WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incenjucar

Legend
okay I stand corrected on the animal lords but what even are they? and why did they not catch on?
Animal Lord is basically a mystic legacy title that is passed on generation to generation as a kind of spiritual manifestation. They are mysterious, as they are more enduring than mere spirits but not so grandeous as deities. There are plenty of legacy powers tropes in modern fiction.
Given how often they were used, it DID catch on, they just didn't stay on forever, and WotC didn't seem to do anything with them. A lot of story elements died down with the loss of TSR, frankly, people just don't recognize them because it was so long ago.

These days furryphobia and furry trope polarization is probably a factor, thank you internet. People see animal traits of any kind and it's either anime cat girls or full on furries with no room for any other ideas. A lot of folks these days see someone with a tiger claw and immediately call them a furry instead of a person with a tiger claw, even if that's the only animal trait they have, and all things furry are obviously the most uncomfortable furry thing you can think of or at least cartoons for babies or whatever.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
They were sort of the paragon demigods of the animal ideal. Belief by lots of intelligent beings made gods, so they weren't quite that as animals don't have that sort of belief.
okay but what do they you know do? do they hang out with druids?

the lord of t-rexs would be horrible to fight but also super badass

Voadam

Legend
okay I stand corrected on the animal lords but what even are they? and why did they not catch on?
They were pretty prevalent in AD&D, the Cat Lord, from the 1e Monster Manual II and the Gord the Rogue novels even shows up in 1e Oriental Adventures as being found in Kara Tur. They were not omnipresent however.

I don't remember them being mentioned in 3e on though.

1670699546152.png
1670699591391.png

Incenjucar

Legend
okay but what do they you know do? do they hang out with druids?

the lord of t-rexs would be horrible to fight but also super badass
They hang out with animals. Sometimes they poke in on humanity to fix a problem related to their animals. For example, the Cat Lord might show up if some necromancer was experimenting on a lot of stray cats.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
They were pretty prevalent in AD&D, the Cat Lord, from the 1e Monster Manual II and the Gord the Rogue novels even shows up in 1e Oriental Adventures as being found in Kara Tur. They were not omnipresent however.

I don't remember them being mentioned in 3e on though.

View attachment 269300View attachment 269301
that is not a cat that is a dude.
They hang out with animals. Sometimes they poke in on humanity to fix a problem related to their animals. For example, the Cat Lord might show up if some necromancer was experimenting on a lot of stray cats.
that seems a bit dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads