WotC WotC D&D Community Update

WotC posted a community update to share news of what they are working on for community outreach.

WotC posted a community update to share news of what they are working on for community outreach.

49B06082-2058-4816-8C3D-69AA4A9CF07B.png

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It came up in several of the OGL interviews he did I believe, at a minimum

starting at about 20:55
Thanks for the link. But “I don’t see why not” and “here’s a list of reasons why not” don’t add up to a “yes, we’re absolutely doing this thing.”

teitan

Legend
I kept telling people to quit worrying about OSR style games and publishing and blam here we are, they're doing it. The OGL is really moot.

Dire Bare

Legend
They are saying "previous editions" instead of "previous SRDs". Am I reading too much, or is it possible that 4e and/or AD&D will be added to Creative Commons?
We'll have to see, but I'm really getting the impression that WotC is looking into creating an SRD for all previous editions, to then release into Creative Commons. This will of course take work and time, and isn't likely at the top of their priority list.

It makes sense, to me. The OSR community has already hacked all previous editions of D&D multiple times, if WotC can look like they are supporting the community by making that easier, or by supporting that . . . it's free and easy community good will over something already happening.

mamba

Legend
it's free and easy community good will over something already happening.
it’s not exactly free if you have to create those SRDs from scratch. How much goodwill it gets you (that helps your bottom line) is also unclear to me, as those SRDs will not be used to create anything 5e related.
I am not even sure there is much of a point in it, since the 3e SRD was apparently sufficient for all the retroclones, so having that under CC is more important (and that already is more of a formality than not) than having a 1e SRD at all.

Either way, I applaud them for thinking about it.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
it’s not exactly free if you have to create those SRDs from scratch. How much goodwill it gets you (that helps your bottom line) is also unclear to me, as those SRDs will not be used to create anything 5e related.
I am not even sure there is much of a point in it, since the 3e SRD was apparently sufficient for all the retroclones, so having that under CC is more important (and that already is more of a formality than not) than having a 1e SRD at all.

Either way, I applaud them for thinking about it.
Releasing Original D&D (74) to the Creative Commons in 2024 is both goodwill and good marketing

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I am interested in an AD&D SRD just to see what the initiative section looks like
Hopefully it matches the PHB:

“The initiative check is typically made with 2 six-sided dice, 1d6 for the party, and another of a different size or color for the creatures encountered.” High roll wins, re-roll ties.

Not whatever crufty nonsense they added later.

Remove ads

Remove ads