• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC: Mistress of Pain submissons, who's trying?

LuYangShih

First Post
I personally approve of the guidelines. They are simply eliminating the ideas that have been done so many times no one wants to see them anymore. Or ideas that were once unique, but are now just bland, boring and predictable. (Like the Drow becoming good, for example.) I don't think it would be that difficult to write a story about a Priest/Priestess of Loviatar without those elements, either. I personally have no intention of entering, writing fantasy books is not an ambition of mine.

8XXX{0}====>

First Post
i would do this, but being a high schooler i'm not quite confident in my ability to actually write a whole book and do school.

Not to mention the fact that i dont quite know my talent level, except that it is somewhere above my grade level.

Although i like the idea of WotC branching out like this.

[blatant plug] And look for my forthcoming thread in the Story Hour forum: "The Defenders of Marshdale".[/ blatent plug]

Sword

Last edited:

Capellan

Explorer
BiggusGeekus@Work said:
Don't those guidelines of what not to do, like, make up half their books?

I think that's probably why they don't want them in this one :)

As another note, the book's title is actually "Maiden of Pain", rather than "Mistress of Pain". I don't know why, but I actually find "Maiden" a bit less tacky than "Mistress".

I'll definitely submit. I'd be a fool not to, given that fiction and game writing is something I am trying to get into. Kudos to WotC for giving people these opportunities, too.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
8XXX{0}====> said:
i would do this, but being a high schooler i'm not quite confident in my ability to actually write a whole book and do school.

Not to mention the fact that i dont quite know my talent level, except that it is somewhere above my grade level.
Two things:

Just because you submit the proposal doesn't mean you are going to write the book. And you are probably capable of all sorts of things you never knew you could do. Imagine how stoked you'd be if you won -- I bet you'd find all sorts of inspiration, be jotting notes in your classes, rushing home to get the next chapter done, showing pages to your friends. I wrote a fantasy novel in Grade 12 (most of it during physics) and it was a grand experience. As I finished each page I'd hand it off to my buddy sitting next to me -- not until the end of the year did I discover that he'd then been passing it around the whole class and that everyone had been reading my novel! I didn't quite finish it by the end of the year and the whole class tracked me down over the summer and demanded to read the ending.

Stuff like that makes you want more out of life. You can do it.

As far as talent goes, who can say? Talent's not always the prime factor anyway -- hard work and determination count for just as much as talent does, I can tell you that. As does luck, as does chutzpah and seizing the opportunity when it comes your way.

I'll tell you this: if you don't at least send in a submission, you'll spend your life wondering what might have been. Don't ever let yourself fall into that.

SUBMIT!

Tell your teachers what you're doing. If you win, and you end up having to write a professional novel during the school year, I GUARANTEE they will provide you with some sort of scholastic dispensation. Their job is to help you become a success. They'll help you if you give them the chance.

Submit, for the love of Loviatar!

Ashy

First Post
No doubt. I'm in. Especially considering I used to run a anti-paladin of Lovitar in an FR game! BWAHAHAHAHAH! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads