• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC Generates 75% Of Hasbro's Profit

ICv2 is reporting that WotC generated $110M of Hasbro's $147.3M operating profits in the first quarter of this year, with an increase of 15% on last year. Of overall sales, WotC generated (only!) 22% of Hasbro's $1.1B. The growth is attributed to Magic: the Gathering and D&D. Recently, Hasbro restructured with 'WotC and Digital Gaming' getting it own division...

ICv2 is reporting that WotC generated $110M of Hasbro's $147.3M operating profits in the first quarter of this year, with an increase of 15% on last year.

wotc.jpeg

Of overall sales, WotC generated (only!) 22% of Hasbro's $1.1B.

The growth is attributed to Magic: the Gathering and D&D. Recently, Hasbro restructured with 'WotC and Digital Gaming' getting it own division.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, Amazon is the obvious candidate. Or Netflix/Disney/whoever if the upcoming movie and TV show are successful.

But yeah, it's bordering on impossible to see Hasbro letting WotC go at this point.
I think it's more likely Disney would just buy Hasbro in full across the board for vertical integration purposes. That's the only realistic scenario I can see for new corporate ownership of D&D.

GreyLord

Legend
Wut.

Who could even afford it who'd be interested?
Disney.

And...despite that many think that Disney is the biggest media conglomerate on the Block, they are actually small change compared to another.

Not that they will. I'd say an offer of 2-4 Billion would perk some eyes...but I don't think Hasbro would let it go at this point even for that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Disney.

And...despite that many think that Disney is the biggest media conglomerate on the Block, they are actually small change compared to another.

Not that they will. I'd say an offer of 2-4 Billion would perk some eyes...but I don't think Hasbro would let it go at this point even for that.
Hasbro itself is only worth $4 billion, last I checked. There were rumors Disney might buy Hasbro a few years back. Stranger things have happened.

GreyLord

Legend
Hasbro itself is only worth $4 billion, last I checked. There were rumors Disney might buy Hasbro a few years back. Stranger things have happened.
I believe the bigger problem is that would require approval by vote by the majority of the Holders. AT least one of those probably thinks Disney is the Devil.

They might be willing to let a portion go for a significant amount of money, at least would have a better chance at passing the vote on the board if not the stock holders general.

I don't see it happening currently though, at least (or perhaps especially) for WotC and brands associated. You never know though. If the bribe is big enough...

But Disney isn't the only one out there, and isn't even the biggest one. Ironically, I think other brands generally come to mind when companies consider Hasbro rather than D&D or MtG...even if WotC brands have had a big impact recently.

Remove ads

Remove ads