D&D General WotC Founder Peter Adkison On Hasbro's Layoffs

"Layoffs, when handed poorly ... are failings of character."

images.jpeg

Peter Adkison, who owned Wizards of the Coast until it was sold to Hasbro in 1999, oversaw the relaunch of Dungeons & Dragons with D&D 3rd Edition. Today, he commented on this week's round of Hasbro layoffs, which have ripped through WotC. Adkison left WotC in 2000 and currently runs a production company called Hostile Work Environment.

Like many of you, I'm saddened to learn about the layoffs at Hasbro.

Caveat: I have no idea of what’s happening behind the scenes at WotC. If you’re asking who’s at fault, or to what extent it was or was not justified, that’s outside the scope of my knowledge. This post is about my own reflections.

When I read about the layoffs at Hasbro my immediate feeling was shame. Shame for when I did the same thing, at the same company (WotC, before we sold it to Hasbro).

I have made lots of mistakes, tons of them, more than I can even remember. And while I regret those mistakes, and I’m sad for those hurt, I realize it’s part of learning and it’s part of being human.

But layoffs, when handed poorly, or when they are unnecessary, aren’t just mistakes. They are failings of character. Those times when I had a failure of character, those are the moments that haunt me.

TheSword

Legend
Stock options grants employees the right to buy shares of the company at a set price after a certain period of time. Since there is no cost to the employee, it's essentially free money regardless of when it's exercised. How much the employee makes from the purchase depends is the difference between the "set price", and the market price of the stock.

Typically, companies establish the "set price" of the issued options well below the current market value at the time of issuance so the employee will always be in a net positive position. (...unless the stock price crashes through the floor)
I understand what they are. My point was it’s not as simple as taking $9m and dividing that between an average employee salary and saying we could have saved x team.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It was a rhetorical question. I can do the math myself, I just didn't have my calculator handy. :) ;)

Doing the breakdown where everyone can see it is important though. Looking at other social media, a lot of folks aren't doing the math themselves, and the results are not great.

nerfherder

Explorer
Would say the data doesn't hold with that premise.

High-Income-Taxpayers-Paid-the-Highest-Average-Income-Tax-Rates-Average-federal-income-tax-rate-by-income-group-in-2019-Summary-of-the-Latest-Federal-Income-Tax-Data-2022-Update.png
Without any further information, that just appears to show the tax rate that they fall into. That doesn't mean that is a) the income tax they will pay, or b) their total tax burden.

e.g. in the UK, if you fall into the 40% tax bracket, you could pay into a personal pension to reduce your income, and so pay less tax.

mamba

Legend
that ignores all the ways in which you can reduce your taxes when you are really rich rather than, say, make 500k per year

“A 2021 report from the White House's Office of Management and Budget and Council of Economic Advisers found that as of now, the U.S.'s 400 wealthiest billionaire families pay an average federal tax rate of 8.2%.”

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Christmas layoffs seem a common thing in the US, I guess it is something to do with the tax year rather than just to be spiteful.
I've just been laid off myself from a US company. It was after a reorganization where my whole (global) team was split and reshuffled, my new remote boss soon after that went on extended leave so I got reassigned to a different temporary remote boss, and then when he had to meet cost cutting demands let me go as well as all of my reports in the Americas time zones.

The cost cutting directive definitely came down from on high, and likely was due to the upcoming end of fiscal year in at least some of the countries.

TheSword

Legend
I've just been laid off myself from a US company. It was after a reorganization where my whole (global) team was split and reshuffled, my new remote boss soon after that went on extended leave so I got reassigned to a different temporary remote boss, and then when he had to meet cost cutting demands let me go as well as all of my reports in the Americas time zones.

The cost cutting directive definitely came down from on high, and likely was due to the upcoming end of fiscal year in at least some of the countries.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they are supporting you through it. Not that it’s much consolation.

<Chart>
The chart you provide specifically mentions that this is a tax on 'income.' The ability of people with a large amount of their resources coming from capital gains on stocks to not treat those resources on income for tax purposes is a major reason for the problem you are trying to pretend does not exist.

Now, if you have some actual data regarding what amount of total wealth (in percentages or raw numbers) high- and low-wealth individuals actually end up dispensing through taxation, I'm sure we'd all be happy to discuss it*.
*so far as board policy allows.

cranberry

Adventurer
Tax rates are irrelevant for this discussion.

The point is that Executives should take (material) responsibility for their mistakes instead of shifting the consequences off to the workers. But that's not part of the business culture.

I once built a staffing analysis for a group using their own time study numbers. My results demonstrated that the Exec had been padding her FTE's by about 50%. The justification was the need to cover time off and turn over...but she grossly over estimated that...

So, as punishment for wasting millions of dollars of the company's money for several years, she was transferred and promoted.

NotAYakk

Legend
Stock options grants employees the right to buy shares of the company at a set price after a certain period of time. Since there is no cost to the employee, it's essentially free money regardless of when it's exercised. How much the employee makes from the purchase depends is the difference between the "set price", and the market price of the stock.

Typically, companies establish the "set price" of the issued options well below the current market value at the time of issuance so the employee will always be in a net positive position. (...unless the stock price crashes through the floor)
And this is a transfer of wealth from stock holders to the options vester.

If a company is worth 1 million dollars and has 100,000 shares outstanding, those shares are worth 10$, and you give someone 10,000 options at 1$ and they exercise them, the company gets 10,000$ and now has 110,000 shares outstanding. The company is now worth 1,010,000 dollars (the extra 10,000$ increases the company worth by 10,000$), but 110,000 shares means the shares are now worth 9.18$.

Now, in practice, it doesn't cause a change in share price in the instant - the smart investor knows about the options existing, so prices them into the value of the stock before they are exercised. They act as a (expected share price-1$)*number of options non-cash liability on the books, like a deprecated asset.

But stock options are indeed a transfer of wealth from share holders to the CEO (or other employee). They also happen to be tax-friendly in a few ways, and they produce short-term incentives for the employee to help juke up the stock price.

High-Income-Taxpayers-Paid-the-Highest-Average-Income-Tax-Rates-Average-federal-income-tax-rate-by-income-group-in-2019-Summary-of-the-Latest-Federal-Income-Tax-Data-2022-Update.png
This is not to be trusted for a few reasons. Basically, whomever did this picked a way of looking at the data that is most friendly to their position.

So the first take away should be "never trust anything this organization produces, they are trying to lie to you without saying false statements".

1. Federal income tax is the most progressive tax in the USA. State taxes, especially consumption taxes, are far more regressive.

A 10% sales tax, 100$ a year car registration tax, etc -- all hit the lower income brackets for a larger percentage of their income than the higher income brackets.

2. What we call "Income" is something that the rich avoid. You can gain net worth without income, and you can even use money to make your life better without it ever counting as income! The poorer you are, the harder it is for your money to avoid being "income".

The simplest example of this is capital gains. If you have an asset that gains in value, you get a lower tax rate, and you only pay taxes on it when you convert it to cash. You can even borrow against its current value and spend that money without paying taxes on its gain in value.

Like, take Bob who earns 100,000$ per year salary. Bob pays income tax of 20% on it (he has a great accountant or something). Bob invests 30,000$ per year and spends 50,000$ per year. His investment grows at 10% per year (!), also taxes at 20%.

After 10 years Bob has spent 500,000$ and has 470,000$ invested and has paid 256,000$ in taxes. Effective tax rate is 26% of what Bob spending+gain in assets.

Alice has a 1 million dollar asset that gain 10% in value every year - also 100,000$ per year gain, but investment not "income". Alice simply borrows 50,000$ spending money against that increasing asset value at 6% interest. Alice pays no taxes until she realizes her capital gains.

After 10 years Alice sells her asset. It is taxed at 10% (half Bob's tax rate, capital gains baby) of its gains. It is worth 2.6 million dollars, of which 1.6 is gains, taxed down to 1.44. The debt is 700,000$, which she pays off. Alice has spend 500,000$ and has 740,000$ surplus (above the initial million) to invest. She has paid 160,000$ in taxes. Effective tax rate of 13% of Alice's spending+gain in assets.

And Alice can do way better than this in the real world; as others have noted, the total tax rate of the top 1% tends to be tiny.

What more, suppose consumption taxes are 10%. This is 50,000$ to both of them, but a larger percentage of Bob's money than Alice's.

This is a situation where both are normally equally wealthy. If we now go and boost Alice's investment income by 10x, her consumption of things we tax doesn't go up 10x - food, gas, consumer goods. Her consumption of things we don't tax the same way - donations to attend galas, buying politicians, donations to schools to get her kids in, country club "foundation" donations, real estate, companies, etc - go up.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads