WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of that us clear at all, there is no evidence of anything you've said.

He's making massive changes at Twitter, you have to expect a pain period, we won't really be able judge for at least 5 years.
It isn’t 4d chess. It’s just flailing.

Regardless of whether he has a broader strategy for Twitter or not:
- there’s no strategy that starts with signing an offer to buy before doing your due diligence on the company and therefore massively overpaying;
-there’s no strategy that starts with suing the company that you are trying to buy in order to avoid buying it, basically, he just caused instability;
  • there’s no strategy that starts with scaring off your advertisers when they are overwhelmingly your principal source of revenue;
  • there are strategies that involve piling massive debt on the company. In cases where the company was unprofitable to begin with, these strategies don’t involve the company surviving;
  • there’s no strategy involved in antagonizing your regulator (the FTC), particularly when your company is already subject to a consent decree;
  • from a legal perspective, it seems increasingly likely that the mass firings were illegal in many jurisdictions, thereby engaging Twitter’s liability in several countries;
-from a business perspective, it is generally a poor idea to conduct mass firings at a company before you know exactly what the people you are firing do, as it ends up extremely time-consuming and expensive to reengineer processes and to fix code when institutional knowledge is gone;
- the verified checkmark debacle hurt Twitter’s reputation, which hurts when you absolutely need to grow the business.

Aldarc

Legend
He's making massive changes at Twitter, you have to expect a pain period, we won't really be able judge for at least 5 years.
You are already declaring Musk's Twitter as the model WotC should adopt while also telling us that we should wait five years before we can appropriately judge? Sorry, but that sounds like a clear sucker's game.

So how about this instead? You wait at least five years before judging and declaring to this forum that WotC needs an Elon Musk. After that time, if you still feel that Elon Musk's vision is the right call, then you can tell us all how wrong we were to doubt you and Elon Musk's "genius."

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So I haven't said anything for a bit, here, but... I ... I feel the need to remind people of a few things.

1) New and/or Casual Players do not ruin games or cause games to be ruined by bringing new perspectives that cause changes to the game when the developer/designer/publisher hears about it.

They cause the game to become more accessible to more people, 9 times out of 10. Mostly by getting rid of pointless or illogical ideas and traditions that are counterintuitive. THAC0 for example. Negative armor is better for the defender and increases the roll you have to make as an attacker... yaaaaay. It makes sense once you learn the convoluted math behind it... but you get the same result from the much easier 3e armor class system.

When I first saw that I was like "Oh no! Where are the THAC0 tables?!" and didn't understand how the attacks work until someone who never played 2e explained it... and then I was like "Oh. Yeah, that makes more sense."

Similarly, though a bit less accessible to the folks of this forum, I imagine, was the Purple Patch of City of Heroes.

In City of Heroes you gain powers as you level up, and slots you can add to powers to enhance them. Every power has 1 slot by default and you can put up to 5 more slots into any given power. When the game launched, everyone and their cousin six-slotted their attack powers for damage. When they landed a hit, they'd absolutely -destroy- their target, but you whiffed around 50-80% of the time (depending on the enemy).

The Purple Patch added diminishing returns to your slotting. So after 3 slots of damage, your increase was massively reduced for the next three damage enhancements. People screamed and wailed and quit the game because their damage was being nerfed... And then other people learned that putting in even -one- Accuracy enhancement increased your accuracy to hit 70-80% of the time, which increased your actual overall damage output higher than 6 slotting damage did. (Assuming you put 2-3 Damage Enhancements into the power instead of 6)

Those who had quit largely didn't return because they didn't like the change for some reason. But the change? The change was -good-. And it lead to other systems and enhancements being created. It lead to players getting access to the Real Numbers behind the powers of recharge times, accuracy, endurance cost, etc. It was the most maligned change made entirely for "Noobs who didn't like risks" that made it possible to create -vastly- tougher tank characters (Who weren't -actually- benefiting from 6-slotting damage nearly as much as they thought they were).

2) Businesses want to make money.

That means making things as accessible as possible. Linux is an amazing OS that you can do -so- much with... if you're a computer engineer/software developer. For the rest of us it's a rock wall. Linux could put their penguin on every billboard and bus stop in the world, have it do cute tricks in TV Commercials, even make an animated kids cartoon, all to advertise it massively.

That wouldn't increase its sales by a significant degree. Because even if a billion people were way more interested in Linux, they still wouldn't be able to -do- anything with it.

Making things more accessible just makes good financial sense. You're way more likely to successfully sell a product if you can explain it to a random person on the street in 2-3 sentences and show them why they need or otherwise desire that product within a couple sentences more. Advertising is a GREAT WAY to communicate those 2-3 sentences and the additional 2 sentences. But no matter how much advertising you do, if they're not going to find a use for your product they're not gonna buy it.

3) New perspectives show inaccessibility.

If you're not selling your product to a specific market segment at all, or your product isn't in that segment to the degree it exists in other market segments, what do you do? You find out -why-. And that means soliciting opinions and asking questions. And if you ask a bunch of people who -aren't- in that demographic, the answers are going to be based in stereotypes.

"Why aren't women buying our Bic pens to the same degree men are?" "We should make 'em pink and charge more!" "Brilliant! You get a raise, Dave."

503ce1d9ecad04f346000009

"Teenage Girls aren't buying enough globes!" "Make 'em Pink!" "RAISE FOR DAVE!"

51+AQcjzOES._AC_SY580_.jpg

"Our Primary demographic for Ouija Boards is 16 year old girls at slumber par-" "PINK!" "Take all the money, Dave, just all of it!"

maxresdefault.jpg

So... it's really important to get some more perspectives into any room where decisions are being made. And more than any other perspective, that means the perspective of the newb. Why? Because the noob has -interest- in your product, but has concerns about how it functions. And may have new ways of doing things that make more sense.

I played 2e from the early 90s 'til around a year after 3e came out. Once I knew the THAC0 tables I wasn't super interested in other ways to determine whether an attack landed or not. It worked, I understood it, it must be simple enough that anyone can understand it... But that change had an absolutely massive impact on the game's design. And it had a huge impact on how people reacted to the game. And D&D went from "Nerds in a Basement, or the booth at Denny's" into something -way- bigger than it had been, before.

By streamlining the math and getting rid of extraneous tables like the Rogue Skill Tables.

4) One person, one visionary, one perspective, can never do this.

A single person declaring unilaterally how things "Must Change" is never going to have the perspective to make serious sustained, impactful, and positive change.

D&D and WotC don't need a "Visionary". They need as many perspectives as possible with a general idea of what they want to hold onto, what makes D&D what it is.

The whole idea of the "Visionary Leader" is an authoritarian myth. Musk has been proven to be -way- less educated, insightful, and reasonable than anyone ever thought. From his meme culture to his thin skin to his endless continuous failures. Hyperloop, anyone?

'Cause nothing says "Innovator" like recreating a Subway and giving it a new name. And nothing says "Successful" like just not doing it. Just straight up not bothering to complete the work he was paid to do.

You are already declaring Musk's Twitter as the model WotC should adopt while also telling us that we should wait five years before we can appropriately judge? Sorry, but that sounds like a clear sucker's game.

So how about this instead? You wait at least five years before judging and declaring to this forum that WotC needs an Elon Musk. After that time, if you still feel that Elon Musk's vision is the right call, then you can tell us all how wrong we were to doubt you and Elon Musk's "genius."

Your taking me too literally. Maybe I should have said Zaslov/James Gunn instead, less controversial.

Like others have said before, I think the regular D&D customer base (which I think is a more suitable metric than the ambiguous casual and hardcore gamers) will be fine. It is clear to those who are not satisfied with the direction and/or content provided by WotC, will be able to rely on past material, online fans, DMsGuild + Enworld and other 3pp publishers.

It reminds me of what Mistwell once posted here in one of the Enhancing AP threads

Mistwell said:
One thing I am starting to love about this era of D&D is no matter what adventure WOTC puts out, the combined brainpower of the community works immediately and hard to enhance it to be the best adventure it can be. DMsGuild provides the financial incentive for people to make enhancements that others will love, which encourages others to do the same, so that even a mediocre adventure (to start) can end as a superb adventure.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Like others have said before, I think the regular D&D customer base (which I think is a more suitable metric than the ambiguous casual and hardcore gamers) will be fine. It is clear to those who are not satisfied with the direction and/or content provided by WotC, will be able to rely on past material, online fans, DMsGuild + Enworld and other 3pp publishers.

It reminds me of what Mistwell once posted here in one of the Ehancing AP threads
It works no only for adventures, but even for mechanical components.

How many threads on alternate stat generation, rest/recovery method, class revamp have we had just in the past 6 months.

Comes a time where I prefer to rely on my guts and the mind-hive of Enworld than expect a major company to give me everything the way I want it.

Bolares

Hero
So I haven't said anything for a bit, here, but... I ... I feel the need to remind people of a few things.

1) New and/or Casual Players do not ruin games or cause games to be ruined by bringing new perspectives that cause changes to the game when the developer/designer/publisher hears about it.

They cause the game to become more accessible to more people, 9 times out of 10. Mostly by getting rid of pointless or illogical ideas and traditions that are counterintuitive. THAC0 for example. Negative armor is better for the defender and increases the roll you have to make as an attacker... yaaaaay. It makes sense once you learn the convoluted math behind it... but you get the same result from the much easier 3e armor class system.

When I first saw that I was like "Oh no! Where are the THAC0 tables?!" and didn't understand how the attacks work until someone who never played 2e explained it... and then I was like "Oh. Yeah, that makes more sense."

Similarly, though a bit less accessible to the folks of this forum, I imagine, was the Purple Patch of City of Heroes.

In City of Heroes you gain powers as you level up, and slots you can add to powers to enhance them. Every power has 1 slot by default and you can put up to 5 more slots into any given power. When the game launched, everyone and their cousin six-slotted their attack powers for damage. When they landed a hit, they'd absolutely -destroy- their target, but you whiffed around 50-80% of the time (depending on the enemy).

The Purple Patch added diminishing returns to your slotting. So after 3 slots of damage, your increase was massively reduced for the next three damage enhancements. People screamed and wailed and quit the game because their damage was being nerfed... And then other people learned that putting in even -one- Accuracy enhancement increased your accuracy to hit 70-80% of the time, which increased your actual overall damage output higher than 6 slotting damage did. (Assuming you put 2-3 Damage Enhancements into the power instead of 6)

Those who had quit largely didn't return because they didn't like the change for some reason. But the change? The change was -good-. And it lead to other systems and enhancements being created. It lead to players getting access to the Real Numbers behind the powers of recharge times, accuracy, endurance cost, etc. It was the most maligned change made entirely for "Noobs who didn't like risks" that made it possible to create -vastly- tougher tank characters (Who weren't -actually- benefiting from 6-slotting damage nearly as much as they thought they were).

2) Businesses want to make money.

That means making things as accessible as possible. Linux is an amazing OS that you can do -so- much with... if you're a computer engineer/software developer. For the rest of us it's a rock wall. Linux could put their penguin on every billboard and bus stop in the world, have it do cute tricks in TV Commercials, even make an animated kids cartoon, all to advertise it massively.

That wouldn't increase its sales by a significant degree. Because even if a billion people were way more interested in Linux, they still wouldn't be able to -do- anything with it.

Making things more accessible just makes good financial sense. You're way more likely to successfully sell a product if you can explain it to a random person on the street in 2-3 sentences and show them why they need or otherwise desire that product within a couple sentences more. Advertising is a GREAT WAY to communicate those 2-3 sentences and the additional 2 sentences. But no matter how much advertising you do, if they're not going to find a use for your product they're not gonna buy it.

3) New perspectives show inaccessibility.

If you're not selling your product to a specific market segment at all, or your product isn't in that segment to the degree it exists in other market segments, what do you do? You find out -why-. And that means soliciting opinions and asking questions. And if you ask a bunch of people who -aren't- in that demographic, the answers are going to be based in stereotypes.

"Why aren't women buying our Bic pens to the same degree men are?" "We should make 'em pink and charge more!" "Brilliant! You get a raise, Dave."

503ce1d9ecad04f346000009

"Teenage Girls aren't buying enough globes!" "Make 'em Pink!" "RAISE FOR DAVE!"

51+AQcjzOES._AC_SY580_.jpg

"Our Primary demographic for Ouija Boards is 16 year old girls at slumber par-" "PINK!" "Take all the money, Dave, just all of it!"

maxresdefault.jpg

So... it's really important to get some more perspectives into any room where decisions are being made. And more than any other perspective, that means the perspective of the newb. Why? Because the noob has -interest- in your product, but has concerns about how it functions. And may have new ways of doing things that make more sense.

I played 2e from the early 90s 'til around a year after 3e came out. Once I knew the THAC0 tables I wasn't super interested in other ways to determine whether an attack landed or not. It worked, I understood it, it must be simple enough that anyone can understand it... But that change had an absolutely massive impact on the game's design. And it had a huge impact on how people reacted to the game. And D&D went from "Nerds in a Basement, or the booth at Denny's" into something -way- bigger than it had been, before.

By streamlining the math and getting rid of extraneous tables like the Rogue Skill Tables.

4) One person, one visionary, one perspective, can never do this.

A single person declaring unilaterally how things "Must Change" is never going to have the perspective to make serious sustained, impactful, and positive change.

D&D and WotC don't need a "Visionary". They need as many perspectives as possible with a general idea of what they want to hold onto, what makes D&D what it is.

The whole idea of the "Visionary Leader" is an authoritarian myth. Musk has been proven to be -way- less educated, insightful, and reasonable than anyone ever thought. From his meme culture to his thin skin to his endless continuous failures. Hyperloop, anyone?

'Cause nothing says "Innovator" like recreating a Subway and giving it a new name. And nothing says "Successful" like just not doing it. Just straight up not bothering to complete the work he was paid to do.
Can we frame this post and put it in the wall please?

Your taking me too literally. Maybe I should have said Zaslov/James Gunn instead, less controversial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases