WotC may have sent the Pinkertons to a magic leakers home. Update: WotC confirms it and has a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, it's an assumption on my part that he didn't have to sign a "don't put this on youtube" agreement as part of his normal interaction with his FLGS.

Happens at mine all the time.
So you guys negotiated the WoTC and distributor's contract? Can you tell us what is in it? Or would that break some NDA? It would be great if you could give us specifics of the contract, so we could all stop assuming things. It would be greatly helpful. I hate emaking statements based solely on what I assume.

It's really not. "This guy broke a contract that he signed" is not the same as "This guy did a thing that would have been bad if he signed that contract over there".
How is that different? The guy broke a contract he signed. Actually, both broke a contract they signed. Are you thinking WoTC didn't have anything in their contract regarding when the distributor was able to sell/release the product? If that's the case, it changes everything if true. But until we see an actual contract between WoTC and the dealer, I'm going assume there may have been something in there about release dates and sales. Unless they have a really dumb legal team.

LeviKornelsen

Explorer
How is that different? The guy broke a contract he signed. Actually, both broke a contract they signed. Are you thinking WoTC didn't have anything in their contract regarding when the distributor was able to sell/release the product? If that's the case, it changes everything if true. But until we see an actual contract between WoTC and the dealer, I'm going assume there may have been something in there about release dates and sales. Unless they have a really dumb legal team.

The YouTuber didn't sign a contract.

Again, I've said, Wizards may very well have a legitimate beef with the dealer, potentially a very expensive beef. This doesn't give them any power over the YouTuber.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
So you guys negotiated the WoTC and distributor's contract? Can you tell us what is in it? Or would that break some NDA? It would be great if you could give us specifics of the contract, so we could all stop assuming things. It would be greatly helpful. I hate emaking statements based solely on what I assume.
We're talking about the end customer. The dude whose house the Pinkertons showed up at. Whatever contract law transgressions happened between WotC/distributor/retailer is not his problem.

The YouTuber didn't sign a contract.

Again, I've said, Wizards may very well have a legitimate beef with the dealer, potentially a very expensive beef. This doesn't give them any power over the YouTuber.
Yeah, I think you are misconstruing what I have said. I agreed with you that WoTC does not have a contract with Cannon (the YouTuber). I agreed that WoTC's contract with the distributor does not create some legal obligation for Cannon (the YouTuber). I'm referring to the distributor. My comment was about how the distributor buying it does not mean WoTC doesn't have some legal right to the cards while they are in the possession of the distributor. Once they are gone, the YouTuber has no legal obligation to WoTC.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Irlo

Hero
We're talking about the end customer. The dude whose house the Pinkertons showed up at. Whatever contract law transgressions happened between WotC/distributor/retailer is not his problem.
Right. Just like the squirrel said.
Not a lawyer, but, WoTC can have a contract with the dealer/distributor/whomever, that they are not allowed to sell the cards until a specific date or until after a certain amount of time has passed. A couple of Years ago, Ford sued Jon Cena (some wrestlers guy - I guess he is famous) for having sold his Ford GT before he was allowed to. Cena sold the GT, and he was promptly sued by Ford. Cena ended up settling with Ford, probably because his lawyers told him he is going to lose and should just settle. In any case, just because a company sells a product, doesn't mean they lose all rights to that product. The dealer Cannon bought these cards from may be under a similar contract. Cannon has nothing to do with tat, so he i fine, but to say that once the cards were sold to the dealer, WoTC had no legal claims to them "at all" is not completely accurate.

Well there's the problem. You're talking about the end customer, and I'm talkin about the distributor. You know, you could just ask me to clarify next time if my post seems confusing. I have no issue with that.

Oh so he made them do it?
Who made who do what exactly? Today seems to be the day of confusions, so I'd like to know what you are referring to before I respond and we go back and forth for the next 30 pages before realizing we are talking about 2 different things.

LeviKornelsen

Explorer
My comment was about how the distributor buying it does not mean WoTC doesn't have some legal right to the cards while they are in the possession of the distributor. Once they are gone, the YouTuber has no legal obligation to WoTC.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Very much so, yes, thank you.

And, on that front... Maaaaaaybe? Like, it seems unlikely in general terms to me, but we have an obvious case of them being really weird about street dates, so the chance of their street date agreement also being weird kinda... goes up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads