D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

I for one am really looking forward to my upcoming Lawful Stupid Barlgura PC who doesn't let the predjudice against his race or the lack of opposable thumbs get in the way of his dream to become a romance novelist.

It's so mean to depict an entire race of sentient non humanoids as evil. There surely is room for more nuance to their motives given just how many of them exist. His best bud is a really shy Aboleth that just wants to be hugged but can't, since his touch turns everyone into eldritch things - the agony is real for him.

At least we have the occasional inclusive DM depicting heroic, noble Orcs with a warrior code already.
I can't approve of any more inclusive environment that conveniently forgets about the real victims no one even asked to redeem. The guys no one ever stood up for ever, just because they're apparently alien evils or something.
#hugsagainstdemonophobics
Okay. Great.

TheSword

Legend
I think the problem is precisely that sometimes we don’t see what the issue is. I don’t think you can blame a generation (that includes me) for being raised on literature and film that has all these assumptions built in underneath as subtext. We just never saw things as a problem and now we’re running to catch up.

We’ve been conditioned to think that slaying monstrous humanoids, warrior races, Vistani kidnapping young girls, and the this-one-half orc-is-ok trope are normal. Of course they’ve been the stories we’ve read since we were kids. Now a generation is coming along that haven’t been incubated in that limited sphere, and they are pointing out all this underlying stuff that we just filed away as normal. The fact that it is normal doesn’t make it right though.

I think the old guard (and I consider myself on the border of that group) need to take a moment and breath and question whether we’re gonna say something we are gonna regret in a year or two. It’s easy to fight passionately for something we like only to be embarrassed when we realize later it’s not as squeaky clean as we though.

On the flip side those mocking the old guard for ‘not getting it’ and saying good riddance should probably remember heuristics. The brain doesn’t spend time thinking about things it takes as a given. Heuristics is why racism is so difficult and we need to keep an open mind. Everybody stands on the shoulders of the generation before so don’t be arrogant that you can see things they can’t.

I’m casting that as a generational thing but of course there are oldies that are better informed and young people who still don’t get it yet.

It’s exciting times ahead and I think we’re going to see some very creative ideas come out from writers and companies in coming years, particularly WOC.

Last edited:

MrZeddaPiras

[insert something clever]
I'm not sure playing it like that is wise. I've always thought D&D had an implicit commentary on racism by stating that humans were all the same "race", while other fantasy races were actually born different. If they equate the different PC races to real world ethnicities, then we're left with a world with some free folks that can be anything they want and a large number of sentient beings that have no civil rights because they're born evil (non-PC races). I think they just highlighted one of the things that made D&D problematic before. To make this work they have to change the monsters. Which could turn out to be interesting, now that I think of it 🤔

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Well, if I read correctly the last part of the announce, that's just a thing they promise to do, isn't it?

Yeah... promises. I've seen them so many times from so many companies whenever some unrest happens. I believe it when I see it, and when it is more than just a token POC to justify their claims.

Classes morality check.

Fighter, Cleric, Paladin, can be easily associated to christian crusader. Failed.
Monk is using stereotype from Asian culture. Failed,
Barbarian use stereotype from Native American or Norse culture, Failed.
Wizard can be View as a promotion of intellectual elitism. Failed.
Ranger, we can’t allow a class that use Hunting and Beast exploitation. failed.
Rogue, Crime, Assassination, deception! failed.
Walock, weird pact without clear mutual consent, Failed.
Sorcerer. These are nice, growing internal power, but is this power available to everybody? failed.
Druid, maybe the only respectable class, but then you realize that he can summon and exploit animals and fey to fight for him. failed.

Last edited:

BnaaUK

Explorer
I know it's not the issue here, but just as an aside, does Beyond do okay with screenreaders and so on? My wife is an IT director at a charity and it is amazing/horrifying how even in that sector, so many people are just like "I don't think we need to follow any rules here..." about making web stuff screenreadable and generally friendly to people with disabilities, and she has to fight with them to get it done right.

It's not perfect, but does a good honest effort. Feels like they're very sincerely trying there, I know they've been slowly overhauling the site to increase it's usability too.

I rate DDB pretty highly for that, and look forward to see what the same team does with the Cortex system.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Perhaps the term “cultural consultant” works better for you?

Hmm...does that cover gender? My initial reaction to "sensitivity consultant" was also a bit negative, but really this is just good business as well as being the decent thing to do. This isn't government censorship, it is just a company trying to sure they don't have tin ears. Ultimately you are trying to be sensitive to language and artistic depictions that may offend or turn off certain cultures, races, genders, and even economic classes. More importantly, and more positively, you want to find way to appeal to a broader audience. So, ultimately, "sensitivity" is the correct word. It more broadly covers a what is likely a wide range of consultants you may consult for various products.

The irony here, however, is that trying to be sensitive to all groups tends is going to offend many. Ultimately, you are still adhering to the values of secular, mostly-western, liberal democracies.

The Glen

Legend
If you water the abilities down too much or make them too universal you might as well go with point buy for character creation. Skills and Powers did that back in 2nd edition and we don't remember that attempt too fondly. The ability modifiers serve as a baseline. Dwarves are hardier creatures, elves are more graceful, orcs have more muscle mass. It's not unreasonable they have certain advantages in those areas. Yes it shoehorns them into certain classes, but that's not something you're going to be able to avoid without watering them down to just boilerplates with the differences being purely cosmetic.

When it comes to design, the only diversity that counts is the diversity of thought. Doesn't matter how polychromatic your design team is, if they all have the same ideas then nothing new is being created. And if everybody agrees with you, you don't need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads