WotC WotC in a small decline as revenue drops by 16% as Hasbro shares hit a new 52-week low

FallenRX

Adventurer
Hasbro profit misses the mark as toy maker faces high inventory and inflation

Revenue for the period fell 15% compared to last year, dragged down by a 35% decrease in entertainment revenue. Its Wizards of the Coast unit, which includes “Dungeons & Dragons” and “Magic: The Gathering,” saw revenues decline 16%.

As prices for goods and supplies surge, the toy and game giant has increased prices for products like Nerf Blasters and My Little Pony figures.

For the fourth quarter, the company expects flat results versus last year, buoyed by the “Magic: The Gathering” brand. The digital and trading card game has grown into the company’s first $1 billion brand and the 30th anniversary of the game occurs in the fourth quarter.
Seems a slight slump for the game, probably just inflation woes, and some issues, with magic but still concerning.

Remathilis

Legend
Hasbro profit misses the mark as toy maker faces high inventory and inflation

Seems a slight slump for the game, probably just inflation woes, and some issues, with magic but still concerning.
Magic took a big one on the chin with the announcement of their $1000 non-play-legal randomized collector cards product for their 30th anniversary; an item so designed to cater to whales and speculators several prominent MTG community members refuse to buy and/or sell it.

I have to admit I haven't bought much from WotC lately, not because I'm mad at them but they just haven't released anything worth buying.

The Wild Beyond The Witchlight - Sounds cool, but is a campaign, so no sale.
Fizban's Treasury of Dragons - Maybe I'm playing the wrong game, but I've never been keen on dragons, and nothing in it seemed exciting. I think that's first sourcebook I've skipped in 5E (rather than a setting book or adventure).
Strixhaven - Is a campaign with a relatively sketched-out setting that has a massive tonal conflict with the much edgier/cool MtG take on the same setting. Again not buying campaigns.
Call of the Netherdeep - Sounds cool, but it's a campaign, so no sale.
Journeys Through The Radiant Citadel - Cute but I need a bunch of short but extremely heavily themed and location-specific adventures like I need a hole in the head.
Spelljammer - A wildly underdetailed, overpriced very straight take on a setting I was only ever moderately keen on. Custom designed to avoid me buying it!

I did get MotM though, but that's it. Normally I'd have spent a lot more. What's interesting to me is, via Beyond, I can see the purchases of the other DMs I play with via Beyond/Roll 20, and one of them bought The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, and another one bought MotM, but that's it. That's unusual for those three. One of them habitually buys virtually every setting and adventure book, and the other buys most settings, but neither bought anything.

I might buy Dragonlance, but like, every time the designer does an interview they seem to manage to make it slightly less attractive. I wasn't expecting some hardline trad Dragonlance, but it sounds awfully like they're going for generic fantasy with a vague DL motif (even by DL's low standards!), which is honestly a bit weird. So I'm very much awaiting reviews from people who aren't the kind of fan-reviewers who only give WotC print products between 3.5 and 5 stars lol.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I thought they said it was set timing? (If magic set release timing shifts quarters between years, that's a huge shift down in one and up in another).

In any case the 30th anniversary proxy ser announcement is way too recent to have caused a Q3 slump..

darjr

I crit!
OK, YTD. Looks like the table top is up, D&D was down due to the video game.

Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 5.30.46 PM.png

Clint_L

Hero
Can't comment on M:tG, but D&D sales were bound to slow down after years of very impressive growth. D&D historically has ups and downs as new generations discover it and then many age out of it (some of who return later when it hits another up cycle). OneD&D is WotC trying to mitigate this cycle by not providing an obvious jumping off point between editions. We shall see.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases