WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardnaar

Legend
The school I work for has us teaching about the history of slavery and the treatment of Native Americans at the primary level (7-10 years old). It's not graphic, but the education system is not shying away from difficult topics.

Ours was probably a bit more graphic. The WW2 book was middle school/intermediate (age 10) highschool had adult books in the library (age 12)

History class was second year (age 13 turned 14). And the video we watched was quite graphic.

Voadam

Legend
Planescape had Cat, Eagle, Lizard, and Wolf lords. Original Cat Lord was in 1983, and there are a number of different generations of the Cat Lord title in various works. Cat Lord really got around in media.
And animal lords, including Meerclaw the Cat Lord, were part of Michael Moorcock's Elric stories before D&D and were done out in the 1e Deities and Demigods (Before the Cthulhu and Melnibonean mythos sections were pulled in reprints). Ed Greenwood explicitly took a number of these and Moorcock's elemental lords for use when originally constructing the Forgotten Realms pantheons.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Pathos, in the case of Tanis and others with that background.
And pathos can only be achieved via rape?

From what I recall of the character--it's been decades since I've read the books, but this was the one bit that always stuck with me--he's literally seen as less than human because of his half-elf status. Not in terms of species, but in terms of his worth as a person; he goes by Half-Elven because Half-Man means he's lesser. This is pathos, and would have worked just fine if his parents had had consensual sex.

Having him be the product of rape is just... lame.

And don't even get me started on his mother's apparent status as a disposable woman (emphasis mine): Wikipedia says: The violent nature of his conception, the nature of his birth, and the choice of his mother to die from shock after her assault all influenced the way the elves regarded Tanis and shaped his developmental years.

All that the rape did was turn a woman into a plot device.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
And pathos can only be achieved via rape?

From what I recall of the character--it's been decades since I've read the books, but this was the one bit that always stuck with me--he's literally seen as less than human because of his half-elf status. Not in terms of species, but in terms of his worth as a person; he goes by Half-Elven because Half-Man means he's lesser. This is pathos, and would have worked just fine if his parents had had consensual sex.

Having him be the product of rape is just... lame.

And don't even get me started on his mother's apparent status as a disposable woman (emphasis mine): Wikipedia says: The violent nature of his conception, the nature of his birth, and the choice of his mother to die from shock after her assault all influenced the way the elves regarded Tanis and shaped his developmental years.

All that the rape did was turn a woman into a plot device.
Where is that bolded piece from? I've never seen it before.

Faolyn

(she/her)
okay I stand corrected on the animal lords but what even are they? and why did they not catch on?
I don't think either TSR or WotC have ever done much most of the planar inhabitants. Modrons got a thing because they're kinda neat, but beyond that it's almost always been demons and devils. Eladrin were ignored until they got turned into a PC race, after all, slaadi are pretty much treated like demons, and I don't think the rilmani have been even thought about in decades. And almost all of the yugoloths other than arcanoloths got the shaft as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads