D&D 5E WotC Delays New D&D Book Announcement

This from WotC — “Get the quasits out of our office! Our plan to make a D&D book announcement on Thursday has been changed. Adventurers, mark your calendars for Monday, January 13.”

This from WotC — “Get the quasits out of our office! Our plan to make a D&D book announcement on Thursday has been changed. Adventurers, mark your calendars for Monday, January 13.”

46DC5C6F-B5F2-4968-9AC0-963D767EEDFC.png

The book was due to be announced on Thursday 9th January after a mysterious entry appeared on Amazon with a product title of "Dungeons & Dragons March Release Book (Title announced January 9th)" and a release date of March 17th, 2020. See the original news item here:
They haven't given a reason; back in November WotC delayed the launch of the sapphire D&D anniversary dice at the last minute, too.

Anoth

Adventurer
Most new settings seem so Meta to me. Although I am desperate to tryout any new settings. I keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I love Matt Mercer and CR is fun...but I'm really disappointed in this. We now have two Campaign Settings that no one asked for (Ravinica and now Wildemount) while fan favorites like Planescape, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and heck, everything in FR that isn't the Sword Coast or Chult have had no official support at all.

I share your preferences but I have seen so many threads on reddit and GitP asking for helping building blood hunters and cobalt monks that I I imagine there is a market for this.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I share your preferences but I have seen so many threads on reddit and GitP asking for helping building blood hunters and cobalt monks that I I imagine there is a market for this.
There likely is a market for this, which makes me sad, because I want truly new campaign settings, original to 5E, barring Exandria because I find it so boring. I wouldn't mind seeing a return of Dark Sun or another older campaign setting, either, though.

dave2008

Legend
I love Matt Mercer and CR is fun...but I'm really disappointed in this. We now have two Campaign Settings that no one asked for (Ravinica and now Wildemount) while fan favorites like Planescape, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and heck, everything in FR that isn't the Sword Coast or Chult have had no official support at all.
I lot of people asked for MtG settings and with the popularity of critical role I imagine a lot asked for something like this is well. When over 50% of the market doesn't even run a campaign setting, I think tying one into MtG or something else more broadly popular makes some sense. Personally, I will reserve judgment until I see the book.

Last edited:

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I’m a big CR fan, but it’s not the setting that makes the show great (the setting is quite generic) so this doesn’t interest me very much. Hope this is less a setting book and more an adventure book.

If this results in Wildemount becoming fair game for DMSGuild, that will be really nice for creators.

From a business standpoint, this does make more sense than Planescape, Dragonlance, etc. Anyone that thinks “more fans” are interested in those than are interested in Critical Role is in a bubble. For better or worse, CR is way more important and way more visible than those settings right now.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I’m a big CR fan, but it’s not the setting that makes the show great (the setting is quite generic) so this doesn’t interest me very much. Hope this is less a setting book and more an adventure book.

If this results in Wildemount becoming fair game for DMSGuild, that will be really nice for creators.

From a business standpoint, this does make more sense than Planescape, Dragonlance, etc. Anyone that thinks “more fans” are interested in those than are interested in Critical Role is in a bubble. For better or worse, CR is way more important and way more visible than those settings right now.
Your comment on the state of the market's desires is accurate. I doubt many new players have even heard of Birthright or Hollow World, and probably don't know much about Dark Sun or Planescape.

While that's a fair assessment, I just find the choice uninspired. Like you said, people watch CR because of the personalities involved, not because the setting is particularly interesting. I understand choosing Wildemount over, say, Dragonlance or Greyhawk, but it's disappointing that it was chosen over more unique settings like Dark Sun and Planescape, in my opinion.

Remove ads

Remove ads