to be warranted?
Obviously I'm expressing my personal opinion. You don't need to be elected for that where I come from.
Also, this is part of a longer discussion with another user.

I'm sad, that the d&d mythology is changing, because of something, that is unrelated to the game.

I think a lot of people believe, that this is the right thing to do right now, but I'm afraid it will eventually move d&d too far away from it's roots, and alienate the fans.

It's a spur of the moment..

They brought demons and devils back for 3rd edition. In the future I hope they'll bring back EVIL orcs and drows.

Time will tell, I guess :)

I've been discussing this subject for quite a while now. Thank you all for a pleasant discussion. I will read your replies, but no more writing for me :)

reelo

Hero
Right. As has been explained repeatedly, in this thread and others, that is not the problem. That's the simplistic but completely wrong caricature of the problem used by people who either don't understand it, or who intentionally want to mischaracterize it in order to undermine attempts to solve it.
Then count me among those that don't understand it, because as I said, I'm perfectly fine with, and even positively welcome, all the rest. But then again, it might be linked to the fact that I'm not very fond of monstrous races as player options either.

Staffan

Legend
At one point during the DnD Beyond playtest, they toyed with the idea of class giving a boost to your "prime requisite" score in addition to race, so an elf might give you +1 dex, but cleric gives your +1 wis. It might be an idea worth revisiting.
I like the way 13th Age does it. With some exceptions, both races and classes give you a +2 bonus to one of two stats, but you can't put your class bonus in the same stat as your race bonus. That gives you some inclinations from race, but doesn't really penalize any race in any class. Dwarf fighters might be more likely to be the tough melee types rather than quick archers, with the reverse applying for elves, but it's a lot more open that way.
Find all, replace all, done. It's pretty easy.

Yeah, a quick search-and-replace never did any dawizard.

Can't you keep absolute alignment, while getting rid of racial homogeneity? If you like Good vs Evil then you can keep it except it's not orcs that are Evil it's this particular orc.

I'd prefer Evil Orcs based on some form of spiritual essentialism (e.g. corrupted or created by Evil God) stripped of any depictions based on stereotypes of real-world peoples, that is, I'd prefer to kill monsters and take their stuff. Same with demons, devils, mind flayers, beholders, etc. Wizards seems to want to go this way with gnolls, but not with other humanoids. I'm sure they'll put a lot more thought into why that is than I'm going to, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Then count me among those that don't understand it, because as I said, I'm perfectly fine with, and even positively welcome, all the rest. But then again, it might be linked to the fact that I'm not very fond of monstrous races as player options either.

What questions do you still have? What parts are you having trouble understanding? I'd be more than happy to keep discussing it with you.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Ah. I think I grasp some of the issue.
Your point highlights how tropes of otherness are not new, that all sorts of historical cultures have used some of these signifiers when describing other cultures, that such traits were used a pejoratives, and that they are not unique to a given cultures bigotry. All true.

What I think some are glossing over is this: These stereotypes are alive with us now. "Orcs are not stand ins for black people." A fair argument. However, Orcs are given traits that bigots use today. We aren't speaking merely to historic racism. We are talking about right now.

Lets say you had a fictional race that is highlighted for being greedy. Are they meant to be a stand in for Jews? You could claim no. That is fine. What if they are also cowardly, sneaky, practice an odd religion in defiance of their neighbors prevalent faith? Are they now Jews? Still one might say no. This is also fine.

However, when a Jewish person sees a Ferengi on an episode of Star Trek and sees all these traits used to define them, and notice how many of them check boxes for how bigots depicts them in the real world, in their own lives, is it unreasonable for them to ask, "Are these aliens meant to be us?"

So in a similar fashion, is a PoC sees how a given fantasy race is narrowly depicted in D&D, sees the negative traits used to show how the race is wicked, how they are meant to be killed by the PCs, and sees that many of these traits are ones which bigots uses to describe them in the real world, in their own lives, is it unreasonable for them to ask, "Are these monsters meant to be us?"

This is a discussion. Not a fiat from on high demanding the very notion of evil not exist to avoid hurting people. Instead, what we need to examine is how our hobby shows us that a people are evil.
I like your post, Prof! Its good discussion.

Expanding on what you say....lets settle on naming the orc trope we are discussing"less civilized barbarians" or LCBs, just to save typing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that every civilization in the world throughout history has some sort of LCB on their border. I know for a fact there was a very big wall built in China (who's name escapes me) to keep out the LCBs. Romans had lots of different looking LCBs to choose from. Persians had different LCBs. Western colonial powers has an entire globe of LCBs. LCBs exist in the real world, and in almost every sort of media exploring a story that involves a civlization and its surroundings. Take the popular human-only Sci-Fi series The Expanse, for example. The belters are the LCBs.

Being an LCB can be defined as strictly racial, or it can be geographical, or cultural, or linguistic, or really anything that divides one group from another. Its most like a combination of all of these traits.

Now with all that laid out...look at the portion of the text of yours I highlighted. When I first read "highlighted for being greedy", do you know what was the first group that entered my mind? Corporations. When you later added "cowardly, sneaky, practice an odd religion in defiance of their neighbors" do you know what I thought? CORPORATIONS! Then you mentioned Ferengi and I thought THATS WHAT I SAID, CORPORATIONS!!!!

So while a person that is Jewish might look at that fictional example and say "Are they talking about me?", I might look at that example and say "Are they talking about corporations?". The example didn't change. The physical language didn't change. The interpretation of the language changed, because in my mind the #1 associated word with greed is corporations and the rest fell in line.

Taking the discussion back to orcs, they are one of the five most common "bad guy humanoids" that have existed in D&D since its inception. (Goblins, Hobgoblins, Orcs, Kobolds, Gnolls). If someone looked at an Orc and wondered "Is this me?", what keeps them from doing the same for the other four? Is it strictly that orcs morphed into being dark skinned? That seems to be answer from a WotC perspective, because they mention Orcs and Drow but not any of the other 4 humanoids listed here.

Lets say for sake of argument its IS just the color issue, so they go with a more Warcraft version of Orcs being just another PC style race but leave the other 4 as-is. What keeps that person who asked "Is this me?" from asking themselves, now, if the goblin is supposed to be them?

I don't really have final grand point, I just really liked your reply and want to keep a discussion rolling.

My personal feeling on the matter is that always-evil humanoids are boring and unsubtle. I think the change is good for the game, and its a super bonus that it makes the game more inclusive. I think, though, just mentioning orcs and drow makes is a "race" issue (yes I know the Vistani are in there too) and that hopefully a wider net of revision will be thrown over the entire pile of DnD beings instead of just a couple that might be touchy because they happen to be dark skinned. Otherwise I think we will be having the same argument again in 5 years when something else hits that border of no longer acceptable and it needs to be revised again.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I'm sad, that the d&d mythology is changing, because of something, that is unrelated to the game.

I think a lot of people believe, that this is the right thing to do right now, but I'm afraid it will eventually move d&d too far away from it's roots, and alienate the fans.

It's a spur of the moment..

They brought demons and devils back for 3rd edition. In the future I hope they'll bring back EVIL orcs and drows.

What part of WotC's response makes you think they are taking away evil drow and orcs?

Both evil and good drow and orcs (or at least half-orcs) have been a staple of D&D for a long time. What part of D&D's fan base do you think will feel alienated by WotC's decision to not use harmful racial stereotypes?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I fully agree with you that real life racism needs firm intent and action! One way we can help is by examining the media we consume and participate in, and seeing how the stereotypes used in that media help or harm.

I also understand that you do not see any problems with the stereotypes in the races and classes D&D uses.

Luckily, Wizards of the Coast does!

As the company in charge of the most popular rpg in the world, don't you think WotC can make real change by using D&D to combat racial stereotypes instead of perpetuate them? I mean, Wizards obviously thinks they can.

It is not the stereotypes in themselves doing harm. It is the sad fact that a lot of people do not see them as they are and will transfer what's in the game back to the real world,and the fact that most GMs do not point out these things and just run with whatever misinterpretation there is.

I have no trouble playing a wild west rpg full of stereotypes and inaccuracies as long as it is clear to everyone that this is the case. I'd be reluctant to run such a game for kids, or people with a lack of knowledge about such things.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Express my opinion? Get an understanding of why people have an issue other than "it's bad because racism is bad"? Discuss gaming?

Why does anyone post to these threads and why do I have to justify having an opinion?

I still think there's a part of you that wants to dive deeper! That's what keeps pulling you back in! Examination of tropes and stereotypes and biases can be fun! It's neat to get at the roots of where images and themes of D&D come from (like the recent awesome bullette articles).

You say you wanted to understand why people have an issue. Do you feel like you have gained this understanding?

Part of the reason I pulled out my long defunct account was because I wanted to understand the thoughts of people whose opinions were different than mine. I feel like I have gained an understanding of where you are coming from. Do you feel the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads