WotC Being Sued By Magic: the Gathering Judges

Wizards of the Coast, which, as you likely know, produces the enormous collectible card game Magic: The Gathering (as well as RPGs like D&D) is on the end of a class action lawsuit filed by a small group of M:tG judges (Adam Shaw, Peter Golightly, Justin Turner, and Joshua Stansfield). The suit alleges that WotC failed to pay minimum wage, provide meal or rest breaks, reimburse business expenses, maintain accurate payroll records, and more. M:tG judges are volunteers, but the filing appears to allege that the degree of supervision and control exercised by WotC was enough to create an employer-employee relationship instead. The M:tG judges are demanding a jury trial.

Wizards of the Coast, which, as you likely know, produces the enormous collectible card game Magic: The Gathering (as well as RPGs like D&D) is on the end of a class action lawsuit filed by a small group of M:tG judges (Adam Shaw, Peter Golightly, Justin Turner, and Joshua Stansfield). The suit alleges that WotC failed to pay minimum wage, provide meal or rest breaks, reimburse business expenses, maintain accurate payroll records, and more. M:tG judges are volunteers, but the filing appears to allege that the degree of supervision and control exercised by WotC was enough to create an employer-employee relationship instead. The M:tG judges are demanding a jury trial.

Click on the image for the full 23-page document
Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 13.54.41.png

Hussar

Legend
I don't see how I was supporting any absolute. But doesn't matter. You agree with me, just because someone can, doesn't mean someone should. i.e. their is something other than the law that should determine one's actions.

Umm, you've been arguing this whole thread that they shouldn't be suing because suing is somehow unethical in some cases. Now, since you agree that suing can be ethical, then what exactly are you arguing about?

And I don't see how the plaintiffs will be happy if the suit is thrown out.

Imperative? Seems too strong a word to me. Not every disagreement has a moral imperative to determine the truth. And this is where we disagree. You see that their was significant harm, or the potential for significant harm, that occurred. I don't.

Well, perhaps they won't be happy, but, at the end of the day, the matter has been resolved. They thought that they had been wronged, and it was shown that they were not. Again, perhaps happy is the wrong word, but, not really the important point.

Now, we get down to brass tacks here. "Significant harm" is not for you or me to determine. That's absolutely not your or my place to decide that. If you think that I have wronged you, that's all that matters. It is in no way for someone else to come along and say, "well, no, you really weren't harmed, you should stop complaining." Again, moral black hole. We have a couple of extremely long threads on En World right now talking about harassment. Your point here is exactly part of the problem. "Oh, well, women shouldn't complain about being harassed, they aren't really being harmed" is very much NOT your decision to make.

You can feel that way all you like, but, it in no way makes it unethical or immoral to sue someone just because someone who is completely unaffected and largely uninformed thinks that someone hasn't suffered enough harm to take things to court.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Two saints, a sandwich and a friend. Not a lawyer among them.

Wait a minute...that's no sandwich!

inq88.jpg

Umm, you've been arguing this whole thread that they shouldn't be suing because suing is somehow unethical in some cases. Now, since you agree that suing can be ethical, then what exactly are you arguing about?

"In some cases" means it is not an absolute. In either direction. Again, you credit me with statement or intents that I have not made or intend.

Now, we get down to brass tacks here. "Significant harm" is not for you or me to determine. That's absolutely not your or my place to decide that. If you think that I have wronged you, that's all that matters. It is in no way for someone else to come along and say, "well, no, you really weren't harmed, you should stop complaining." Again, moral black hole. We have a couple of extremely long threads on En World right now talking about harassment. Your point here is exactly part of the problem. "Oh, well, women shouldn't complain about being harassed, they aren't really being harmed" is very much NOT your decision to make.

I've participated in that thread and have not said or supported anything of the kind. In fact the opposite.

You can feel that way all you like, but, it in no way makes it unethical or immoral to sue someone just because someone who is completely unaffected and largely uninformed thinks that someone hasn't suffered enough harm to take things to court.

You don't know enough about me to make such a statement. You have become emotional and your personal attacks on me have rendered this discussion useless.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads