WotC WotC Makes Over $1B In 2021!

According to ICv2, D&D publisher WotC made over $1 billion in total sales in 2021, including $952M in tabletop games. WotC is the first (and only) billion dollar publisher in tabletop RPGs, although much of this revenue will also be due to Magic the Gathering. It is responsible for a staggering 72% of Hasbro's total operating profit. Interim CEO Rich Stoddart indicated that tabletop games...

According to ICv2, D&D publisher WotC made over $1 billion in total sales in 2021, including $952M in tabletop games.

WotC is the first (and only) billion dollar publisher in tabletop RPGs, although much of this revenue will also be due to Magic the Gathering. It is responsible for a staggering 72% of Hasbro's total operating profit.

Interim CEO Rich Stoddart indicated that tabletop games grew 44% and accounted for 74% of the $1.3B sales for WotC in 2021. The division at Hasbro is 'Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming', so the remained came from the Digital Gaming side of things.

wotc.jpg

Dioltach

Legend
There’s certain aspects of law practice where faxes are one of the few allowable forms of documentation.
In the Netherlands, the entire court system communicated by fax until just last week. They finally got rid of them on February 1, 2022. (Which meant that every law firm needed to have at least one fax available as well - usually turned a hideous greyish-yellow from age.)

Ulfgeir

Hero
Unfortunately Strength is a dump stat at WotC so no one can actually carry one million dollars...
Here is a link to an article describing the type of bag that IS designed to do just that...

And a link to the manufacturers site with the technical specs. Including how much $1 000 000 weights (if it is in $100-bills); 20.4 lbs, so what strength do you need to be able to carry that?

Last edited:

I don't know what some of you guys are on about, I think this is excellent news. I think it's great that the publishers of my favorite tabletop RPG are doing so well, and that their business is healthy, and that our hobby is growing.

I guess I'm just a weirdo.
I agree, this is very happy news. I mean who thought that DnD actually makes so much money that noonr has to worry that it is killed off.
I am also very positive that at this point a well made edition change will even increase the popularity, not lessen it, as long as the overhaul actually streamlines it, and also brings some more options.

My wish would be actually modularizing it. A lean base game presented in the phb and then useful options in the PHB and DMG.
I am also very positive that removing ASI and some spells in the monstrous compendium won't make the sky falling and I guess it won't make them sell any PHB less than not doing an overhaul. I mean, those who are content playing the current game as is won't probably buy another PHB. So chances are that in a saturated marked, adsing something new will make your company more profitable than hoping your 10 year old product will be profitable forever.

You might see the same thing in normal board games:
  • Game of thrones board game got an upgrade (incorporating different expansions intk the base game)
  • Arkham horror just got an upgrade.
  • Even long term profitable games got upgrades, like monopoly or risk.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads