WOTC, Scott, Where in the World is the GSL

Enkhidu

Explorer
Carnivorous_Bean said:
I fail to see how shunting a competitor into back-burnersville of 3e nostalgia is shooting oneself in the foot...

Up until today, Paizo wasn't a competitor for WotC, but rather a complimentary business partner - quite simply, the adventure paths helped sell WotC hardbacks, both before and after the transition from Dungeon to Pathfinder. And while WotC didn't cause themselves real harm with the delay of the GSL, they have lost an opportunity to line up another partner to help create the killer app package that will drive 4e sales.

Stogoe

First Post
I'm not going to say that I'll never buy third party products, but they play essentially zero factor in my 'switching' decision. I hope Paizo endures their year or so of obstinance, and I hope to see them publish for 4e in the future. I may even take a gander at their 4e products, even though I'm not in the habit of buying published adventures.

Also, WotC definitely should have got the GSL out months and months ago.

Firevalkyrie

First Post
Stogoe said:
I'm not going to say that I'll never buy third party products, but they play essentially zero factor in my 'switching' decision. I hope Paizo endures their year or so of obstinance, and I hope to see them publish for 4e in the future. I may even take a gander at their 4e products, even though I'm not in the habit of buying published adventures.

Also, WotC definitely should have got the GSL out months and months ago.
I'll second this. It's affecting me both as a gamer and as a would-be freelance designer.

Pale

First Post
They aren't being obstinant... they simply have no choice in the matter. Also, Paizo now publishes Necromancer Games products and from what we know NG will still be switching to 4E. Two markets instead of one isn't a 'bad' decision.

Nytmare

David Jose
I don't know. I think that starting your own, backwards compatible, 3.5+ RPG, marketting straight at the abused children of 3.5, that is in open playtesting for the next year kinda means that they're not planning on touching 4th Ed at all. At least not unless they're willing to eat a heck of a lot of crow a year or more down the line.

Haffrung Helleyes said:
My uninformed guess is that the Hasbro suits intervened. I can't imagine any other reason why the GSL would still be missing after being promised in November.

The GSL delay is really puzzling. WTH is going on?

And now it's cost 4E Paizo. Talk about shooting one's self in the foot.

However I don't know that this delay has cost them Paizo. Erik Mona was talking about doing a possible 3.75 soon after the original 4e announcement and I don't recall much positive comment from anyone at Paizo about the new edition. They never seemed enthusiastic about it, and obviously they've been working on Pathfinder RPG for some time.

I'm more worried that it'll cost Wizards the support Necromancer Games, as Clark has shown real interest. They should just sign him up as a freelancer so he can see the rules.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Wisdom Penalty said:
I agree with the OP. WotC should be ashamed at the delay.

Paizo's move was somewhat forced upon them yet, despite that, I fear it was a very poor choice for their company and a very regrettable day for the gaming industry.

Not sure what else to say. Sorta surprised and saddened in equal measure.

W.P.
I'm with Gareth Michael Skarka and Chris Pramas on this one: "I'm not exaggerating at all when I say this: Paizo has just single-handedly insured that there will be a commercially-viable audience for non-4E D&D releases, industry-wide. Bravo." From here; "I can easily envision 4E and Pathfinder both being successful for their parent companies." from here.

I sincerely hope that all of these ventures - 4th Edition, Necromancer's move to develop for 4th Edition before seeing the GSL, Pathfinder, etc. - pay off. And, with some cautious reservation, I think they all might.

Kesh

First Post
Scholar & Brutalman said:
The GSL delay is really puzzling. WTH is going on?

Every post I've seen by WotC employees has hinted that the legal issues are the delay. My guess is that WotC/Hasbro wants the license to be a very specific way, which means when the lawyers say "This doesn't fit what you wanted," the WotC team has to rewrite that part, and the lawyers have to start over again to determine how the change affects the rest of the GSL now.

In other words, they're stuck in an infinite lawyer loop.

Remove ads