D&D 5E WotC to increase releases per year?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm already at the point where I haven't cared about how many HC adventures built for FR campaigns for a long time now so without more information on the kind of extra book(s) they will be pushing out I'm not sure if I have a reaction yet. I'd probably pickup a darksun & maybe planescape book but not at all interested in FR or Greyhawk adventures & probably would actively avoid a planescape book because those last three are so far downright hostile to other settings.

I'm itching for a 5.5 that brings back things like tactical combat*, a decent level of crunch, & otherwise addresses the usual asortment of 5e's weaknesses though.
* The standard definition for tactical combat in ttrpgs not some reimagined speed factor/greyhawk initiative or those theros puzzle monsters redux thought up by someone that doesn't like the tactical components of ttrpgs

Faolyn

(she/her)
What else should or can wotc print?
Draconomicon (possibly with Council of Wyrms), Manual of the Planes (probably with Planescape), Spelljammer, Dark Sun.

The other parts of Faerun: Kara Tur, Al Qidam, Maztica, the Hordelands, whatever. With lots of cultural consultants, please.

In 1e, they had the Wilderness Survival Guide and Dungeoneer's Survival Guide. In 3e, they had Frostburn, Sandstorm, and Stormwrack. Clearly they need to do a great big ol' combination of So-and-So's Guide to the Most Dangerous Places.

A guide to the Shadowfell, Feywild, and Far Realms assuming those aren't brought into Manual of the Planes/Planescape.

Ghostwalk/Liber Mortis, assuming that doesn't get brought into the upcoming Ravenloft book. Which it probably won't.

Scribe

Legend
I guess it makes sense for some of the more recent releases. I don't think Storm King's Thunder would have attracted too many new players, but I can see Avernus doing so, given the high profile on Baldur's Gate in adjacent media and the cool Mad Max war machines, etc... I wonder if we have any way of knowing whether the Magic settings drew players of that game into D&D who had not done so before. Also, it suddenly occurs to me that I have no idea who plays Magic, demographic wise.
Pretty shared demographic I would imagine, especially the younger (sub 30s?) folks.

I'd agree Adventure books probably not a huge draw, but settings? That's where I think you break into new markets.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Agreed. One of the problems in pretty much every edition after the first is that the first MM is expected to include all the iconic monsters, and yet monster design tends to improve over time. This means that, a few years in, the iconic monsters are almost inevitably the least interesting (mechanically) in the game.

When 4e did the "Monster Vault", cleaning up and reissuing all those existing monsters, it made for a very significant improvement, and 5e would benefit from much the same thing, IMO.
I think they could probably do the same with a collection of extra options, rather than a full MM. Like, in one of the adventures (Storm King's?) they had new actions for giants. They could do the same for all of the major monsters. What they would need to do is be willing to sell a pdf of such actions. That way they could do the update without selling a book that's mostly reprints.

OB1

Jedi Master
I guess it makes sense for some of the more recent releases. I don't think Storm King's Thunder would have attracted too many new players, but I can see Avernus doing so, given the high profile on Baldur's Gate in adjacent media and the cool Mad Max war machines, etc...
I'm not sure it was the plan originally (with PotA and STK) but PHB sales have consistently spiked (at least on Amazon) when a new AP or CS came out, and I think they've moved to capitalize on that as a strategy to increase the player base and maximize profit from PHB sales. Giving new players lots of entry point options makes it easier to get new players to try D&D and ultimately sell more books. Ultimately it's about creating a wider base than about selling more to a smaller established base, and given the growth in players and profit margins that WOTC reported yesterday it appears to be working.

Dire Bare

Legend
Lots of good ideas in this thread . . .
  • Monster Manual (revised and expanded), maybe PHB & DMG also
  • More setting & genre combo books (ex: Ravenloft + horror)
  • More monster books: Fiend Folio, Creature Catalog
WotC hasn't given much attention to the 5E settings so far beyond the initial setting book. I wonder if expanding that to 2-3 books per setting might work better? Add a monster book that works both as a generic D&D monster book but with a focus on a particular setting. Add an adventure path to highlight the setting. Of course, fans who don't care for any given setting would then NOT purchase 3 books instead of just 1 . . . .

I'd like to see brand new settings that highlight a fantasy genre slightly outside of D&D's normal purview, each book introducing the new setting AND having guidelines on how to run that genre or style of fantasy game. For example, while I'm not personally much of an anime fan, creating an anime-inspired setting with guidelines on how to run your own anime-styled world would be cool.

Mercurius

Legend
Who are these going to sell to? Even at one per year there is no time to run them all. I think a collection of smaller adventures per year is a good idea, though.
A few things. One, Paizo does two paths per year. Two, options. If you don't like one, there's always another coming down the pike. Three, people buy things they don't plan on playing. Finally, I should have written "two adventure books - one path, one compilation or sandbox."

What should wotc stay away from? I’m thinking avoid splat books.
I tend to agree, although think they could easily support a single splat per year, especially if they alternate DM (monsters) and player (players options). Oh wait, they're pretty much already doing that.

Remove ads