WotC WotC invites Bob the World Builder and other creators to an in person Summit.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Everyone realizes that this is WoTc's attempt to butter up the influencers, right?....

I guess Kyle's damage control tour wasn't enough.
Okay?

The influencers make their living talking about brands and hobbies, basically.

But this is also part of making things right. Rebuilding burned bridges.

Propaganda 101.

Considering how the majority of the community flipped the second WotC released 5.1 under CC-BY, it likely won't take much wining and dining to bring many of the "influencers" back into the tent.
“Flipped” is an odd word to use when talking about a community getting what it demanded from wotc annd more… and being okay with that.

Iosue

Legend
They are casting a wide net, and, no disrespect intended, I'm surprised Bob made the cut. But, hey, good for him! He'll have a great time!
Given his subscriber numbers, I was surprised he was on the list for the apology tour. But even he doesn't have a great deal of reach (comparatively) right now, I could see his channel as being the kind that WotC would want to promote. Before the Dark Times, anyway. His tone is always pretty positive, he doesn't court controversy, and he did a deep dive on the Essentials Kit, making videos about each of the quests in Dragon of Icespire Peak, which was essentially free advertising. Also, his channel is very DM-centric, helping people become, and become better, DMs.

The OGL debacle really soured him on D&D, though. So it will be interesting to see if the summit can get him more or less back on board.

dave2008

Legend
I thought that's who we were talking about.
I think @Micah Sweet was talking more generally about influencers and not Bob or anyone in particular.

I know I share that sentiment. I dislike the general idea of influencers and that is a roadblock for me to even begin watching someone. It isn't about the specific person and whether or not they embody traits I dislike, it is just the concept taints the whole endeavor for me. It is more on the observer end than the presenter end. It is a distaste for advertising really.

mamba

Legend
I think @Micah Sweet was talking more generally about influencers and not Bob or anyone in particular.
he was essentially throwing all channels into an ‘influencer’ box, without having watched any. It was then pointed out that the one person this thread was actually about does not belong in that box.

Pretty sure we all feel similarly about the generic influencers, but once we get to specific youtubers we will disagree on what side they fall on.
Is Matt Mercer an influencer? He can make or break a kickstarter by talking about it (I doubt Bob can)… and gets paid handsomely for doing so

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I have yet to see a single writer invited, even ones with audiences larger than Bob's (Bob's non OGL stuff gets <20k views) aren't on the invite list.

It's not really a creator's summit so much as a video event

Remove ads