D&D 5E WOTC Possibly Removing "Druids" for Religious/Cultural Sensitivity Reasons

WOTC is considering removing "Druid" and "Shaman" creature types in M:TG and I imagine if it is on the radar for Magic that it is possibly being discussed on the D&D side as well. Certainly, if they think this is an issue in the long term, nipping it in the bud by changing the class name in 2024 would be better than letting the issue fester. I know that D&D isn't going to revive the "Shaman" class (or as a subclass) at any point due to cultural appropriation and similar issues, but I haven't heard much objection from neo-pagans over the years about the Druid as a class in the game. That could also impact the World Tree Barbarian if they are trying to avoid too much overlap with real world European traditional religious practices.

https://aetherhub.com/Article/WOTC-Is-Considering-Not-Using-Druid-Or-Shaman-Creatures-Anymore

Any thoughts?

aco175

Legend
The link was blocked by my computer, possibly since I'm on vacation and on another wifi.

The topic does not sound much different than threads we had on monks and clerics with not having cool names anymore. Does not surprise me if it is true.

Tony Vargas

Legend
...the Cleric, Bard, Monk, Paladin, Sorcerer, and Warlock should probably go, too?
:unsure:
...oh, and the Totem Barbarian and Berserker.... I guess just the Barbarian, period....

....that'd leave, what, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, & Wizard....
1696980744799.png

....yeah, that'd do. ;)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Is this based on anything at all besides someone making up a "get mad" article? Actual context or reporting from the company, or is it entirely speculative?
It's all being spun up out of a one-sentence answer on MTG designer Mark Rosewater's blog on Sept. 28:
a-goat-chariot-rider said:
In reference to the question about using witch as a creature type: if 'witch' is excluded bc of its significance as a real world religious identifier, why are 'shaman' and 'druid' creature types?
Mark Rosewater said:
We are currently examining that exact topic.
It's a long way from the MTG reportedly looking at retiring the druid type in MTG to the druid not appearing in the 2024 PHB. On Oct. 5, he walks back an earlier rumor that MTG is removing the witch type.

So, yeah, probably not a lot of reason to get wound up about this at this point.

Last edited:

Well this has sent me down a rabbit hole. I could've told you that Druids had a priestly or shamanic role in Celtic societies and were pretty much wiped out during the Christianization of the British Isles. But that is about it. Some neat things I learned:
  • It seems that Druid and Bard both come from the same area and time, with some people in folklore having both titles.
  • There is very little written records from Druids with speculation that they were forbidden from writing down what they knew.
  • The term Druid died out sometime in the 2nd century, makes a return in medieval times in poems/mythology, followed by a larger revival in the 18th and 19th centuries.
  • It seems divination was a big part of their job in societies along with being philosophers, advisors, and handling religious affairs.
  • In more modern times there are a lot of groups using the term Druid for religious and cultural reasons. Wikipedia lists some of the more prominent groups as well as some statistical breakdowns of modern Druids and what brings them together and sets them apart.

MGibster

Legend
In an effort to avoid causing offense and to make D&D a bit more generic in order for you to make the world your own, I propose the following changes to class names.

Wizard - Magic User
Sorcerer - Magic User 2: Electric Boogaloo
Warlock - Magic User 3-D
Cleric - Magic User 4: This time, it's personal
Druid - Magic User 5: The search for more money
Bard - Bane O' Snarf

Fighter - Fighter (It's already perfect.)
Rogue - Rogue (You can't beat this one.)
Paladin - Spirital-But-Not-Religious Fighter
Ranger - Why Do You Even Exist?
Monk - Cainites

Remove ads