WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Half of those are still there, I forget which, but its the ones that bordered energy planes.
Para-elemental were borders between elemental planes (such as Magma being between Fire and Earth)

Quasi-elemental were borders between the elemental planes and either the Positive or Negative energy planes (such as Lightning between Air and Positive, and Vacuum between Air and Negative).

And what little it didn't have was so dwarfed by what was added, that its no contest.
If by that you mean the Feywild and Shadowfell, I've never seen either of those as replacing the Inner Planes (excepting the traditional Four Element planes, obviously), and I do happen to largely like their addition to the cosmology.

If you're talking about the Elemental Chaos...eh... You do you, by all means, but as for myself, I've never really been a fan. Primordials are about the only cool concept that came out of it, and even then, they were largely just different flavors of archomental that would have fit in just fine if they'd just kept the quasi- and para-elemental planes to begin with.

Last edited:

Para-elemental were borders between elemental planes (such as Magma being between between Fire and Earth)

Quasi-elemental were borders between the elemental planes and either the Positive or Negative energy planes (such as Lightning between Air and Positive, and Vacuum between Air and Negative).

If by that you mean the Feywild and Shadowfell, I've never seen either of those as replacing the Inner Planes (excepting the traditional Four Element planes, obviously), and I do happen to largely like their addition to the cosmology.

If you're talking about the Elemental Chaos...eh... You do you, by all means, but as for myself, I've never really been a fan. Primordials are about the only cool concept that came out of it, and even then, they were largely just different flavors of archomental that would have fit in just fine if they'd just kept the quasi- and para-elemental planes to begin with.

I'm thinking more broadly in total size then comparing region for region, although if I did I'd use the completely new 5e Elemental Region, The Border Elemental (which as far as I can tell each Wildspace & planets gets its Border Elemental Regions/Paraelemental Regions).

Like there is the Border Elemental Region of Fire mirroring Toril, but also also mirroring Glyth and a different one mirroring Krynn.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You need an entire quasi-elemental plane of salt for 1 minor variation of genasi? That's kind of like saying we need a plane of existence for left-handed dwarven wood workers, it's just not necessary. I mean, there's only 3 LHDWW known to exist, but they have to come from somewhere!

I know it's supposed to be the opposite of the plane of water. But it's just overly complicated filler that serves no real purpose that couldn't be covered by, oh I don't know, a big salt flat desert somewhere. 🤷‍♂️
Then maybe don't use it? There's no reason to remove things other people like because you don't want to go through the "effort" of ignoring them.

Micah Sweet

The inner planes are underdeveloped, but contain significant potential for the sufficiently inclined. D&D historically thinks of the inner planes last, probably because they're too hostile and alien to just make it into a generic setting with bigger monsters like they do most planes.
There was a great Planescape guide to the Inner Planes. That setting had it all.

The Doomguard also had a presence on the Negative Quasi-Elemental Planes.

They kept a citadel in each and ended up retreating to these after they lost their headquarters in Sigil during the Faction War, then ended up splintering over differing takes on the Doomguard's core philosophical views on Entropy.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

I don't use it. I was just expressing an opinion that they got carried away with the number of planes.
Fair enough. I'd  always rather have more stuff than less, and will challenge any opinion towards removing material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads