WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I think an honest read of the OP is that they are likely frustrated with the output of classic setting material by WotC and they'd like the company to produce a decent setting book for the current edition. After 8 years they want someone to shake things up because it looks like they may not get what they want anytime in the near future. Henadic Theologian is not a gatekeeper or a toxic fan and it would be nice if we stopped painting them that way.

Tearing each other apart is not a good look for us.
it might help if we knew what he want beyond they vague statement of change.

And what reasons is there to believe that a cold and calculated shake-up will lead to that sort of product line change, specifically...?
You're right. A shake up may not be the answer. I'm not convinced a somebody from the ether can provide Theologian what he/she seeks. I'd think it have to be someone/s from within the hobby who has/have some history and knowledge. Perhaps hired as the primaries to work on a setting. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

Jahydin

Hero
I'm arguing they should put more effort into setting books so as not to alienate superfans and fans, because those groups are super important to creating the community and the buzz and keeping casuals from getting board and losing interest.

None of that is gate keeping casuals, it's the exact opposite, you use the superfans and fans to get the casuals and supercasuals, because they build hype, buy all kinds of products, and mentor casuals.

Explain what is toxic about wanting WotC to do a better job with settings?
Because in WotC's eyes, "superfans" and their vision of the game is precisely what they want to get away from. Many of the aspects that made D&D exciting, challenging, and/or dangerous is now labeled as "toxic".

I think your Musk reference is spot on, because at this point, the only way this would change is new leadership and a complete overhaul of the company.

In the mean time, have you tried out the new Pathfinder? Paizo still very much has the "hardcore" in mind and have been putting out some really creative content.

I'm argueing they should put more effort into setting books so as not to alienate superfans and fans, because those groups are super important to creating the community and the buzz and keeping casuals from getting board and losing interest.

This 'argument' makes a lot of assumptions about what drives dnd's popularity. In many ways the 5th edition shows that these assumptions are not true. Dnd popularity is driven by ease of use and low buy in (e.g. not having to learn reams of lore to participate), actual play and personality-driven social media, representations in popular culture (e.g. stranger things), and the dynamics around the pandemic. In other words, it is the 'casuals' watching stranger things and wanting to play 5-10 sessions of dnd that is driving engagement. That's the "buzz," not people nerding out over dragonlance lore on a message board (also a totally valid and great thing to do, but not a business strategy).

Bolares

Hero
I think an honest read of the OP is that they are likely frustrated with the output of classic setting material by WotC and they'd like the company to produce a decent setting book for the current edition. After 8 years they want someone to shake things up because it looks like they may not get what they want anytime in the near future. Henadic Theologian is not a gatekeeper or a toxic fan and it would be nice if we stopped painting them that way.

Tearing each other apart is not a good look for us.
I don't think Henadic is a gatekeeper, from what I've interacted with them before Henadic came of as intense and nostalgic for how things were in the past, but fun to talk to. The argument made here on the other hand, can be understood as gatekeepy. Asking for WotC to focus on the hardcore fans, even if you don't intend it, may cause new people to loose interest in the game.

Because in WotC's eyes, "superfans" and their vision of the game is precisely what they want to get away from. Many of the aspects that made D&D exciting, challenging, and/or dangerous is now labeled as "toxic".

I think your Musk reference is spot on, because at this point, the only way this would change is new leadership and a complete overhaul of the company.

In the mean time, have you tried out the new Pathfinder? Paizo still very much has the "hardcore" in mind and have been putting out some really creative content.
The reason why someone may not have followed Pathfinder is fear of the system mastery required and encounter prep. Has that changed for PF2?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't think Henadic is a gatekeeper, from what I've interacted with them before Henadic came of as intense and nostalgic for how things were in the past, but fun to talk to. The argument made here on the other hand, can be understood as gatekeepy. Asking for WotC to focus on the hardcore fans, even if you don't intend it, may cause new people to loose interest in the game.
So what are you supposed to do, not ever advocate for your preferences because people who don't share them will accuse you of "gatekeeping"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads