WotC WotC in a small decline as revenue drops by 16% as Hasbro shares hit a new 52-week low

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Planescape doesn’t have a chance. I honestly cant wait to see how they strip out layers and layers of it and change all the little unique things to make it as generic as possible.

I mean, it will be bare minimum lore as usual and most of the book is a heist adventure as you try to steal Lady of Pains headdress or something.

Staffan

Legend
He also said several times that the non-playable ones (regulation size but with gold borders or different backs) were covered by the reserve list too...

View attachment 265178
I think Mark is actually a little confused here. The current version of the reprint policy says:

Tournament Legality
All policies described in this document apply only to tournament-legal Magic cards.

I think what Mark is thinking about here was the loophole that cards could be reprinted in premium versions (e.g. foil). They released a couple of premium versions as judge promos, and in a Duel Decks and a From the Vaults product. Apparently that caused some protests, so they decided to amend the reprint policy to close that loophole.

It seems odd to me to think that some sort of settlement already happened. I can imagine a threat of a legal action. WotC might be big enough now that lawyering up and fighting it if it comes up would be a thing they could do.
The Reserve List was created as a response to complaints about, I believe, Chronicles, which reprinted a large number of cards from earlier sets (with white borders instead of black to denote their non-original status). This caused a lot of collectors to complain, because it caused the values of their collections to plummet.

Personally, I believe its creation was a mistake, because people who treat toys as speculative investments deserve to have their misconceptions corrected. But apparently Wizards at the time disagreed, and given that they have made actual promises not to reprint these cards they have to live with those promises.

My expectation, in early 2021 and onwards, was that I would probably be buying:

Strixhaven - For sure - I was under the impression this was a setting book, and also that it was the cool MtG take on the setting. Neither turned out to be the case.
Wild Beyond the Witchlight - Possibly was going to break tradition if it was good enough, because of the theme. It wasn't.
Radiant Citadel - I didn't get how extremely heavily-themed this apparently is until I read reviews. I am open to short adventure collections if they're very easy to drop into a campaign, but that requires them to be pretty generic. I still use some 1E & 2E adventure collections in 5E (and Dungeon World!) I note.
Fizban's Dragon Book - Yeah I don't like dragons much, but as a sourcebook, I expected it to be compelling enough that I'd get it anyway. It was not.
Spelljammer - I thought I'd be "UGH I GUESS!" and getting it because it would be cool. Unfortunately it was an overpriced car crash.
I don't know how you know these things suck, when you have not read them.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think Mark is actually a little confused here. The current version of the reprint policy says:

Tournament Legality
All policies described in this document apply only to tournament-legal Magic cards.

That's what I thought too, but I think Maro restated it a few times.

I think what Mark is thinking about here was the loophole that cards could be reprinted in premium versions (e.g. foil). They released a couple of premium versions as judge promos, and in a Duel Decks and a From the Vaults product. Apparently that caused some protests, so they decided to amend the reprint policy to close that loophole.

The Reserve List was created as a response to complaints about, I believe, Chronicles, which reprinted a large number of cards from earlier sets (with white borders instead of black to denote their non-original status). This caused a lot of collectors to complain, because it caused the values of their collections to plummet.

Personally, I believe its creation was a mistake, because people who treat toys as speculative investments deserve to have their misconceptions corrected. But apparently Wizards at the time disagreed, and given that they have made actual promises not to reprint these cards they have to live with those promises.
I was in grad school helping a friend who sold cards at the time. Between Fallen Empires massive over printing and then Chronicles, if they hadn't done anything then I'm not that sure that magic would have made it without doing something.

If you went back and told WotC that MtG would still be around 30 years later I bet they would have thought of something better :). (Limiting the reprints, spacing the out over time, etc... but not banning it forever).

Stormonu

Legend
The rotation is Gamer owned, Business owned, Gamer Owned, Business owned..

Next up is Gamer owned. So some rich gamer will buy it. Run it for a bit and then sale it to a corp.
I can just see Justin put in a bid to buy Hasbro because "it's going bankrupt".

"It's a fair price!!!"

hedgeknight

Explorer
No more 5E products for me.
I'm going backwards ;)
Love the POD modules and sourcebooks from DriveThru RPG and some of the newer retro adventures are pretty cool too. Like I said earlier, if there were never any more products, we'd be fine for ages.

Are you even serious here? That is a beneath-contempt level of bad take.

It's also extremely hypocritical, given we can 100% guarantee that you have made assertions regarding products/media you don't own.
No it’s not, why do you hate say Wild Beyond the Witchlight given you apparently know nothing about it.

Do you just go off reviews or something.

Cause all I have seen of you is you saying that everything sucks.

Planescape doesn’t have a chance. I honestly cant wait to see how they strip out layers and layers of it and change all the little unique things to make it as generic as possible.

I mean, it will be bare minimum lore as usual and most of the book is a heist adventure as you try to steal Lady of Pains headdress or something.
I don’t know you have been wrong about every other prediction you have made in my opinion.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but my impression was that the videogame did very poorly and thus didn't make expected profits (if it even made a profit at all).
Dark Alliance didn't do well in reviews, but it seems to have made rhem money, based on these charts.

A video game doesn't have to be good to turn a healthy profit, that's why the video game industry is the way that it is. Being great can lead to a lot of money, but even mediocrity can cover payroll and keep the lights on.

Also, it was on Gamepass, IIRC, so Microsoft probably helped them cover costs.

Remove ads