WotC WotC partners with Start Playing to connect players and DMs and form tables.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
By the same token, if that's all you're looking for, try Maptool. It's a bit long in the tooth, but, it will certainly cover all of that, and for free.
I'm still a Map Tool fan, but proper network configuration can be a pain for less technical users. Same with self and locally hosted Foundry.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I'm still a Map Tool fan, but proper network configuration can be a pain for less technical users. Same with self and locally hosted Foundry.
Yeah I went with The Forge for hosting Foundry because it made everything super easy. It's had some occasionally server outages which has been frustrating, but it's probably less than a dozen times in the two years I've used it (and figure I'm using it multiple times per week).

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yeah I went with The Forge for hosting Foundry because it made everything super easy. It's had some occasionally server outages which has been frustrating, but it's probably less than a dozen times in the two years I've used it (and figure I'm using it multiple times per week).
Wow, anything near a dozen times in two years is not good. I also use the Forge and have never had issues, but I only one a game once a month.

Overall, I've been very happy with the Forge. It was a god send when I was running games overseas with my players in the US. I set up the game server location for the US. But what's really nice is having the media assets served up from the closest server of the nearly 200 servers around the world. The customer support has been great. The pricing for a very large campaign I was running was good as well (Roll20 didn't even have a tier high enough to host all the maps I needed for my Rappan Athuk campaign--at the time I was comparing at least). Also, any mod you install, or any content you purchase, using The Forge marketplace isn't counted in your hosting volume. The interface for managing your games and backups is also very nice.

But if I had run into the number of outages you have, I'd be much less happy.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Wow, anything near a dozen times in two years is not good. I also use the Forge and have never had issues, but I only one a game once a month.

Overall, I've been very happy with the Forge. It was a god send when I was running games overseas with my players in the US. I set up the game server location for the US. But what's really nice is having the media assets served up from the closest server of the nearly 200 servers around the world. The customer support has been great. The pricing for a very large campaign I was running was good as well (Roll20 didn't even have a tier high enough to host all the maps I needed for my Rappan Athuk campaign--at the time I was comparing at least). Also, any mod you install, or any content you purchase, using The Forge marketplace isn't counted in your hosting volume. The interface for managing your games and backups is also very nice.

But if I had run into the number of outages you have, I'd be much less happy.
Haha yes, if I only ran a game once per week it'd probably be nearer 2 outages in 2 years. But since I have a game most nights and one morning, I get most of the issues.
To be fair, not all of their outages have been THEIRS- though many have. But Cloudflare is hardly under their control. And yes they're very helpful with technical issues etc.

Remove ads