• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackMann

Adventurer
There is an important term that applies here: Opportunity Cost.

Even as the 800 lb gorilla, WotC only has so much in resources. They cannot do everything that everyone wants. So, they have to pick and choose. Doing what you want means time and resources not doing something else.

The question is then whether that something else is more lucrative, or otherwise better for business, than doing what you want.

And that is exactly where that opportunity cost comes in.
Not just company resources, but also customer resources. Part of this is obvious; if your fanbase only has a certain amount of money each month for gaming stuff, you don't want to be in a position where you need to take in more than that. However, there's another consideration: whale saturation.

Ideally, if you're WotC, you want your big fans buying all of your product. However, your customers only have so much money in a month. If you release too many products too quickly, then even your hardcore fanbase are going to be unable or unwilling to buy everything you release. Once people are no longer able to afford to buy each book as it comes out, it removes the urgency of "I must buy this!" So not only do they not buy the extra stuff you put out, they're not necessarily buying as much as they were before you saturated the release schedule.

Obviously, the point where that happens will differ from person to person depending on personal finances and willingness to allocate money for nerdery. But if your goal is to count on whales, you have to keep a close eye on that balance. Once someone stops auto-buying your stuff, it can be really difficult to bring them back, even if you cut back on the production line later on.

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
And also, Twitter!
1669183475499.gif

What an unfortunate choice of example for a visionary leader 🤣
Yet always the one whom so many people gravitate to as some sort of universal genius.

I don't get the Musk cult. To me the only thing impressive about him is that the people under his employ seem to be able to produce mostly functional cars and rockets despite being ruled over by the arbitrary whims of a mentally unstable tyrant with a god complex.

Last edited:

Kobold Press gets to innovate because they aren't trying to hold onto the #1 RPG spot in the world. They put out great stuff, that's true. But WotC can't innovate. The fans won't let them. Last time they tried we got 4E and the fans revolted. So WotC pulled back and went as safe, vanilla, middle-of-the-road as they possibly could with 5E.
That is a cop-out answer.
They can put forth new settings or expand on older ones - the Forgotten Realms is saturated with adventures within the Sword Coast. The Chult one is considered by many their best AP yet, why not touch on other areas beyond the Savage Frontier? What about the Points of Light setting? What about a new D&D setting altogether?

What about an entire Tome dealing with Modularity - dials for low magic setting rules, rest variants, grittier systems, re-looking at inspiration and personality traits, spell points, theatre of mind aids, 1e dungeoneering, hit point capping based on size + con/str, adding weapon complexity, variant initiative systems, wound/crit tables based on damage source, synchronistic combat, skill manoeuvres, skill challenges in 5e, expansion on disease/poison/madness/corruption, stamina system...etc
What about a Tome on High Level Play?

Clint_L

Hero
WotC has made D&D larger than ever before, by an order of magnitude. During 5e, it has become an iconic brand. So I feel like maybe they've done some things right.

That said, there is no doubt that the game has plateaued and might even be heading towards a downturn. Part of that is just economics: no brand could have 30% annual growth in perpetuity, or the entire planet would soon be nothing but DM screens, dice, and Critical Role fans. D&D was always going to slow down, and here it is.

On the other hand, sure, there are things that WotC could do better. Let's face it, they've been resorting to more and more niche offerings over the past few years, in a way that is a little bit reminiscent of late 2e, just before TSR went belly up. So I think they do need to stay focused on the meat and potatoes of the brand, and not put too much stock in your Strixhavens and Spelljammers.

And unlike TSR, WotC is run by professionals, so they seem to be aware of these issues and are trying to engineer a soft landing through OneD&D. I think they are smart to get away from the old "editions" model of trying to get the fans to replace all their books every 5-10 years, as that mostly just created a jumping off point and split the fan base. I'm not so sure about all their ideas about going digital. I love DnDBeyond but I'm going to reserve judgment on their digital tabletop ideas (of course, with a small fortune invested in hand painted miniatures and Dwarven Forge, I might be a little biased on this subject).

But do they need an Elon Musk? Does anyone need an Elon Musk? Does Elon Musk need an Elon Musk? I dunno. It's a weird thread title but I guess it got lots of us to post, so congratulations on effective clickbait, I suppose.

cwallach

Explorer
In recent years the pressure to increase profits has hurt the quality of recent D&D and MTG products. Selling them to Elmo would impose a debt burden and increase the pressure for profit. Followed by firing half the staff then what could go wrong?

That is a cop-out answer.
They can put forth new settings or expand on older ones - the Forgotten Realms is saturated with adventures within the Sword Coast. The Chult one is considered by many their best AP yet, why not touch on other areas beyond the Savage Frontier? What about the Points of Light setting? What about a new D&D setting altogether?

What about an entire Tome dealing with Modularity - dials for low magic setting rules, rest variants, grittier systems, re-looking at inspiration and personality traits, spell points, theatre of mind aids, 1e dungeoneering, hit point capping based on size + con/str, adding weapon complexity, variant initiative systems, wound/crit tables based on damage source, synchronistic combat, skill manoeuvres, skill challenges in 5e, expansion on disease/poison/madness/corruption, stamina system...etc
What about a Tome on High Level Play?
So the bold new visionary direction is making splatbooks that won’t sell beyond a very limited audience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads