WotC WotC is hiring Senior Manager for Diversity, equity and inclusion.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can you recommend a writing book that enthuses "corporate" style in any situation. I've read dozens of writing books, including those that cover business writing. Never once have I see jargon recommend over clear transparent communication.

The way I see it, corporate jargon, instead, manipulates the reader and obscures communication.
I suggest you don’t apply for the job then.

Just because someone else does it, doesn't make something OK.

Here are some words & phrases from the first two sections I find confusing. I don't have a clear picture what WotC was imagining because their language can be interpreted multiple way or is so general as to be meaningless.
  • Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Leader
  • innovative organizations
  • bring their whole selves
  • critical advantage
  • strong connection
  • strategic partner
  • developing talent
  • inclusive environment
  • integrate and amplify diverse perspectives
  • equitable fashion
  • under-represented perspectives
  • moderate safe space
  • Evaluate and report the effectiveness
  • impact
  • best-in-class industry DE&I practices
  • Support and empower
  • deliver their goals
  • growing the feedback loop
Every field has it's jargon. Jargon makes for efficient communication since you can express something in a word or short phrase of jaron that would require a full sentence or more of plain English.

Anyone who's qualified for this kind of job can read that job advert with no problem.

Every field has it's jargon. Jargon makes for efficient communication since you can express something in a word or short phrase of jaron that would require a full sentence or more of plain English.

Anyone who's qualified for this kind of job can read that job advert with no problem.

That's a fine opinion. Then, like I asked the other poster, please define the word "impact" in a concrete way. I understand it means "results" - but that word too is abstract.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was looking at this programming job. It had all this jargon! Look, I have a PS4. They should hire me. And they should write their job ads without all that jargon like SQL Server and multithreading, and WEB API 2, and Analyst Programmer. And there's this job at Oxford University, talks about carbonised papyri and data curation and advanced imaging techniques. Why can't they just use normal words? Anyway, they should hire me because I was in a boat on the river in Oxford once.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I expect real English words and short flaring sentences, not jargon. Let's see some respect for the Common Tongue!

The job posting is not a press release. It doesn't need to be meaningful to the general public. It needs to be meaningful to the type of expert they are trying to hire. That expert should (nay, must as a job requirement) be conversant with the jargon of the field. If you are hiring an engineer, you'll see engineering jargon in the req. For this, you'll see management jargon.

I was looking at this programming job. It had all this jargon! Look, I have a PS4. They should hire me. And they should write their job ads without all that jargon like SQL Server and multithreading, and WEB API 2, and Analyst Programmer. And there's this job at Oxford University, talks about carbonised papyri and data curation and advanced imaging techniques. Why can't they just use normal words? Anyway, they should hire me because I was in a boat on the river in Oxford once.

Well, I have to agree with two of your words I would classify as vague jargon: Analyst Programmer and advanced imaging technique. The others all seem very precise and detailed.

SQL Server, carbonised papyri , data curation, multithreading, and WEB API 2 are all wonderfully precise.

MGibster

Legend
"Partner with Wizards' Leadership to improve our strategic DE&I plan & identify new opportunities to integrate and amplify diverse perspectives within our ... products. "this seems to indicate that the person will be involved with creative and narrative work in the IP. I suppose that whether or not this is a good or bad thing very much depends on your point of view about DE&I.

This is typical language used for a position that's expected to be an HR strategic partner and doesn't indicate that this person will be involved in narrative or creative work with their IP. We'd use similar language at my company if we were hiring a DEI manager without expecting them to have any control over our lines of business. The DEI is going to achieve the goals you listed above primarily in these ways:
  1. They will improve diversity through the recruitment process (internally and externally).
  2. Foster an inclusive environment were people feel safe to talk about DEI issues even when challenging accepted norms.
  3. Make sure the company is engaging in best practices for an inclusive environment where employees can be their best selves.
I also read that the job will require some arbitration between differing parties and philosophies in presentation of the IP, with final say being in the hand of the senior manager for DE&I. This is probably going to be, at the least, stressful and thankless work for whoever gets it.

In HR, arbitration means using a neutral third party to settle labor disputes. The DEI will facilitate discussion, but if final say on the product lies with senior management, well, that means the DEI is not an arbiter. And assuming senior management is behind this, I think the job has the potential to be highly rewarding.

That could be. It could also be a paper tiger position that is simply advisory. It seems like a lot of effort to create a sinecure position.

This position is a support role. It's going to be the responsibility of the managers to implement steps to achieve the strategic goals of the company. And it's going to be the responsibility of upper management to come down on their employees if they fail to work towards those strategic goals. When someone does substandard work or breaks the rules it's the manager who writes the employee up not HR.

Dausuul

Legend
I don’t think anyone who understands how multiverse IDs work thinks it was intentional. It’s pretty clearly a very unfortunate coincidence. But it’s an unfortunate coincidence that really should have been caught and addressed much sooner than it was.
I think the card itself should have been dealt with much sooner. If its multiverse ID were 2599 instead of 1488, and everything else were the same, would it be any less appalling? Not really.

With the name, the effect, and the art that is literally depicting guys in KKK outfits, the multiverse ID just seems like a weird thing to focus on here.

Remove ads