D&D 5E WotC to increase releases per year?

Lots of good ideas in this thread . . .
  • Monster Manual (revised and expanded), maybe PHB & DMG also
  • More setting & genre combo books (ex: Ravenloft + horror)
  • More monster books: Fiend Folio, Creature Catalog

When it comes to monster books, I'm always down for more, more, more. But my dream product is an art-filled, coffee-table sized expanded MM, with as many 5e monsters in it as possible and stuffed to the gills with art and informational sidebars for interesting IP monsters (which was found to an extent in the Art and Arcana book). It would no doubt be very expensive, but I would buy it in a heartbeat...

darjr

I crit!
When it comes to monster books, I'm always down for more, more, more. But my dream product is an art-filled, coffee-table sized expanded MM, with as many 5e monsters in it as possible and stuffed to the gills with art and informational sidebars for interesting IP monsters (which was found to an extent in the Art and Arcana book). It would no doubt be very expensive, but I would buy it in a heartbeat...
This!!! Yeas this! I would snap this up.

Dire Bare

Legend
I like your kind of thinking . . . .

While I do want more monster books, and I'd be pretty happy with a "Monster Manual II" . . . . I'd rather a new monster book be more in the style of Volo's & Mordenkainen's, where we get new monsters, new stat-blocks, but also articles that expand on the mythology and in-game uses of monsters. Perhaps a chapter on new and unusual mounts, another chapter on animal companions/familiars, perhaps some stat-blocks made specifically for monstrous sidekicks . . . .

And yes, lots and lots of gorgeous art!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I want more crunch books. I wouldn't mind more monsters, but I will echo those here who have said that they want monsters that have much more interesting special abilities.

Another thing I'd like to have (but others may not) is a genuine dedicated spellbook that contains all of the spells released to date plus new ones. As well as some gorgeous art of course.

This dream book would also better balance the spells between the different schools of magic. No more schools with 0 spells at certain levels for example.

I have occult philosophy for shadow of the demon lord and its 800 spells over 42 schools of magic are an absolute treat for players and GMs alike.

JEB

Legend
Way back in 2016, in the first chapter of Volo's Guide to Monsters, they said:
You might be wondering why certain monsters were chosen above others. Where are dragons and githyanki? What, no fiends or undead? We hope to tackle other monsters in other products over time.
We got githyanki and fiends in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, but we're well overdue for dragons and undead.

I thought we might get undead this year, back when the Boneyard minis set was announced, but it turned out to be Ravenloft instead - which I'm certainly happy to have, though I think there's room for an undead-specific book as well (and hope Ravenloft isn't as much as we'll get).

Meanwhile, that UA featuring dragon-based subclasses pretty much guarantees us something dragon-related in the near future, but that seems more likely an indicator for Dragonlance than a general dragon book at this point (though again, why not both?).

I think it'd be pretty neat to get books for all of the creature types eventually. I'm sure some of the designers would love to do more with fey, for example.

JEB

Legend
Another thing I'd like to have (but others may not) is a genuine dedicated spellbook that contains all of the spells released to date plus new ones. As well as some gorgeous art of course.

This dream book would also better balance the spells between the different schools of magic. No more schools with 0 spells at certain levels for example.

I have occult philosophy for shadow of the demon lord and its 800 spells over 42 schools of magic are an absolute treat for players and GMs alike.
I'm not sure about this specifically, but I wouldn't mind seeing a book dedicated to magic in D&D generally, to include new spells, magic items, and other related topics. However, I think books like Xanathar's and Tasha's are as specific as they want to get with books that will be heavy on player-facing options, and Tasha's may have already been intended as a more magic-oriented expansion.

I also suspect, with the announcement that they're abandoning PHB + 1 for Adventurers League, that reprints will no longer be a priority for newer books. (Such material is more likely to be part of a 5.5E/6E update.)

teitan

Legend
What else should or can wotc print?
Monster updates are always good. I know many are on DMSGuild but I've always found 3rd party kinda questionable and it still applies to companies not called Kobold Press so far. Not meant as an insult but not good for my game. I'd love to see an undead themed sourcebook since we have a general monster type book with Volo and a planar conflict/race sourcebook with Mordenkainen. Maybe even do an undead volume and then do vol. 2 of each or some such. Spellbooks are always popular. Do another regional FR book that covers a region not touched in 5e yet like Dalelands, Moonsea and Cormyr. Dragonlance sourcebook. I'd rather see a Manual of the Planes that supports Planescape than a planescape book in and of itself. A good Deity & Demigods sourcebook that is designed for players and brings all the divine stuff together. Cover a couple pantheons, go in depth on the Dawn War pantheon. A dragon themed sourcebook. I don't need a DMG2, PHB2 or MM2-infinity. I like the format of 5e so far and they should stick to that. I also think that they should release a separate adventure book when they release settings, kinda like they did in 4e. I don't think they really need to go beyond 6ish books a year. Sounds like the accelerated schedule is not much different than last year where we got Theros, Tasha's, Wildemount, Rime of the Frostmaiden, & revised Strahd.

teitan

Legend
The errata is in every newly printed version already.

And I'd loathe a rerelease of core that's supposed to be the exact same game but tweaked. Because if they tweak or rewrite anything then you suddenly have the opportunity for two different texts of supposedly the same edition to be able to be interpreted differently. Nothing has the ability to mess up the game like unintentionally differing but both official versions of core rules.
I get it but that is essentially what happened with revised 2e but if it does happen let's hope it doesn't turn out uglier like 2e Revised because they went from decent looking books to ugly as sin. There were a lot of small changes in the text to clarify how it read and some optional things added but mostly it was a visual refresh. I am a huge Easley fan and even those covers I hated. The only one that was an improvement was the Monstrous Manual.

I'd be fine with a tweaked/refreshed Revised 5e along those lines if they maintain compatibility in the sam eway 2e was still compatible with it's revision. 3.5 went way too far while they claimed it would be compatible, all those small changes added up to major changes. If they do that I will be done and just sticking to 5e or PF2. Not out of spite but because I am approaching 50! A tweak that took into account the Tasha's lineage rules while also presenting the default for example (not a deal breaker per se) and adding fan favorite subclasses, expanding the DMG with some rules clarifications, optional rules and the like, maybe a sample city and expanding the MM to include new monsters not converted yet would be sweet.

Remove ads