WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
WotC's leadership "failed" their way to 5e exponentially enlarging D&D's player base and cultural footprint. But those levels of growth were always unsustainable, so now they are trying to engineer a soft landing, unlike the crashes that have plagued D&D in the past.

Previously, this is when TSR/WotC would have announced a whole new edition to try to get the hardcore base to replace all their books and thus infuse some fast cash into sales. But they are trying something new, now, which is to engineer a shift to a D&D culture that is perennial, where they can put out, say, a new PHB without it signalling that everyone needs to replace all their stuff...or maybe quit the game (or just stick with the old version, which from a WotC perspective is more or less like quitting the game).

All of which is to say that I think it's a little early to argue that WotC's leadership has failed.
Yet they still clearly want people to replace their hardcover books. They're just giving less reason to do so with this half-measure new edition.

Wow. I was mostly joking/oversimplifying in that post. It's crazy to see that this is actually what you want. That's absolutely anathema to me. I don't want to buy the same book over and over again. That's a waste of money to me, even if they're several years/even decades between release.

And as a newby game designer, I would hate having to do that.
Personally, I'd rather new material based on familiar concepts. SotDQ seems to be my ideal product; the basic underlying story is familiar, but you're telling a new story that doesn't do anything to the old stories while updating some of the mechanics in a way that works for the current edition. Continuing to use DL as an example since it's current, I have zero interest in a 5e adaption of DL1-14 being sold because I already own DL1-14 and can adapt them myself. Those stories have also been reprinted/adapted 3 other times (Classics compilation, the 2e/SAGA 15th anniversary book, and the 3e books from Sovereign Press). They're all easily available through DMs Guild so there's no reason to remake them imo.

Scribe

Legend
That is more or less the time it took for type 1 to get unreachable and forced modern to be a thing, and ten years after that, we have now pioneer because modern itself has gotten unreachable.

We could discuss that. Modern was not unreachable at all.

That'd be great, yeah. My favorite time in D&D's history for content.

And if you recall, the game did get saved.

As much as I wouldn't mind more setting splatbooks, my problem here is
  1. The most-likely candidate for these would be Forgotten Realms, which is the one setting I don't really desire more content from and

2. I feel like the setting stuff we've gotten so far hasn't been great. It's definitely improved over time, but I'm not sure more setting stuff will be a strength.
I mean, from your posts, you seem to want D&D to return to something more like it was in 2e or before. Meanwhile, Musk himself would probably describe himself as a disrupter.

A Muskhelmed D&D would probably have no print products at all, and possibly no products from WotC.

Possibly, though I do think with Twitter Musk has shown himself to want to return to something "before", something that doesn't really exist save in the minds of bitter people who don't like how "woke" things got. If we are actually talking Musk himself, I'd wager we return to stuff that was problematic but "classic".

But really, the whole Musk debate (while a hilarious and wonderfully-unified pile-on on a board that feels like it argues about everything) is kind of a strawman: the OP wants a "visionary" at the helm of 5E. And it's unfair to try and only associate it with the stupidity of a narcissist like Musk. However, even then I think it's just not a good idea. What we really don't need is a single "visionary" directing 5E, but a group of people making gentler changes for stability and quality.

Right now, 5E is in a pretty solid place sales-wise. Sales are insane, and while I would make the argument that it's so high on the book list because the only place you can properly read the rulebook is physically, they are still clearly making a bunch of cash. 1D&D looks like it has some good ideas for changes (even if they are not likely bringing me back to the game) and overall the whole franchise seems like it is in a really good place for the future. You don't need a singular visionary who is going out there to break things because nothing is really broken right now: things seem to be working fairly well on all fronts.

Rather, the biggest threat right now is continuing to dip into nostalgia. I'd rather see a Steering Committee that looks to how past stuff can be adapted and used in a way that won't have WOTC putting its foot in its mouth, as well as trying to keep a nice gap between the top and the most hardcore fans. One of the simplest things they could do with D&D is get a few sensitivity readers/editors to make sure they aren't doing anything bluntly stupid, while also pushing for newer voices and expanded settings beyond just "European High Fantasy". Al Qadim and Kara-Tur are interesting places to visit, but I really don't trust WOTC to do them with any sort of tasteful handling (I've heard good things about the fan Al-Qadim book on the DMG). They should look at adding new voices to update these places like Paizo did with their Mwangi Expanse book and now their Impossible Lands book, both of which are very good and the former being one of the most highly regarded setting books in my recent memory.

So yeah, I don't think we need someone big to make drastic changes because 5E is not in trouble. I would want to focus on polishing it and making sure it's in a good place for the future, which would be more about doing a better job of modernizing old material and raising new voices into positions of power to help the company from calcifying in the near future.

Jahydin

Hero
It is curious how the Great Man Theory of leadership finds new ways to be reasserted.
Maybe if the desire was for Musk to buy the company and design the best version of D&D himself.

But if the desire was to politically clean house back to a more neutral stance and allow creators to go ham without worrying about six levels of Sensitivity Experts , I think it's fair to say this is the best man for the job, no?

Unless I completely missed OP's reason for wanting Musk specifically...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads