WotC To Give Core D&D Mechanics To Community Via Creative Commons

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license.

This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'.

So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently available as Open Gaming Content under the existing Open Gaming License, so while it's termed as a 'give-away' it's actually a reduction. It doesn't include classes, spells, or magic items. It does include the combat rules, ability scores, and the core mechanic.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
Except they make it revocable in Section 9 (b).
1.0a is just as irrevocable as 1.2. Neither one spells out the relevant revocation (the one of WotC no longer offering the license)

Arguably it is more revocable, because in 2000 distinguishing irrevocable from perpetual was not practice yet and perpetual commonly meant both (if the license is perpetual, how can it be revocable…)

Last edited:

Xyxox

Hero
putting the mechanics under CC does not prevent this either though, at most it encourages it, as you do mot need their races and classes, etc. anyway. So not sure how much of a concern this really is.

You cannot prevent this no matter what you put in your OGL and it rarely happens no matter what is in it
Not to mention the market itself squashes any potential profit motivation which limits the spread of the content.

Keep in mind, any group attempting to do this is only doing it to gain notoriety and media spreading the news that it did this.

mamba

Legend
I don't see how it is possible for Kobold Press to do that under what is proposed.To get everything in the 5E rules, they must agree to the new OGL.
They do not need to clone 5e. What they ‘need’ might very well all be in the CC part. Arguably they need nothing at all and can just describe it in their own words instead.

mamba

Legend
SRD 5.1 will not end up under the Creative Commons in total. Only part of it will, and likely that will be very small, though we do not yet know the extent of it.
we know, all the rules, the monster description (ie what every stat is) and the conditions (poisoned, etc)

Xyxox

Hero
They do not need to clone 5e. What they ‘need’ might very well all be in the CC part. Arguably they need nothing at all and can just describe it in their own words instead.
I think they would be better off than getting mixed up in the mess that is the Creative Commons. CC was never designed for use with TTRPGs and as such should not be used, IMO. Great for documentation about open source software and some other uses, but lousy for this sort of content in my humble opinion.

mamba

Legend
I think they would be better off than getting mixed up in the mess that is the Creative Commons. CC was never designed for use with TTRPGs and as such should not be used, IMO. Great for documentation about open source software and some other uses, but lousy for this sort of content in my humble opinion.
It’s probably more important to separate what is yours from what is derived / original than before, but should be manageable.

If Kobold though they could pull this off before, this only makes it easier;)

Yaarel

He Mage
no they would not, you keep proving that you have no idea what you are talking about with every post you make
Based on your posts, it seems either you dont understand what I am saying, or you dont understand what the CC license is saying.

Try paraphrase in your own words what you think I am saying. I can see if you are catching my point.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases