D&D 4E WoTC is increasing the amount of 4e info, but..

lexoanvil

First Post
i would like to know how multi-classing works simply because one of my players is working on the history for his new char and he would like a better understanding of it. from it so these updates should prove helpful.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I own a Comic & Game store. (Thank God I love 4E so I can be totally honest AND sell it! :D )

I would never be dishonest with my customers, but there is a BIG difference between being honest and slagging something you don't like.

As an example: I don't like Heroclix. In fact, I don't like any of the actual rules of any Wizkids game. Howevery, I sell a whole bunch of them, have a guy who runs tournaments, etc etc. Do I go around telling the folks who play the tournaments that I think the gameplay sucks? No!

I can have pleasant conversations with them about the figures, (I think most of the sculpts are cool) The characters (I know more Comic info than any of the players I've met) and even the rules (I don't think they all suck).

I'm never dishonest about it. They know I don't play it, and that it's not my thing. I've told them I'm not into it. IF they ask, I can tell them WHY, but it's not something I need to get into with them. They like it, why would I WANT to convince them otherwise?

If someone who was new to it asked what I thought of it, I'd tell them what I liked about it, ask them what kind of games they are into and try to get a feel for if they would like it, and if it seemed appropriate tell them what I feel the drawbacks are. But it sure as heck wouldn't go:

Customer: "Hey I'm thinking of picking up Heroclix. What do you think about it?"
Me: "Worst... game... ever!"

But you know, most Comic and Game stores are like that. It's one of the many reasons we're not more "mainstream".

Fitz

Holy Bovine

First Post
Bishmon said:
Or he could continue being honest with his customers so those customers continue to choose to shop at his store, and not at some other store that doesn't lie to them in order to get their money.

Anyway, I'm glad they're finally doing this, but I think it's a bit too late.

It does prove a theory about how to make a small fortune running a games store though.

Start with a big fortune...

OchreJelly

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
I own a Comic & Game store. (Thank God I love 4E so I can be totally honest AND sell it! :D )

I would never be dishonest with my customers, but there is a BIG difference between being honest and slagging something you don't like.

As an example: I don't like Heroclix. In fact, I don't like any of the actual rules of any Wizkids game. Howevery, I sell a whole bunch of them, have a guy who runs tournaments, etc etc. Do I go around telling the folks who play the tournaments that I think the gameplay sucks? No!

I can have pleasant conversations with them about the figures, (I think most of the sculpts are cool) The characters (I know more Comic info than any of the players I've met) and even the rules (I don't think they all suck).

I'm never dishonest about it. They know I don't play it, and that it's not my thing. I've told them I'm not into it. IF they ask, I can tell them WHY, but it's not something I need to get into with them. They like it, why would I WANT to convince them otherwise?

If someone who was new to it asked what I thought of it, I'd tell them what I liked about it, ask them what kind of games they are into and try to get a feel for if they would like it, and if it seemed appropriate tell them what I feel the drawbacks are. But it sure as heck wouldn't go:

Customer: "Hey I'm thinking of picking up Heroclix. What do you think about it?"
Me: "Worst... game... ever!"

But you know, most Comic and Game stores are like that. It's one of the many reasons we're not more "mainstream".

Fitz

And if your shop was in my area, I would frequent it and value your insight.

Really it comes down to listening to customers. “Having nothing good to say about a product” tells me nothing. Moreover, if a store employee behaved like that toward any product without saying why they disliked it, I wouldn’t value that person’s opinion and likely take my money elsewhere.

Back on topic, I got my wish! We will see something on multiclassing soon! Weeeee!

Shroomy

Adventurer
BTW, it looks like another excerpt is almost up. I played around with the links in my browser and got a message stating that the article/feature was not live yet. Soon, very soon, oh yes....

Graf

Explorer
redshirt2005 said:
Hi folks,

Just a quick word about the excerpts we’ve been posting. One of our goals has been to help fill in the gaps, so to speak, regarding the 4th Edition rule set. I don’t want to release the complete schedule ahead of time, but we will have previews for the paragon tier (04/23), multiclassing (04/30), and the epic tier (05/12).

Bart Carroll
MAY? MAY?

But but but that's... WEEKS away.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Looks like Friday we get to look forward to "look inside the DMG regarding customizing monsters—plus a new monster from the Monster Manual!"

I wonder if this means templates, and the monster being what is having a template applied too.

Jack99

Adventurer
redshirt2005 said:
Hi folks,

Just a quick word about the excerpts we’ve been posting. One of our goals has been to help fill in the gaps, so to speak, regarding the 4th Edition rule set. I don’t want to release the complete schedule ahead of time, but we will have previews for the paragon tier (04/23), multiclassing (04/30), and the epic tier (05/12).

Bart Carroll

Thanks for stopping by and sharing more information. Let me just say that personally, I think you guys rock, and so does 4e, all you need to do now to please this customer, is to announce that 4e won't be completely closed to 3rd party publishers.

Cheers,

Remove ads